Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about Tuition Fees

Options
  • 29-05-2016 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭

So Im most likely going back to college in September of this year to study Tv and Media production in It Carlow, Im 21.

The problem is I stupidly attended a Software Development course in Carlow in 2012/13 and left the course in March 2013. I never officially dropped out, I just stopped going. An incredibly stupid decision and one I very much regret to this day.

Anyway Im just wondering how much Tuition fees Ill be looking at paying?
    I understand that if I dont get the Susi grant again Ill have to pay the €3,000 contribution charge which I have saved up for. There's a small chance I might get the grant again under an exceptional circumstance rule due to the nature of my dropping out (Mother got diagnosed with a rare kidney disease).

But Ive seen figures between €0, €300 and €7000 been thrown around regarding the fees and I really cant afford to pay anything close to €7000 so Im a little anxious.

Ive seen that I might not be charged anything cause Im doing a course in a different department in the same college too though so I really have no idea, Ive emailed Carlow but havent gotten a reply

Any help would be much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭redbel05

As far as I can tell, you would not be eligible for the susi grant this year, but you would be for any further year as this would be progression in your studies. The only exceptional circumstance example for dropping out of a year (but still retaining free fees) listed on most websites is if you have serious illness that would prevent you from continuing your studies. It doesn't mention family illness, but it might be worthwhile asking about this especially if you were your mothers primary carer after she was diagnosed.

As for doing a course in the same college, but different department, I've never heard of that effecting your fee grant eligibility. So long as you have been given free fees for a particular year of college, you will not be given free fees for the equivalent year in another course. The key is progression in your studies. The only exception to this is if you are classed as a second chance student (which you would be in two years time, provided you don't do any courses in the meantime), and in which case you may also be eligible for the maintenance grant.

Now the good news... Fees for 2015/2016 are under the fees tab here (it took a bit of finding for some reason, lol):
    http://www.itcarlow.ie/study/admissionssupport/financial-information.htm

Seems to be €3250 for this years including the student contribution charge so I can't imagine it being double that for 2016/2017.

My advice to you would be to talk face to face to someone in the college from the grants section, explaining the reason for your dropping out, double checking fees for next year and get a letter to say that you officially left when you did from student records. If it was me, then I would apply to Susi even though I wouldn't be expecting help from there (the worst that can happen is that they'll say no), and finally look into getting some help from the student assistance fund for your other expenses next year.

Hope that helps! Sorry if its a bit of a long read.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭TheStook

redbel05 wrote: »
    As far as I can tell, you would not be eligible for the susi grant this year, but you would be for any further year as this would be progression in your studies. The only exceptional circumstance example for dropping out of a year (but still retaining free fees) listed on most websites is if you have serious illness that would prevent you from continuing your studies. It doesn't mention family illness, but it might be worthwhile asking about this especially if you were your mothers primary carer after she was diagnosed.

As for doing a course in the same college, but different department, I've never heard of that effecting your fee grant eligibility. So long as you have been given free fees for a particular year of college, you will not be given free fees for the equivalent year in another course. The key is progression in your studies. The only exception to this is if you are classed as a second chance student (which you would be in two years time, provided you don't do any courses in the meantime), and in which case you may also be eligible for the maintenance grant.

Now the good news... Fees for 2015/2016 are under the fees tab here (it took a bit of finding for some reason, lol):
    http://www.itcarlow.ie/study/admissionssupport/financial-information.htm

Seems to be €3250 for this years including the student contribution charge so I can't imagine it being double that for 2016/2017.

My advice to you would be to talk face to face to someone in the college from the grants section, explaining the reason for your dropping out, double checking fees for next year and get a letter to say that you officially left when you did from student records. If it was me, then I would apply to Susi even though I wouldn't be expecting help from there (the worst that can happen is that they'll say no), and finally look into getting some help from the student assistance fund for your other expenses next year.

Hope that helps! Sorry if its a bit of a long read.

Hello there, thanks for the reply!

I'm already applying for the grant as they told me themselves that there's a chance I could get it so I sent in an essay explaining my dropping out ( Had to leave college an awful lot to care for my mam as it was just me and her at home) and they said apply anyway. My application is under review at the moment so fingers crossed :).

As for the fees, €3250 including the contribution?! That would be fantastic as I have always had a €5000 figure in my head for some reason so that would put me at ease, I'm waiting to hear back from them anyway but your link seems good :)

The problem is I never officially dropped out so the letter I got from Carlow for Susi ways that I just stopped attending which won't look good but I understand what I did was stupid and hopefully they will understand the stress/anxiety I was under at the time

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭BUBBLES1978

gather as much information as you can and putting it bluntly you will probably be refused, appeal then to the SUSI appeals office and then if no luck appeal to the Independent appeals board...

Advertisement