Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

OS X Yosemite (10.10) - News and Discussion

• 05-05-2014 9:20am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭

According to the usually reliable 9to5Mac, a completely redesigned OS X will be the focus of WWDC next month. In a reversal of previous years' practice, Apple is apparently pulling engineers off iOS 8 to ensure 10.10 is finished in time.

Any hopes, predictions?

I’m looking forward to the new look. While I loved the original Aqua UI of early versions of OS X, I’ve disliked almost everything since. Brushed metal, 3D Dock, skeumorphism, etc. While 10.9 was an improvement, the OS is badly in need of a redesign.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

They've done well to prevent even a single screenshot being leaked a month before announcing it. I'm expecting an iOS 7 style, very minimalist, very sleek look to it. This is a Jony Ive OS, isn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,956 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

OS X looks very stale now. I wouldn't mind a push towards a new iOS styled UI. Might finally be time to get a rMBP to go alongside it too. Although my 2011 MBP performs very well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The minimum system requirements worry me. Hoping to get another year out of my trusty mid-2009 MacBook Pro, which is still performing great with Mavericks despite being 5 years old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Are there any new features rumored, apart from the expected redesign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Probably just tighter iOS integration. Cross platform Airdrop support etc..

• Advertisement

miralize wrote: »
    Probably just tighter iOS integration. Cross platform Airdrop support etc..

Long overdue, seems odd that they've left it out so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

+1 on AirDrop support.

Hoping for a nice UI refresh - I'm such a junkie for OSX concept art!

Though larger clickable areas would be nice for some buttons. And an option to speed up the fullscreening of windows!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Is the new look of OS X 10.10 staring us right in the face?

I was just thinking this the other day after logging into iCloud.com for the first time in ages.

Look great. I hope that's the future of Mac OS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Is the new look of OS X 10.10 staring us right in the face?

I was just thinking this the other day after logging into iCloud.com for the first time in ages.
    It's amazing how dated OSX looks when compared to those iCloud menus.

Over the last couple of years, I've become much more interested in what Apple are doing with the Mac range over any of there other devices. We've seen some great products from them in the last while, with the likes of the Mac Pro last year and the Retina Macbook. Despite being in a post-PC world, they are really pushing some great innovations in their Mac range and it always reminds me of why I love Apple. I suppose it helps that none of their Mac range tends to get leaked, so I am genuinely surprised to see what comes out! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Doodah7

I'm wondering if, given the fairly radical change of style that those screenshots would suggest, whether Apple will break the numbering scheme and call this version of the software OS XI? We are on OS X for the last decade or so. Perhaps it is time to move to 11?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭Sean Quagmire

ugh I certainly hope it won't look like that. It seems so hard on the eyes, like you have to strain to read it.

tallpaul wrote: »
    I'm wondering if, given the fairly radical change of style that those screenshots would suggest, whether Apple will break the numbering scheme and call this version of the software OS XI? We are on OS X for the last decade or so. Perhaps it is time to move to 11?

I could see them adopting the iOS naming scheme and calling it perhaps mOS, and just calling each new version announced a new number. So this could be mOS 11 and next year might be mOS 12.

Of course I could be wrong because they're naming them after great American landmarks at the minute, and that might continue in place of a number system.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Dman001 wrote: »
    It's amazing how dated OSX looks when compared to those iCloud menus.

Over the last couple of years, I've become much more interested in what Apple are doing with the Mac range over any of there other devices. We've seen some great products from them in the last while, with the likes of the Mac Pro last year and the Retina Macbook. Despite being in a post-PC world, they are really pushing some great innovations in their Mac range and it always reminds me of why I love Apple. I suppose it helps that none of their Mac range tends to get leaked, so I am genuinely surprised to see what comes out! :D

Don't think it looks dated in comparison at all, also, not sure we are quite post pc yet.

I doubt they'll call it OS 11. If they were planning that they wouldn’t have dropped the cat names last year. Nor would they have dropped the “Mac” from “Mac OS X” the year before. The X in OS X stands for more than just a 10 - it represents OS 10’s Unix underpinnings. That underlying architecture is also the basis for iOS and probably isn’t going to change for another 10 years. OS X has also been an important part of Mac OS’s branding for the last decade. Apple isn't going to go OS 11 just because 10.10 sounds odd. It’s never going to be called 10.10 anywhere in Apple’s marketing materials anyway, so the version number is irrelevant. It’s just be OS X Syrah or whatever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,956 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

It's the 150th year of Yosemite so that makes sense.

This takes me back!

20140530-191034-69034702.jpg

banquo wrote: »
    This takes me back!

20140530-191034-69034702.jpg

I think that's been reported as fake.

Oh really? That's actually heartbreaking. I've been loving it so much!

EDIT: You are correct. Pity.

• Advertisement

Sorry :-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Simon201

Zcott wrote: »
    It's the 150th year of Yosemite so that makes sense.

Jeez!... and I thought it was there for millions of years! :D;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

Simon201 wrote: »
    Jeez!... and I thought it was there for millions of years! :D;)
    Nah, it was invented 150 years ago by Edison I believe. At least, he applied for the patent... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭Type 17

Aodhagan wrote: »
    OS 10.10 Yosemite

Yosemite would be a great name, but it would be even better if it was named after that particular rock formation - OS 10.10 El Capitan.

Looks like it will be one of them anyway.

Handily enough the word Yosemite means 'those who kill' so I'm expecting a killer release.

http://www.yosemite.ca.us/library/origin_of_word_yosemite.html

Only a few hours to go. It here are some supposed blurrycam leaks:

10_10_blurrycam_1.jpg

10_10_blurrycam_2.jpg

10_10_blurrycam_3.jpg

10_10_blurrycam_4.jpg

Edit: embedding not working. Link here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=19171284&postcount=83

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Is that a built in Alfred type thing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Kagawa

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭boreder

There's an app in the dock that is internal-Apple only, so I wouldn't be too surprised if it turned out to look something like that.

• Advertisement

Fake or not, I’d be quite happy to see a return of the Tiger Dock. Or something resembling it. I always hated the 3D Leopard Dock.

I think the big thing to watch for in the new UI is the size of on-screen elements. If, as some people claim, Apple is planning to “merge" iOS and OS X, we should expect to see a UI optimised for touch, i.e. big buttons.

Advertisement