Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Marijuana March tomorrow.

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭board om

I saw this on Sky News earlier today and I thought it appropiate for this thread. it is about the Coffee Shops in Holland, Maastricht to be precise, and i think it really shows both sides of the argument.

on one side they are saying that taking a relaxed approach to soft drugs and having cannabis available in coffee shops really works for them becuase they have fewer cannabis users than the European average.

on the other side they are saying it causes some problems because they have drug dealers trying to sell hard drugs in the areas where the coffee shops are located as they know there are going to be drug users there.

so i think it really has a good points for both sides of the argument.

http://video.news.sky.com/?videoSourceID=1315625&flashURL=feeds/skynews/latest/flash/drugs_milam_p6571_100508.flv

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭AngryBadger

board om wrote: »

Interesting piece, but I don't think it really says/highlights anything new regarding marijuana. It talks about the presence of dealers trying to push "harder" drugs, but that's not really relevant to the legality/illegality of marijuana.

If it was illegal there, you would still have dealers trying to sell other substances. And it's understandable that the belgians/french don't want any kind of drug user being moved closer to their borders.

I suppose it does point out that the more relaxex attitude means they actually have fewer marijuana smokers, which is always interesting, since the main anti-legalisation argument here is that people would start using/abusing more if it was legalised.

Interesting piece, but I don't think it really says/highlights anything new regarding marijuana. It talks about the presence of dealers trying to push "harder" drugs, but that's not really relevant to the legality/illegality of marijuana.

If it was illegal there, you would still have dealers trying to sell other substances. And it's understandable that the belgians/french don't want any kind of drug user being moved closer to their borders.

I suppose it does point out that the more relaxex attitude means they actually have fewer marijuana smokers, which is always interesting, since the main anti-legalisation argument here is that people would start using/abusing more if it was legalised.

what i found interesting in favour of the point of it being legalised is the fact that they have fewer users. it goes to show that all these people who say it shouldnt be legalised becuase everyone would start doing it may actually be wrong.

also i found it funny that 80% of their customers are French and Belgian but France and Belgium are the ones giving out about it. i understand they dont want it on their doorstep, but tbh maybe they should be looking at going the same way as holland. i know there are areas in belgium that already have similiar relaxed laws.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

can you even get weed in ireland? We used to grow our own buds with dutch seeds because the hash is so CRAP. We could never get good grass. Very rarely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 786 ✭✭✭spudington16

Fremen wrote: »
    My granddad died of pneumonia. He also liked lemonade. Does that mean lemonade gives you pneumonia?

Ooh - you know someone's got the weakest of weak arguments when they have to resort to reductio ad absurdum. :rolleyes: I'm actually just kinda surprised they didn't resort to it previously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

board om wrote: »
    on the other side they are saying it causes some problems because they have drug dealers trying to sell hard drugs in the areas where the coffee shops are located as they know there are going to be drug users there.

so i think it really has a good points for both sides of the argument.

http://video.news.sky.com/?videoSourceID=1315625&flashURL=feeds/skynews/latest/flash/drugs_milam_p6571_100508.flv
    I can't view the link here will have to see it some other time but drug dealers don't hang about outside coffeeshops waiting to sell there wares to tourists. They tend to hang out in the red light, coffeeshops are everywhere in the Netherlands. Most those "drug dealer" just rip off tourists selling them any thing from lumps of tar to baking powder.

I've never had anyone whisper "coke" to me after comming out of a coffeeshop.

ScumLord wrote: »
    I can't view the link here will have to see it some other time but drug dealers don't hang about outside coffeeshops waiting to sell there wares to tourists. They tend to hang out in the red light, coffeeshops are everywhere in the Netherlands. Most those "drug dealer" just rip off tourists selling them any thing from lumps of tar to baking powder.

I've never had anyone whisper "coke" to me after comming out of a coffeeshop.

it is the coffee shop owners that are complaining about it happening so i think they know what they are talking about because it is happening in their cafes. this is in maastricht though so that would be a lot quieter than amsterdam, and drug dealers hanging around would be more noticable.

tbh i have never been offered anything in a coffee shop myself, and i was always told by locals that if you are looking for something other than smoke dont ask in the coffee shops becuase they dont take kindly to it. so i was quite surprised to hear it was a problem because it was something i had never experienced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

nix wrote: »
    You seem to be confused as to what the effects marijuana has, i take it you have never tried it?

And please dont compare marijuana to alcohol, alcohol makes you slow, docile, and aggresive and kills more people than all other drugs combined.
    More people are killed by alcohol because more people drink alcohol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

Terry wrote: »
    More people are killed by alcohol because more people drink alcohol.

show me some evidence of a person dying from weed, alcohol is far more dangerous substance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭KERPAL

Auvers wrote: »
    show me some evidence of a person dying from weed, alcohol is far more dangerous substance.

http://www.briancbennett.com/charts/death/cannabis-yr.htm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭FunkyChicken

1 in 27 million isn't too bad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭KERPAL

1 in 2million and thats just one year.

He asked for evidence, i gave it.
    It mightnt be substantial but theres about 30ish deaths there, not so cool for the families of the dead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

KERPAL wrote: »
    He asked for evidence, i gave it.
    It mightnt be substantial but theres about 30ish deaths there, not so cool for the families of the dead.

hmm highly dubious figures I just took one example

according to this "proof" in 2001 there where three people that "died" from cannabinoids

one had a heart attack & Unspecified mental and behavioral disorder, due to multiple-drug use and use of other psychoactive substances

and the other one was Other and unspecified convulsions

and the other was not listed?

http://www.briancbennett.com/charts/death/2001potdeaths.htm

*edit*

Found this little titbit by the author on the bottom of this page http://www.briancbennett.com/charts/death/cannabis.htm

"Nearly 100 million Americans admit to having used marijuana at least once in their lives, while some 25 million admit to having done so in the past year. With a death rate of 35 out of 100 million, it doesn't seem very dangerous.

It appears that these people may not actually be dying from cannabis use after all. Here's an in-depth look at the 2001 deaths, and the story of my investigation."

Advertisement