Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS3 HDCP Handshaking issue.

Options
  • 01-04-2010 2:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭

Theres an awful issue that many PS3 users are suffering from today, it is known as a HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection) handshaking issue between the PS3 and the HD TV. It only really occurs when I have the display set to 1080p.

Regularly it will cause the display to Flicker, such as horizontal lines appearing across the screen for a split second. It gets utterly annoying, and I want to get rid of it desperately!

Now before you give me any suggestions................. Its not the HDMI cable, as its a 1.3 b ,10.2 Gb/s Gold plated HDMI. My Tv is 1080P certified , I can play my Xbox 360 and separate Blu ray player both on 1080P with no problems. And the PS3 is not faulty, Its a brand new 250 GB slim . Also thousands of other users are suffering from this problem as by seeing the Youtube videos they posted...

Does anyone else know the issue that I am talking about? or are any of you suffering from it also? Will Sony be able to fix it with an update??? Any info is appreciated, Thanks!

PS: I have added a link to a video to show you the issue clearly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KngWv4ySgYQ

Comments

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I had problems with 1080p and finally... it was the cable. Despite the cable working in other HDMI machines... PS3 has some kind of higher fidelity requirement.

I would do two things if I were you (and I pulled my hair out with this issue).

1. Update your TV's firmware, you'll need to download a file and stick it on a USB key probably. That did make things better for me...

2. Get a loan of a branded or high quality cable and try it, ideally as new as possible and already working with a PS3.

You are saying something impossible.... all the parts cant be working because, well, its not working (well). Start eliminating parts of the equation one at a time until something changes. That gives you more info and something more to work with.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭!MAVERICK!

DeVore wrote: »
    I had problems with 1080p and finally... it was the cable. Despite the cable working in other HDMI machines... PS3 has some kind of higher fidelity requirement.

I would do two things if I were you (and I pulled my hair out with this issue).

1. Update your TV's firmware, you'll need to download a file and stick it on a USB key probably. That did make things better for me...

2. Get a loan of a branded or high quality cable and try it, ideally as new as possible and already working with a PS3.

You are saying something impossible.... all the parts cant be working because, well, its not working (well). Start eliminating parts of the equation one at a time until something changes. That gives you more info and something more to work with.

DeV.

Im trying to get an update on my tvs firmware, but on the LG website it has nowhere where you can download a firmware update , here http://www.lg.com/uk/support/product/support-product-profile.jsp?customerModelCode=32LG6000&initialTab=documents&targetPage=support-product-profile

Is there any other way i can get a firmware update? I called LG support but my TV is a half month out of warranty... so they are unwilling to help me??? That is complete ignorance in my opinion, never going to buy LG products in my life again because of that.

Any I really doubt its the HDMI because its really high quality, Its a 1.3 b Version, and it transfers 10.2 GB/S , and i used it with another Blu ray player and my Xbox 360 on my Tv displaying 1080p and no problems... but I did try 3 other HDMI cables that I had and they didn't solve anything....

So I really think its the PS3s fault, maybe a future PS3 firmware update will solve the problem??? who knows???

But getting a Firmware update for my Tv looks like the better option... but how am I going to get one, if LG dont even put them on their website, and they are unwilling to help me because im a half month out of a years warranty? The product isnt even faulty for jesus sake like! Its just a synchronization issue.

Thanks for the help anyway, Any other suggestions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 AnswerBAK

I have that problem with the free HDMI cable I got with my 360 but on my PS3 I bought a gold coil HDMI and I get no problem. So maybe the slim PS3 is to blame a lot of the 40 gig models had bugs when released did you research that...?

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭DemoniK

Have seen this issue also :)
    Not on TV but with a Samsung Monitor...
    In my case it's definitely not the cable, but the monitor itself - am guessing a firmware issue.
    For me to reproduce the issue is very simple... Turn on monitor, then turn on PS3. Monitor shows lots of noise and occasional (lot less than your vid) flicker. Hit the rescan button and it's all ok again.
    Do it the other way round - Turn on PS3, turn on (not wake up) Monitor - all perfect.

Also see it when switching from one video source to another (via switch box before the monitor) where HDCP renogitiation is required. Again, hit rescan it's all ok.

On a TV I assume the way to replicate my fix would be to jump from the HDMI connection to another AV socket or tuner and back again.

There used to be an LG rep on the avforums. Maybe try posting there and see if he responds. Usually the firmware isn't made available to everyone. You may need to bring it to a shop somewhere. Again - contact LG to see if it's a known/fixed issue.

And now since I've removed HDCP from my PS3 via gameswitch it's all sorted :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

I have the same problem every so often on my samsung tv, only lasts 30 seconds or so before fixing itself. If you have multiple HDMI ports on your tv have you try'd them all with your ps3 ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

OP what model is your TV?

eddhorse wrote: »
    OP what model is your TV?

32LG6000

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Not many firmwares etc on the web alright.

I will have another look tomorrow, have to unplug for a while !!

A few people do mention that you need a better HDMI cable for your tv on that youtube video you posted. A monster one or the like.
    I know you said you have a really good one with specs i dont understand.
    If you know someone that has one it might be an option to test.
    Looks really annoying though, sorry for your troubles !

eddhorse wrote: »
    Not many firmwares etc on the web alright.

I will have another look tomorrow, have to unplug for a while !!

A few people do mention that you need a better HDMI cable for your tv on that youtube video you posted. A monster one or the like.
    I know you said you have a really good one with specs i dont understand.
    If you know someone that has one it might be an option to test.
    Looks really annoying though, sorry for your troubles !

Yeh I know theres nothing on their website. flipping LG, Ive noticed that everyone will an LG scarlet has this issue with the PS3, I really dont know whether to blame LG or Sony?

And yeh thanks,ill ask my brother for a loan of one from his house, I doubt they are any better than my HDMIs but ill ask anyway.

Thanks alot for the help!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Sorry to resurrect old thread, but was this ever sorted ?

I bought a PS3, have the exact same issue

• Advertisement
Advertisement