Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

OS X 10.10 Yosemite - Public Beta - July 24th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

How old are the Macs you guys are running it on? I might give it a go on my late-08 unibody.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Zcott wrote: »
    How old are the Macs you guys are running it on? I might give it a go on my late-08 unibody.

Early 2011 MBP. Running perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭shanec1928

airuser wrote: »
    You can also open it from Apple menu - About This Mac - More Info which opens System Information... use the Window menu to select Network Utility.

Hope it's there for you.
    cheers had the icon pinned in the dock but was showing the ? mark after the update. have only had a brief look before work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭airuser

Apple have released the new OS on the web page. Anyone would appear my download it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Logged into the beta site and got my code. Downloading, but I'm going to install it on an external drive...and just need a caddy to arrive asap!

Well, do not how I did it but got the old system back again.

Two things I did learn. One that one back may not always work.
    Two let the other bu....s make the mistakes.

But, please make sure that you system is backed and everything is backed up.

That you will be able to restore one system.

That is the major mistake I made in taking for granted that the Time capsule appeared to have baked up my files.

Anyway it was an experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭jakdublin

I want my bookmarks back at the top of the Safari page :-(

I want the old Spotlight back and in the corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭fjon

jakdublin wrote: »
    I want my bookmarks back at the top of the Safari page :-(

View - Show Favourites Bar ?

• Advertisement

fjon wrote: »
    View - Show Favourites Bar ?

Yeah, I thought that would do it but nothing seems to happen. Tabs not working either by the looks of things. I'll have a closer look at it tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mackera4

I got my invite today and am contemplating whether I should run it on my main machine (just back up the current setup) or will I just install it as a VM.
    Think i'm more inclined to go with the latter option, just in case it turns out to be a right disaster.
    Anyone else installed it using a VM? Opinions? :)

mackera4 wrote: »
    I got my invite today and am contemplating whether I should run it on my main machine (just back up the current setup) or will I just install it as a VM.
    Think i'm more inclined to go with the latter option, just in case it turns out to be a right disaster.
    Anyone else installed it using a VM? Opinions? :)

I just partitioned my disk and installed it on that. Never thought of going the VM route but I guess it could save booting up into a separate drive every time you needed to switch over. Installing on your main machine is just asking for a world of hurt.

Just getting to have a proper look at Yosemite the last hour or so. First impressions are good, although when actually using it I find the look and feel to be similar enough to the old design. I don't think it's as big of a redesign as the photos make out.

Safari definitely looks better, speed wise it's about the same. I like the new dock but I think some of the icons could do with a change, not a fan of the new settings icon, feels like it's part of the old design. Small things like the new trashcan look great. The new notification centre is a big step up, look forward to third party additions to that.

Feature-wise I think you'll have to wait until it's released with iOS 8 to get the proper use from it, there's nothing too new without that. A lot of the apps look a lot nicer and simplified so overall it's a great revamp.

I've noticed a few bugs so far, had to disconnect and reconnect the wifi, login seems to be a bit buggy and is taking a good bit longer than usual, same as shutdown. Few more graphical glitches here and there but nothing major. It's running just as fast as Mavericks so far.

If you rely on your Mac for work or any pro-level stuff i'd stay away from 10.10 until it's officially released or maybe after one or two point releases. It seems fine overall and looking forward to unlocking the iOS 8 features.

jakdublin wrote: »
    Yeah, I thought that would do it but nothing seems to happen. Tabs not working either by the looks of things. I'll have a closer look at it tomorrow.

Actually, a quit of Safari got both the tabs and the favourites toolbar working. Cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭LandonRicketts

My code said it was already expired when i went to redeem it. Think i'll just wait for the full release i'd say now

This afternoon had problems with mail accounts linking up gmail , took a while to get on line.. Other mail accounts ok.

Am using memory type apps. Yosemite does not to be as hungry in memory using.

One of my favorite Apps Flightradar24 working perfectly

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

My code said it was already expired when i went to redeem it. Think i'll just wait for the full release i'd say now

Did you try re-generating it?

http://9to5mac.com/2014/07/24/apple-how-to-fix-yosemite-public-beta-code-if-it-says-already-been-redeemed/

• Registered Users Posts: 1 atavist

fjon wrote: »
    Installed it this morning and everything went flawlessly so far. Installation took about 25 mins on a 2013 rMBP.
    I am liking the look of it so far, and only really had one issue - MplayerX crashes for me when going full screen.
    I mistakenly thought Yosemite included the new Photos app, but I guess we have to wait a while for that.

Hi all. I'm totally new to this board. I stumbled here after googling the MplayerX Yosemite issue Fjon and I are having. I hope this helps.

I decided to submit an issue report on MplayerX's Google Code page. Putting the report together I relized I was not on the current version 1.0.22.1 (1785). I originally downloaded via the App Store and didn't realize MplayerX has left the Mac App Store.

After updating via MplayerX.org/downland.html the issue evolved. Now I no longer experience the White Screen of Death. In fact, I only have issues if I enter fullscreen using Command+F (which is still a big bummer as CMD+F is an intense automatic muscle memory thing for me). CMD+F fullscreen leads to a fullscreen frozen frame of the video and eventually either a force quit or a total crash of MplayerX.

If I enter fullscreen using view>fullscreen or using the fullscreen symbol in the top-right of a video, I have no issues. It appears in Yosemite that Apple is abandoning the top-right fullscreen symbol. Now the "stoplight" style maximize button in the top left of windows takes it's place when relevant. Obviously these changes have not made it the current version of MplayerX.

atavist wrote: »
    Hi all. I'm totally new to this board. I stumbled here after googling the MplayerX Yosemite issue Fjon and I are having. I hope this helps.

I decided to submit an issue report on MplayerX's Google Code page. Putting the report together I relized I was not on the current version 1.0.22.1 (1785). I originally downloaded via the App Store and didn't realize MplayerX has left the Mac App Store.

After updating via MplayerX.org/downland.html the issue evolved. Now I no longer experience the White Screen of Death. In fact, I only have issues if I enter fullscreen using Command+F (which is still a big bummer as CMD+F is an intense automatic muscle memory thing for me). CMD+F fullscreen leads to a fullscreen frozen frame of the video and eventually either a force quit or a total crash of MplayerX.

If I enter fullscreen using view>fullscreen or using the fullscreen symbol in the top-right of a video, I have no issues. It appears in Yosemite that Apple is abandoning the top-right fullscreen symbol. Now the "stoplight" style maximize button in the top left of windows takes it's place when relevant. Obviously these changes have not made it the current version of MplayerX.

Ah, thanks for that! It works for me too - now I only double click the screen rather than CMD+F. Sometimes I forget and do it the old way, but at least it's a fix.
    I've also noticed the picture quality of MplayerX seems to be inferior to what it was. The screen looks kind of pixellated, but VLC looks fine.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I created a partition and installed it. Couldn't get wifi going, at all. Went back to Mavericks full time.

I created a partition and installed it. Couldn't get wifi going, at all. Went back to Mavericks full time.

My wifi is buggy too, probably the biggest problem with Yosemite for me. I sometimes have to forget and rejoin the wifi network to get it going again.

Beta 2 is now available through the Mac App Store. New iTunes 12 too.

is the click that was normally there when you turned up and down the sound gone for anyone else?

shanec1928 wrote: »
    is the click that was normally there when you turned up and down the sound gone for anyone else?

Just noticed that about an hour ago. It's probably just disabled in system sounds. Battery was going dead so I didn't get to check.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Dr.Sanchez

shanec1928 wrote: »

Yeah, thank god. Found it very annoying!

Press shift along with the volume buttons - does it come back then? It does for me.

was disabled. they have also changed the sound of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Some slight connectivity issues with Safari on the latest Horizon UPC router. I can game online with regular nice low ping, but Safari having trouble loading pages on it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I hear those Horizon boxes are a real nightmare. I have enough problems with the piece of sh*t Technicolor they gave me. My mother recently called them while I was at work and the guy remotely screwed up my settings, oblivious to the fact that I might have disabled WiFi, DHCP and set up a DMZ on the router for a reason.

Advertisement