Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OS X Yosemite (10.10) - News and Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Fairly stable! Few crashes, one was pretty major with Mission Control crashing. Trackpad software needs refinining again. All is good though & using it on my daily machine

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Sounds like Apple pulled loads of engineers off iOS 8 to work on Yosemite, because iOS 8 is really bad for stability.

Zcott wrote: »
    Sounds like Apple pulled loads of engineers off iOS 8 to work on Yosemite, because iOS 8 is really bad for stability.

Nope i'm finding both to be about equal. The only thing unstable are the apps & thats down to developers not using new SDK's yet,

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

miralize wrote: »
    Nope i'm finding both to be about equal. The only thing unstable are the apps & thats down to developers not using new SDK's yet,

Apple aren't accepting submission of Apps using the new SDK's yet. Probably won't be until almost launch date.

Graham wrote: »
    Apple aren't accepting submission of Apps using the new SDK's yet. Probably won't be until almost launch date.

Yep, but I was just countering the fact that he said stability in iOS 8 wasnt great. It is great, its just that the apps arent built for it yet.

• Advertisement

According to 9to5Mac, Apple originally planned to have Control Centre from iOS in Yosemite, but it got pulled:

screen-shot-2014-06-10-at-4-30-39-pm.png

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭MillField

Does anyone know when the public beta will be out?

They didn't offer any more info than 'summer'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Recondite49

They didn't offer any more info than 'summer'.

Patience. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,540 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

The picture of control centre was later confirmed as a fake I'm sure?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭whydoibother

I have installed the developers version on my old iMac - when I say old, it is from 2008 but it was running rather slow on Mavericks, however with this developers version of Yosemite, it is flying. The OS seems to be the lightest ever. I just hope the retail version is as light as the developers one...

Have you found the same? I was delighted when I realised it ran so quickly and smoothly. But I think you have to do a clean install, not over your current OS version, otherwise it will still be slow, from my experience.

Aodhagan wrote: »
    The picture of control centre was later confirmed as a fake I'm sure?

I'm finding it hard to picture how Control Center would work on Mac..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

Just watched the keynote. Am really happy with how it looks.

Did anyone else pronounce Yosemite as Yows-might before actually hearing it...or is it just me? lol

Just watched the keynote. Am really happy with how it looks.

Did anyone else pronounce Yosemite as Yows-might before actually hearing it...or is it just me? lol

It's a hard one to pronounce alright haha. I would have thought it was "yo-se-might".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

colmulhall wrote: »
    It's a hard one to pronounce alright haha. I would have thought it was "yo-se-might".

Do you not remember this guy?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

This has been known since the keynote. Handoff (picking up where you left off on another device) is proximity based and requires Bluetooth LE. Continuity (making and receiving calls) only requires Wi-Fi.

It'll be interesting to see if it can be enabled using a Bluetooth LE dongle. They do exist, and some users have made them work with the Mac but that was before Yosemite.

Luckily the handoff features don't appeal to me too much. Can't see a direct need for it at present. Definitely makes me consider upgrading to the newest rMBP now but I may as well hold out for broad we'll at this stage.

Looks like new iMacs are coming today. Non retina again though.

Worth also pointing out that Handoff will work between iPhone and iPad as they're both Bluetooth LE.

• Advertisement

Worth also pointing out that Handoff will work between iPhone and iPad as they're both Bluetooth LE.

Yeah iPad 2 only one not getting it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Recondite49

Do you not remember this guy?

Hi Jack,

I was thinking the same thing this morning - how could any of these varmints be unsure ? :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Aodhagan wrote: »
    Luckily the handoff features don't appeal to me too much. Can't see a direct need for it at present. Definitely makes me consider upgrading to the newest rMBP now but I may as well hold out for broad we'll at this stage.

Looks like new iMacs are coming today. Non retina again though.

Bit off-topicish, but I'm hearing that Broadwell may not make it to market this year. Think I'll nab a Mac now at the start of the back to school season.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Intel are still promising Broadwell for Christmas. Quantities may be low, but I’d imagine Apple will get them first. So I think October is a safe enough bet.

My six year old MacBook Pro is running well but I would really like a 27" retina iMac...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

Intel are still promising Broadwell for Christmas. Quantities may be low, but I’d imagine Apple will get them first. So I think October is a safe enough bet.

Only thing about that is, unless the new rMBPs are going fanless and less powerful, we're likely going to be waiting until late Q1 or Q2 before they are updated. The quad-core broadwell chips are not due until Q1/Q2 2015. Only the Core M fanless designs will see the light of day before Christmas :(

I'm itching to upgrade my old 2010 MBP (which is no longer fit for purpose for me) but the wait is killing me, and I can't justify dropping €3k on year old chips.

Elessar wrote: »
    Only thing about that is, unless the new rMBPs are going fanless and less powerful, we're likely going to be waiting until late Q1 or Q2 before they are updated. The quad-core broadwell chips are not due until Q1/Q2 2015. Only the Core M fanless designs will see the light of day before Christmas :(

I'm itching to upgrade my old 2010 MBP (which is no longer fit for purpose for me) but the wait is killing me, and I can't justify dropping €3k on year old chips.

Apple are one of the only highly profitable computer manufacturers today. Intel will bend over backwards to keep Apples business. Constant rumours of Apple developing their own chip will have intel worried.

My six year old MacBook Pro is running well but I would really like a 27" retina iMac...

Out of curiously can you run Mavericks on you MacBook?

colmulhall wrote: »
    Out of curiously can you run Mavericks on you MacBook?

Yep, and it runs well. I did a fresh install on an SSD and I've bumped up the RAM to the maximum of 4gb. It's the late 08 unibody, the first of the unibody designs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Do you find the SSD makes a big difference? Currently looking at doubling my ram from 4 to 8gb as my macbook is running pretty slow at the moment.

Advertisement