Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

UK licence renewal in Northern Ireland?

Options
  • 29-04-2014 2:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I hold a current UK driving licence which is due for renewal soon. I was wondering if I could apply for my renewal in a participating post office in Belfast?

It would save me having to go back to the UK just to do it. The alternative is to apply by post, but I think heading up north would be a lot quicker.

Any ideas? Reason I ask is because I think NI driving licences differ slightly to the UK ones so I may not be able to apply in the north?

Thanks all. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭colly3

STG.Otaku wrote: »
    Hi all,

I hold a current UK driving licence which is due for renewal soon. I was wondering if I could apply for my renewal in a participating post office in Belfast?

It would save me having to go back to the UK just to do it. The alternative is to apply by post, but I think heading up north would be a lot quicker.

Any ideas? Reason I ask is because I think NI driving licences differ slightly to the UK ones so I may not be able to apply in the north?

Thanks all. :)

Two different authorities, it's like trying to pay the ESB for your gas bill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭STG.Otaku

colly3 wrote: »
    Two different authorities, it's like trying to pay the ESB for your gas bill.

Gotcha. Renewal by post it is then. Thanks a mil. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭bmstuff

STG.Otaku wrote: »
    Gotcha. Renewal by post it is then. Thanks a mil. :)

Doubt they will issue you a new license with NI address on it. You are supposed the exchange it for a NI one if you are resident.
    If you are there temporally that might do the trick. Ask them to be sure

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

How soon is it up for renewal? The GB and NI systems are merging in Swansea in the Autumn. It may well happen too late for you, however.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭bugsntinas

I was onto the dvla a while back as mine run out.i was told that they will not renew a license outside of the uk to uk license holders.they also told me that the license was still valid as it wasn't a requirement of Ireland that you have to exchange.

• Advertisement
Advertisement