Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Location/lifestyle or career?

Options
  • 12-05-2008 4:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭

Do you prioritize location/lifestyle most or career?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Unaton

No poll?

lifestyle/location

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

I currently don't have a career but when the time comes, I'll be putting my life/happiness well before my career.

I don't see the point in working hard to rise up in a company whilst forfeiting your own enjoyment of life outside of work, only to retire at 65, "enjoy" the years you've left and then die.

Same goes for women who choose their career over having a family. I mean wtf, you're going to die in a matter of years, add another few years to that and you'll be completely forgotten about.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,826 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Well if you consider college a step on the career ive chosen career first.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I've got both. Doing the job I wanna do in a beautiful part of the world and have a relaxed, relatively care free lifestyle. It's great!

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I've got both. Doing the job I wanna do in a beautiful part of the world and have a relaxed, relatively care free lifestyle. It's great!
    I wouldn't call the possiblity of having redback spiders crawling on you at night care free tbh!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Location/lifestyle/Galway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Affable

Location/lifestyle.

Don't listen to stupid advice like 'don't waste your life' or 'do something respectable'.

Just find the lifestyle you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,078 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

a beer at work
    a beer at home
    and when I am parting I have a few beers,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Kipperhell

rb_ie wrote: »
    I currently don't have a career but when the time comes, I'll be putting my life/happiness well before my career.

This can only be said by those who have only known choice. When the jobs dry up as they have been you don't get the choice. Money won't make you happy but no money can make you miserable.
    The rest of the post is pretty much about assuming you will have a choice and everybody else does too. Good luck with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,153 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

I don't see the point in working hard to rise up in a company whilst forfeiting your own enjoyment of life outside of work, only to retire at 65, "enjoy" the years you've left and then die.

I would imagine the vast majority of people who have risen to the top enjoyed their work or else enjoyed seeing the results of hard work.

• Advertisement

Family, stimulation and then lifestyle which includes Location.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭allabouteve

Couldn't fund my lifestyle without my career. Am in the process of buying a cottage in Greystones, and obviously couldn't pay for it without my career. My work is important and interesting to me, so is obviously part of my lifestyle. All intertwined.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

Xavi6 wrote: »

8-1?
    Lifestyle please. My job gives me best of both worlds but i suppose its what wver floats your ship.

Inndin that right Xavi6? 8-1...

Sangre wrote: »
    I would imagine the vast majority of people who have risen to the top enjoyed their work or else enjoyed seeing the results of hard work.
    They may have enjoyed the results they saw from their efforts, but how much did it cost them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭allabouteve

They may have enjoyed the results they saw from their efforts, but how much did it cost them?

The trick is to love your work....that way there's no sacrifice.

Only cost me two nervous breakdowns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Tried the career thing (media) for a while in Dublin - enjoyed it initially but then work (or the lack thereof) and location started to suck, so now I've moved back to Cork and I'm doing a more mundane job but there are still plenty of prospects (it's administration in UCC) and it's extremely easy-going with great hours. Plus, I've my family and a stronger social network in Cork, as well as a far more laid-back way of life. So I've chosen location/lifestyle but I'm glad I tried out the other stuff too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Lifestyle ftw.

Its all about balance me thinks and difficult thing to get right too. Id love to be living in a cottage on an island off the west coast making a living fishing and growing cabbage but i have to pay for the Sky Sports, xbox, car, holidays, psychotherapy.....

You don't have to be in a high-powered job and earning a six-figure salary to pay for those things though.

• Advertisement

Dudess wrote: »
    Tried the career thing (media) for a while in Dublin - enjoyed it initially but then work (or the lack thereof) and location started to suck, so now I've moved back to Cork and I'm doing a more mundane job but there are still plenty of prospects (it's administration in UCC) and it's extremely easy-going with great hours. Plus, I've my family and a stronger social network in Cork, as well as a far more laid-back way of life. So I've chosen location/lifestyle but I'm glad I tried out the other stuff too.
    Wait, people choose to live in Cork?! :p

You don't have to be in a high-powered job and earning a six-figure salary to pay for those things though.
    Absolutely agree. I'd love such a job, but I don't want to dedicate my entire life to it which is what a lot of those jobs require. You can live a very happy, fulfilling life off a lot less money, particularly outside Dublin.

Absolutely agree. I'd love such a job, but I don't want to dedicate my entire life to it which is what a lot of those jobs require. You can live a very happy, fulfilling life off a lot less money, particularly outside Dublin.

Ah its only 75 hours a week. Loads of time left for sleeping and watching Sky Sports.

Have you seen the cost of cottages with land in Connamara?

Wait, people choose to live in Cork?! :p
    Yep, my folks were all set up in Dundrum (which I believe is your neck of the woods, or near it anyway - could be wrong) and decided in the mid 70s to move to Cork!!! :eek:
    My dad's from Cork and I count my blessings they didn't move to where my mum's from - Meath.

Sounds like you're quite relaxed. Might be stereotyping here but I think English people tend to be a bit more wound up than that kind of attitude.

(it's administration in UCC) and it's extremely easy-going with great hours.

:eek: your one of those!

~Spits and feverently crosses herself~

When the armageddon comes I'm offering up Student academic administration first!

caoibhin wrote: »
    Only cost me two nervous breakdowns.

You serious?

My dad's from Cork and I count my blessings they didn't move to where my mum's from - Meath.

Ah now.. dont be like that. Your getting all parochial on us.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭MCMLXXXIII

I wish to have the best location/lifestyle, but sometimes you need a good career to get you there.

Right now it's career, but hopefully when I find "the one" and want kids, etc., location and lifestyle will be much more of a priority.

Advertisement