Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Band 2 what do we do?

• 12-02-2014 3:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭

So do we have any hope of getting called? Or should we cut our losses.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Thecameraman

I think just cut are loses and move on.... The top 5000 will cover all the the recuirtment for next 3 years

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 144 ✭✭blazermel

Yeah I reckon we may forget about it unfortunately.. :( very disappointed but I guess what's for you won't pass you!

blazermel wrote: »
    Yeah I reckon we may forget about it unfortunately.. :( very disappointed but I guess what's for you won't pass you!

Ye good point, I feel they left us hanging for 2 long they should either tell you to do stage 2 or you didn't pass

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

lukesmom wrote: »
    So do we have any hope of getting called? Or should we cut our losses.

I think people in Band 2 still have a chance. They aren't gonna make a Band 3 if there's no hope of Band 2 even being used.

Of the 5k that got through, some will have just applied for the craic, some will get jobs, some move abroad, etc, etc. If I was in the top 1/4 or 1/3 of Band 2 I'd be very hopeful of another call

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    I think people in Band 2 still have a chance. They aren't gonna make a Band 3 if there's no hope of Band 2 even being used.

Of the 5k that got through, some will have just applied for the craic, some will get jobs, some move abroad, etc, etc. If I was in the top 1/4 or 1/3 of Band 2 I'd be very hopeful of another call

Hopefully your right, does anyone else think it's a bit harsh cutting so many from stage 2 after only 1 test

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

Put it to the back of ur mind and hope alot of batch 1 are idiots, pull out or fail stage 2

What is the point having band 2 and 3 why not just say band 1 and at least people in band 2 and 3 won't be waiting for a test or to be called

• Registered Users Posts: 23 hiluxstihl

what was the cutoff for band 2? i came in the low 7000s i do think your more likely to have more educated and computer whizes than they will need, i could well be wrong im not holding my breath but still think i may be called eventually

• Site Banned Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Raider190

WilcoOut wrote: »
    Put it to the back of ur mind and hope alot of batch 1 are idiots, pull out or fail stage 2

Seriously anyone who got band one will be taking an offer if they get through the next stages . Not a very nice comment wilco sounds slightly petty to be saying such things to those of us who have passed. After all a lot of hard work has gone into just getting to band 1 and more hard work to come

• Registered Users Posts: 23 hiluxstihl

people here make getting to interview sound like a walk in the park, they can pick and choose whoever they want, dont think that getting that far is a formality, everything you do to get there can be prepared for, that is a real challenge.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

hiluxstihl wrote: »
    people here make getting to interview sound like a walk in the park, they can pick and choose whoever they want, dont think that getting that far is a formality, everything you do to get there can be prepared for, that is a real challenge.

I'm under absolutely no illusions of how difficult it'll be. Another 2 assessments before we even get to the interview. There are approximately 300 positions and 5k + the other two bands trying to fill them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

Raider190 wrote: »
    Seriously anyone who got band one will be taking an offer if they get through the next stages . Not a very nice comment wilco sounds slightly petty to be saying such things to those of us who have passed. After all a lot of hard work has gone into just getting to band 1 and more hard work to come

I passed too. Im being petty to myself?

Please reread what i said, who i said it to and why i said it

even on a happy day you ruffle feathers on here raider!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 shaneraff

If you think of it logically, EVERYONE who has met the requirements ie passed stage 1, is entitled to compete.

Applicants who have scored well (1-5001)have been prioritised and deservedly so. The have earned it, as have all who have met the requirements in the subsequent bands. All who passed will be the pool for the foreseeable future.(few years) and in my opinion alot will be afforded the opportunity.

However this does not necessarily mean band1 will be better officers, recruiters know this, hence the bands. High psychometric scoring does not equal a lifetime of quality policing.

Band 1 (5000applicants) will sit stage 2 , if you fail , that's it your out, same goes for all stages,just like the people who failed aptitude stage 1. Educational requirements, medical , interview and fitness are all points at which band 1 will be reduced to maybe 5-700 , who will be taken in over a few phases.the rest will be deemed to have not met the standard and have had their opportunity.

Band 2's and 3s should not loose hope. You have met the requirements and are eligible to progress as the opportunities present themselves. Sit tight and good luck to all of you.

This is only my opinion, hopefully we find out the exact structure soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭mycro89

We need clarity on all of this I think, it is very vague to say the least?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Yeah that's what I was thinking too some clarification would be nice.

Anyone else thinking this, that when they cull at the next stage, plus at the assessment test, the physical , the medial and at the interview that they will have enough of candidates for the next three years within band 1?

I think not personally, I believe at least those in band two are in with a chance still

mycro89 wrote: »
    Anyone else thinking this, that when they cull at the next stage, plus at the assessment test, the physical , the medial and at the interview that they will have enough of candidates for the next three years within band 1?

I think not personally, I believe at least those in band two are in with a chance still

Unfortunately I think that's just wishful thinking :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭King Ludvig

Keep the head up lads there still plenty of stages for people to be dropped.

Firstly, there are plenty that threw in an application on a whim and don't really want it. Many of these will drop out themselves once some effort is being asked of them ie. filling out competency based application forms or turning up for supervised tests.

The interviews will drop many who haven't prepared or whom were great at aptitude tests but lacking in communication skills or relevant experience.

After that think how many will fail the medical, fail the fitness, fail on the background checks?

If this campaign is used for the next 2-3 years, I would be very surprised if they managed to get 900 suitable candidates out of 5,000. That would be one in five roughly. Keep the head up lads, especially band 2, it might take time but your day will come. In the meantime don't hold back, move on with your lives as much as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭2wsxcde3

Band 2 will most certainly be used.

You're forgetting that these guys (PAS) are used to the system of garda recruitment. They know the percentage drop-out rates at each level of garda recruitment campaigns (this is information that would have been made available to them). These drop-out rates are hard facts that don't change from one campaign to the next.

Once the closing date for this recruitment campaign closed on 9th Jan, it was only then that Shatter immediately announced that there wouldn't be another recruitment drive for probably 3 years. PAS, in conjunction with shatter would be factoring this in to calculate how many potential applicants would need to be kept in the different bands in order to fill the likely places in Templemore that would be available over those 3 years. Hence, the system of 3 bands is based on calculations (calculations we can only guess at here, but which PAS know the full run down off) that would require 3 bands to be made.

It would be the most bizarre of situations for PAS, with all that knowledge of drop-out rates at the different stages of garda recruitment campaigns, to construct a system that involved 3 bands of potential candidates ...without those 3 bands being actually required as per their calculations. To think a system of 3 bands was created when only 1 band was needed is just illogical.

Here's the reality: Some of the people in band 1, are going to be out of the running 7 days from now (after 21st of feb) ...while those in the other bands will still be in. As many as 2000 of those 5000 could be out by then.

If you've just been placed in band 2 or 3, take this as a kick up the backside to be extra prepared when you are called to stage 2. Because alot of band 2 will be called to that stage, and possibly even some in the early numbers of band 3. That would have been PAS's reasoning behind the necessity of 3 bands. Otherwise they'd have only passed 9000 people, and created 2 bands. Or even just pass 5000 people, and create 1 band. PAS are not making this up as they're going along in case that needed pointing out.

1) In relation to the recruitment campaign for an Garda siochana, for those that are unsuccessful at stage 2 are they going to be removed from the recruitment process or just ranked accordingly and asked to progress to stage three should the need occur at a future date?

2) For those within band 1 that are successful right to the end of the process, is there going to be a panel drawn up to service the needs over the next three years with just band 1 members? It was recently announced that this campaign would be for the next three years.

3)For those that are within band two and three will they ever progress to stage 2 of the campaign? In some ways I feel we are left in limbo, what are the intentions for this campaign for the bands 2 and 3.

4)Those that were unsuccessful at stage one and that have not met the requirements have been notified and no where they stand. Are those in band two and band three going to be left in limbo

All very valid questions I think....

• Advertisement

1) In relation to the recruitment campaign for an Garda siochana, for those that are unsuccessful at stage 2 are they going to be removed from the recruitment process or just ranked accordingly and asked to progress to stage three should the need occur at a future date?

2) For those within band 1 that are successful right to the end of the process, is there going to be a panel drawn up to service the needs over the next three years with just band 1 members? It was recently announced that this campaign would be for the next three years.

3)For those that are within band two and three will they ever progress to stage 2 of the campaign? In some ways I feel we are left in limbo, what are the intentions for this campaign for the bands 2 and 3.

4)Those that were unsuccessful at stage one and that have not met the requirements have been notified and no where they stand. Are those in band two and band three going to be left in limbo

All very valid questions I think....

Totally agree with you, all excellent points. I think more information will come to light when band 1 do there stage 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Faith and Justice

I didn't get the chance to post my result yesterday because of the bad weather.

I came around the 8500 mark, and in band two.

In one way im very dissapointed, and another very happy.

I'm not disheartened. Band two is for a reason. If there going recruiting for the next three years we have hope.

Its a pity they just didnt leave all the 12,500 that passed do stage 2. Then they could of cut it to around 6-7,000 and bring them forward to the exam hall.

Band two and three should be allowed do the next stage, and then cut.

Be proud of yourselfs people. You've jumped the first hurdle successfully. We just need a little help now

I'm in band 2, there is not a lot of info about what is going to happen with band 2 or if we will ever get to sit stage 2. If anyone has any information or opinions please let me know.

But the recruits over the next three years, are they only going to be drawn from band 1?

No one knows, the information we got yesterday was very poor about what happens next with band 2, it seem like they were saying just wait and see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 kaz889

they have left us in limbo :( but i think why have a band 2 and 3 if there is no use for us. it would have been easier to tell us that we didn't qualify at all? suppose its the waiting game now :)

kaz889 wrote: »
    they have left us in limbo :( but i think why have a band 2 and 3 if there is no use for us. it would have been easier to tell us that we didn't qualify at all? suppose its the waiting game now :)

Or they could be just keeping us as back up in case they don't get numbers from band 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 kaz889

pity they didn't give us a bit more information.

Anyway we can get clarification ?

• Advertisement

kaz889 wrote: »
    pity they didn't give us a bit more information.

I know i think they have a number on public jobs if you want information.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Bloodwing

Whether or not band 2 and 3 are called forward to stage 2 will all depend on how the 5000 in band 1 preform over the coming stages. I would be very surprised if they don't preform well enough to form a panel for the next three years at current suggested recruitment numbers.

The big unknown is if the economy picks up and recruitment numbers increase then band 2 and maybe 3 stand a decent chance of going further.

Cut our losses and walk away so is it?

Bloodwing wrote: »
    Whether or not band 2 and 3 are called forward to stage 2 will all depend on how the 5000 in band 1 preform over the coming stages. I would be very surprised if they don't preform well enough to form a panel for the next three years at current suggested recruitment numbers.

The big unknown is if the economy picks up and recruitment numbers increase then band 2 and maybe 3 stand a decent chance of going further.

I think your total wrong, yesterday i was thinking the same but now I had time to think about it I feel diffrent. Every seems to forget that were only at stage 1-2 of the whole process they can't determine after one test if the top 5000 would be the best garda, you could be very smart but fat and lazy, you will get through online test but once the interview comes your gone. There are loads more loops to jump through and I think most people in bands 2-3 will get there chance

Cut our losses and walk away so is it?

I wouldn't say that, but I wouldn't be putting all my eggs in the one basket either. There's a lot of unknowns out there and I can see the recruitment numbers increasing significantly over the next few years if the economy holds up but nobody knows if that will be enough to make use of the other bands.

I think your total wrong, yesterday i was thinking the same but now I had time to think about it I feel diffrent. Every seems to forget that were only at stage 1-2 of the whole process they can't determine after one test if the top 5000 would be the best garda, you could be very smart but fat and lazy, you will get through online test but once the interview comes your gone. There are loads more loops to jump through and I think most people in bands 2-3 will get there chance

I think the paragraph at the start of the emails that those in bands 2 and 3 received spells it out to be honest. It clearly states that the use of people from band 2 will depend on the requirements of AGS. Band 1 are being used to meet the current requirements.

AGS and Public Jobs will have a fair idea of the average percentage that fail certain stages based on previous campaigns, this will have been taken into account when putting 5000 in band 1.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't say that, but I wouldn't be putting all my eggs in the one basket either. There's a lot of unknowns out there and I can see the recruitment numbers increasing significantly over the next few years if the economy holds up but nobody knows if that will be enough to make use of the other bands.

But those in Band 1 are they going to be culled from the next stage on or just ranked accordingly again ?

I'm position 5372. So band 2. I'll be 35 in November so it's the end of the road for me I reckon.

But those in Band 1 are they going to be culled from the next stage on or just ranked accordingly again ?

I would imagine that everyone who passes stage 2 will be called forward to stage 3. PJ are well used to running supervised tests for in excess of 5000 so there's no real benefit to splitting them up.

lukesmom wrote: »
    I'm position 5372. So band 2. I'll be 35 in November so it's the end of the road for me I reckon.

That's sucks, I really wish they laid out the full process so people knew where they were at, it's the not knowing that's annoying me, if people move on to stage 3 and were not called to do stage 2 I'll accept we're not going any further.

I would imagine that everyone who passes stage 2 will be called forward to stage 3. PJ are well used to running supervised tests for in excess of 5000 so there's no real benefit to splitting them up.

No stage 2 has bands to so top 2000 are most likely going to go the rough while remaining 3000 will be in bands 2 and 3.

• Advertisement

No stage 2 has bands to so top 2000 are most likely going to go the rough while remaining 3000 will be in bands 2 and 3.

What happens to the 3000 that don't make the cut, that form bands 2 and 3 are you listed above? Do they remain in the bands? And are drawn from there as necessary ? What about those currently in band 2?

What happens to the 3000 that don't make the cut, that form bands 2 and 3 are you listed above? Do they remain in the bands? And are drawn from there as necessary ? What about those currently in band 2?

It's seems like they will be taking the best band through each time while leaving diffrent stages of 2/3 bands on the way dipping in if needed, so if band 2 in stage 1 don't get called by the time stage 3 starts they chances of getting in this year will be slim, that's my best guess of the information I'm reading

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭maniac2000

Personally I don't think band 2 or 3 will be used and here is why.

In every campaign be it DFB and Army etc there have always been bands that passed but were not within the required range i.e they take the top % (this case the top 5000 out of some near 25/26k+ applicants) and every time the positions are filled with the first batch. The recruitment process doesn't wait around for 'the best Garda candidate' it simply takes the best from that bunch and unfortunately for people in band 2 and 3 this is how it has always been. Im not sure on the numbers going into the service over the next few years but people say 300 a year for next 3 years that's roughly 6-9 classes a year?? seems a bit much to me but I might just have the wrong info. Even if it was filling 900 out of 5000 applicants it can easily be done and I presume the people in PAS got their sums right in only bringing 5000 back for round 2. It would be unlikely that they would get through all the stages and come up short in filling the panel!

It's a harsh reality but nothing anybody can do.

It's seems like they will be taking the best band through each time while leaving diffrent stages of 2/3 bands on the way dipping in if needed, so if band 2 in stage 1 don't get called by the time stage 3 starts they chances of getting in this year will be slim, that's my best guess of the information I'm reading

Could you look at it this way, that band 2 at present would only be called once the 5,000 have been cleared and passed out etc

Could you look at it this way, that band 2 at present would only be called once the 5,000 have been cleared and passed out etc

I did think that's was going to happen until I read there will be bands in stage 2 also, when you think about it it only make sence to have bands all the way up unfortunley us in band 2 at stage 1 will nearly be at the end of the pile once all the stage are finished and the chances will get smaller and smaller you would want to be getting to at least stage 3 band 2 to have any chance to progress in next 3 years. Again this is only my out look on things

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭kev-bt

Only advice I would give is whatever happens with next stage or other bands do not put your life on hold or rely on getting into the guards, I was in a que of 250 people for five years waiting to go in before we got scrapped and being in the unknown is the worst situation.

So keep at what ye are at and best of luck with everything, go travelling, go to college, take up another career chance if it comes up but do not put your life on hold for AGS recruitment.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭want2b

maniac2000 wrote: »
    Personally I don't think band 2 or 3 will be used and here is why.

In every campaign be it DFB and Army etc there have always been bands that passed but were not within the required range i.e they take the top % (this case the top 5000 out of some near 25/26k+ applicants) and every time the positions are filled with the first batch. The recruitment process doesn't wait around for 'the best Garda candidate' it simply takes the best from that bunch and unfortunately for people in band 2 and 3 this is how it has always been. Im not sure on the numbers going into the service over the next few years but people say 300 a year for next 3 years that's roughly 6-9 classes a year?? seems a bit much to me but I might just have the wrong info. Even if it was filling 900 out of 5000 applicants it can easily be done and I presume the people in PAS got their sums right in only bringing 5000 back for round 2. It would be unlikely that they would get through all the stages and come up short in filling the panel!

It's a harsh reality but nothing anybody can do.

How do you mean by 300 people is 6-9 classes a year?

want2b wrote: »
    How do you mean by 300 people is 6-9 classes a year?

I don't know how many guards are going to be taken so this info is prob way off but I did read a figure in the other forum stating 900 people. If the number of applicants required over 3 years is even 300 (100 a year for 3 years) then depending on recruit class size (which I don't have a clue about just an estimate of 30/40 per class) that would work out at 2/3 classes of recruits a year etc etc. If the figure of 900 recruits over 3 years is correct then thats 300 a year passing out.... again I dont know how many are being taken on im just going on previous posters numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭want2b

maniac2000 wrote: »
    I don't know how many guards are going to be taken so this info is prob way off but I did read a figure in the other forum stating 900 people. If the number of applicants required over 3 years is even 300 (100 a year for 3 years) then depending on recruit class size (which I don't have a clue about just an estimate of 30/40 per class) that would work out at 2/3 classes of recruits a year etc etc. If the figure of 900 recruits over 3 years is correct then thats 300 a year passing out.... again I dont know how many are being taken on im just going on previous posters numbers

Its 300 for this year

want2b wrote: »
    Its 300 for this year

300 guards passing out in 1 year? thats either a lot of classes or fewer larger classes. number seems very high

• Advertisement
Advertisement