Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Interview Tips

• 10-06-2014 6:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭

Hi all,

Have an interview this week. Hours aren't great but better than nothing!

I haven't interviewed in a while - totally delighted to even have interviews - last year was a grim one work wise.

Just wondering if there are any newish topics I should be preparing. Is the new JC a big topic or not?

Was really considering leaving teaching but decided to throw myself into it another year and see what happens.

Any tips appreciated. :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Pinkycharm

What are your subjects?? :D Congrats on getting the interview!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 98 ✭✭electoralshock

Your general thoughts on the new junior cert and how it can be implementated into your subject area.

Literacy and Numeracy are big topics and need to be looked at in your subject and throughout the school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Your general thoughts on the new junior cert and how it can be implementated into your subject area.

Literacy and Numeracy are big topics and need to be looked at in your subject and throughout the school.

Ooooo that's a contentious one though, I would assume talk of the new JC is 'sub judice' at the moment! Maybe it might be worth having a look at the reasons for 'reforming' it anyhow and the reasons for the non-cooperation too!

Other topics to consider might be... IT, Cyberbullying, Students with an SEN, Mixed ability teaching, approaches to discipline, are you a member of subject association.

I havn't interviewed for a while myself so god only knows what i'd come out with. Another important one is the bit at the end where they ask "so have you any questions yourself?". I think you should always ask something anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Heydeldel

Thanks guys,

Interivew went alright, hard to judge. I always leave feeling I could have done better.

The new JC did come up but the question was very vague.

Anyhow the first one down, hopefully will have a few more soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Heydeldel wrote: »
    Thanks guys,

Interivew went alright, hard to judge. I always leave feeling I could have done better.

The new JC did come up but the question was very vague.

Anyhow the first one down, hopefully will have a few more soon.

That's great. Just wondering did they ask you about teaching your subject and incorporating the catholic ethos? I'm always asked this question and never know if I'm correct with my answers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

Armelodie wrote: »
    Ooooo that's a contentious one though, I would assume talk of the new JC is 'sub judice' at the moment! Maybe it might be worth having a look at the reasons for 'reforming' it anyhow and the reasons for the non-cooperation too!

Other topics to consider might be... IT, Cyberbullying, Students with an SEN, Mixed ability teaching, approaches to discipline, are you a member of subject association.

I havn't interviewed for a while myself so god only knows what i'd come out with. Another important one is the bit at the end where they ask "so have you any questions yourself?". I think you should always ask something anyhow.

I never have a clue what to ask here tbh, and I have never been given any concrete examples to ask either, the only advice I ever got was something relevant which wasn't very helpful when I hadn't a clue anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

Re the "have you any questions yourself" bit
    Depending on what the interview has covered I might ask about class amalagations - mine is an optional subject so I'd ask if all first yrs take it, is it for the yr? On a modular basis? Is there a good uptake? Good mix of girls & boys (if relevant) what electives they do? That kind of stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 vermafogli

Hey all,

For post-primary teaching interviews, I was wondering what is the best answer to give when asked a question by the interviewers about managing discipline in your classrooms?

I would appreciate any advice on this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

vermafogli wrote: »
    Hey all,

For post-primary teaching interviews, I was wondering what is the best answer to give when asked a question by the interviewers about managing discipline in your classrooms?

I would appreciate any advice on this.

I always say I do my best to be firm but fair. I've been given various scenarios and asked how I'd deal with them. I give my answer and always incorporate that I'd obviously also be bearing in mind the schools discipline policy and would always implement that first and foremost.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

"Good planning should avoid discipline issues. Material pitched neither too high nor too low."

Doesn't work in all cases in the real world, but interviews like that sort of thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

I'd ads to spurious' line, mentioning they should be too busy to even think about misbehaving.

Following school procedure is important to mention.

Thanks a mil happywithlife, spurious, and MoodyMona :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Hey everyone,

A question I have been asked a few times is 'We have a 'Sampler System' in our school where students get a taste of all subjects - how would you make students choose your subject?'

My answer has been my enthusiasm for the subject, my choice of materials (in addition to the textbook) - is this an adequate answer?

The Catholic ethos question also stumps me - is there any good answer apart from I'm a practising catholic and believe religious outings/retreats are important and participation with school masses?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭smallgarden

Had a six panel interview during the week, very intense!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 mcgowak3

The Catholic ethos question also stumps me - is there any good answer apart from I'm a practising catholic and believe religious outings/retreats are important and participation with school masses?

You don't necessarily have to say that you're a practicing Catholic, if anything I think that can sound a bit fake. Just say that you will respect and promote the Catholic Ethos but also have an attitude of respect and inclusion to students of different beliefs and religions.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭gavwaldo

Hi guys,
    I've my only interview of the summer on Monday and I'm fairly nervous. On the call to interview ( girls secondary school btw) email there was a sentence "as part of your interview you can expect to be asked questions relating to child protection which is normal procedure". Is there anything I should be particularly looking at? I guess topical one is social media bullying, what else should I be looking at?

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭f3232

gavwaldo wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    I've my only interview of the summer on Monday and I'm fairly nervous. On the call to interview ( girls secondary school btw) email there was a sentence "as part of your interview you can expect to be asked questions relating to child protection which is normal procedure". Is there anything I should be particularly looking at? I guess topical one is social media bullying, what else should I be looking at?

http://www.education.ie/en/Circulars-and-Forms/Active-Circulars/cl0065_2011.pdf

This circular should help.

http://www.education.ie/en/Schools-Colleges/Information/Child-Protection/cp_procedures_primary_post_primary_2011.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭smallgarden

gavwaldo wrote: »
    Hi guys,

The key thing with child protection is that if a child discloses something to you that they or some other child is in danger, then you are legally obliged to tell your dlp. They'll probably say that the child asked you not to tell anyone but again stress that you cant offer confidentiality if they or someone else are at risk

Hi,

In your opinions, what would be the best answer to give when asked by an interviewer 'what have you learned about yourself throughout the PDE?'

Any opinions would be of great help.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭f3232

vermafogli wrote: »
    Hi,

In your opinions, what would be the best answer to give when asked by an interviewer 'what have you learned about yourself throughout the PDE?'

Any opinions would be of great help.

Without being smart, questions like this one require reflection and honesty, its better to answer from your own perspective rather than anything else. This will sound more authentic and you will do better in the interview.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭gavwaldo

Thanks guys, the interview went great but didn't ask any child protection stuff as they said they would. I've now started an interview journal where I'm writing down all the questions that i'm asked and the best answers that i can think of. Hopefully i wont need to add to it too many times before it gets put away.

Advertisement