Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

St Angelas

Options
  • 17-08-2014 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I wasn't really sure where to post this but I'm hopefully going to st Angelas to do home ecteaching and I'm just wondering if how people find the course? And what's sligo like for going out in? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭thegreatescape

Hey I'm hoping to get offered Home Ec teaching in Sligo tomorrow, would appreciate any information on this too. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

ROUND 1
    ST ANGELA `S - SLIGO

AS001 Home Economics with Biology - second level teachin 515*
    AS002 Home Economics with Religious Education - second l 450
    AS003 Home Economics with Irish - second level teaching 445*
    AS004 Home Economics with Economics - second level teach 455
    AS051 Food and Business Management 265
    AS052 Health and Disability Studies 230
    AS053 Textiles Fashion and Design with Business Manageme #330
    AS110 General Nursing 410*
    AS111 Mature Applicants General Nursing
    AS130 Intellectual Disability Nursing 370*
    AS131 Mature Applicants Intellectual Disability Nursing

Emer96 wrote: »
    I wasn't really sure where to post this but I'm hopefully going to st Angelas to do home ecteaching and I'm just wondering if how people find the course?

Approx 14-16 students in each of four electives.

Course is 50% Home Ec, 25% education, 25% elective second subject

Please note that the course is very intensive, with a lot of contact hours, e.g. 30-40 per week.

There are food labs, textile labs, science practicals, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Carson10

For those of you wanting some Local Knowledge, St Angelas College is located about 3 miles outside of Sligo in a rural area and is not on a bus route. The campus overlooks Lough Gill. You cannot walk from the campus into Sligo as there are no footpaths or lights, as it is a country road. There is accommodation on campus in really modern apartment blocks overlooking the lake, or alternatively you could rent beside IT Sligo which has private charter buses running to St Angela's everyday. The Main student accommodation area is in Ballinode which is on the road leading from St Angelas into Sligo town.

The student villages are:
    Yeats Village
    Clarion Village
    Gateway

Main House Rentals areas in Ballinode:
    Mulberry Park
    Ashbury Lawn
    GlenCarrig

The main IT Sligo/St Aneglas area of Sligo is very scenic, quiet 'leafy' neighbor hoods, very safe, no crime and about 1 mile (walking distance) outside of Sligo Town.

For the gyms a lot of students use the leisure centre at the Clarion Hotel which has a swimming pool, or they can use the Gym@IT Sligo.

If anyone needs anymore local information please feel free to ask and i will be more than happy to help. Good Luck.

http://www.yeatsvillage.net/
    http://www.gatewayapartments.ie/
    http://www.thevillageclarion.com/?pagid=home

Thank you both very much for that information, I got offered Home Economics with Irish this morning. I already have the on campus accommodation booked and I can't wait to start. Coming from north Louth, it's gonna be a trek!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Carson10

Thank you both very much for that information, I got offered Home Economics with Irish this morning. I already have the on campus accommodation booked and I can't wait to start. Coming from north Louth, it's gonna be a trek!

Well done best of luck with your new venture. You will enjoy the scenic view from the college right across the lake.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 kaaaacey

Hey I'm hoping to get offered Home Ec teaching in Sligo tomorrow, would appreciate any information on this too. :)

Hi guys, I got offered home ec and Irish this morning. :) Does anyone know the best way to go about finding students to share a house off campus with? Don't wanna get stuck in crappy accom!

kaaaacey wrote: »
    Hi guys, I got offered home ec and Irish this morning. :) Does anyone know the best way to go about finding students to share a house off campus with? Don't wanna get stuck in crappy accom!

Same course as me! :) On campus accommodation is really nice and not too expensive? Otherwise you could try Daft.ie and go into sharing, there's always houses there especially this time of year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Mugatuu

Same course as me! :) On campus accommodation is really nice and not too expensive? Otherwise you could try Daft.ie and go into sharing, there's always houses there especially this time of year.

I highly recommend not living in the campus accom out in angelas! It's very very isolating and it makes doing basic things like getting shopping or meeting your friends a pain as you've to get taxis etc. try Yeats or Ard Nua. You'll be able to interact with more people and go out more etc

Edit - I'm not doing Home ec btw I'm doing another food related degree out there so if you have any questions about angelas fire away!

Mugatuu wrote: »
    I highly recommend not living in the campus accom out in angelas! It's very very isolating and it makes doing basic things like getting shopping or meeting your friends a pain as you've to get taxis etc. try Yeats or Ard Nua. You'll be able to interact with more people and go out more etc

Edit - I'm not doing Home ec btw I'm doing another food related degree out there so if you have any questions about angelas fire away!

I've already booked the accommodation on campus, I think it'll be better for first year for making friends etc? I don't mind being out in the middle of nowhere, home is in the middle of nowhere so I'm used to it. Plus I have a car for going into town etc.

I've already booked the accommodation on campus, I think it'll be better for first year for making friends etc? I don't mind being out in the middle of nowhere, home is in the middle of nowhere so I'm used to it. Plus I have a car for going into town etc.

Bearly anyone actually lives out on campus due to it being so isolated. I don't think there was even 20 people out there last year and that was a mix of all the years not just first years. You'll be fine if you have a car tho.

Bearly anyone actually lives out on campus due to it being so isolated. I don't think there was even 20 people out there last year and that was a mix of all the years not just first years. You'll be fine if you have a car tho.

Oh that's not that great haha, I was hoping it would be full of first years!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 gmmf123

Just wondering has anyone received any emails or letters yet regarding starting?

gmmf123 wrote: »
    Just wondering has anyone received any emails or letters yet regarding starting?

I've got nothing yet, although I was up in St Angela's in May and I think the secretary told me lectures start this year on the 1st of September, could be wrong though. Hope to get an email/letter in the next few days, the amount of stuff we have to get is meant to be ridiculous!

As offers were made on Mon 18-Aug, and people have until Mon 25-Aug to accept the offers, I would give it a few more days until you should expect to hear from the college.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 GraGraxd2014

Just call the college, have your CAO numbver to hand. I am heading up next Sunday as Orientation starts at 2pm on Monday morning.

Literally everyone i spoke to when I went down for the open day said to avoid the on campus accommodation like the plague :S problems with electricity units and not being able to drink the tap water etc. Sounds like a true nightmare. I deferred my course from last year and have booked into Ard Nua student accommodation. Am having huge trouble trying to contact them though and haven't received room allocations as of yet! Eeek! Might have to go down on Sunday and sleep in my car :S

Literally everyone i spoke to when I went down for the open day said to avoid the on campus accommodation like the plague :S problems with electricity units and not being able to drink the tap water etc. Sounds like a true nightmare. I deferred my course from last year and have booked into Ard Nua student accommodation. Am having huge trouble trying to contact them though and haven't received room allocations as of yet! Eeek! Might have to go down on Sunday and sleep in my car :S

I'm moving into the on campus accommodation on Monday, hopefully it's not as bad as it sounds from your account.. The guy who runs the complex seems lovely!

• Advertisement

I'm moving into the on campus accommodation on Monday, hopefully it's not as bad as it sounds from your account.. The guy who runs the complex seems lovely!

He's the furthest thing from lovely and should be avoided. He's banned students from parking outside around certain parts of the college claiming he owns the grounds. He treated the girls on campus very badly last year and is very difficult to deal with if things aren't in his favor. Students are advised to avoid him.

Im living in Ard Nua again this year and as far as I'm aware we can't move in until Monday the 1st of September. I tried to contact them a few times and I think that the main woman over it isn't around for a few days as she hasn't answered any of the girls emails.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Kmgirl

Hi, I am starting Home Economics and Irish teaching in St. Angela's next week. I have booked to stay in an apartment in Yeats Village as I'll be staying up most weekends and its closer to town than the Campus Accommodation. I am wondering can I move into Yeats Village this Sunday or do I have to wait until Monday?

Also do many students stay up at the weekends?

Kmgirl wrote: »
    Hi, I am starting Home Economics and Irish teaching in St. Angela's next week. I have booked to stay in an apartment in Yeats Village as I'll be staying up most weekends and its closer to town than the Campus Accommodation. I am wondering can I move into Yeats Village this Sunday or do I have to wait until Monday?

Also do many students stay up at the weekends?

Hi there, I asked my friend who's living there this year and she said everyone is moving in on the 1st. I would chance ringing them and telling them your travelling a long distance and that you're in at 9!

Yeah a lot of students would stay up. Most are travelling a god bit to go to Angelas.

Im living in Ard Nua again this year and as far as I'm aware we can't move in until Monday the 1st of September. I tried to contact them a few times and I think that the main woman over it isn't around for a few days as she hasn't answered any of the girls emails.

Turns out when i asked if i could move in any earlier they assumed i was cancelling my place.... (why????) After weeks of constant hounding i got through to her and am moving in late Sunday evening. Good job we don't have to be in 'til 2 on Monday! Or is that just 1st years?
    What's Ard Nua like in general? Friendly? Are the staff helpful? I feel like this is a bad start to the year :S

Turns out when i asked if i could move in any earlier they assumed i was cancelling my place.... (why????) After weeks of constant hounding i got through to her and am moving in late Sunday evening. Good job we don't have to be in 'til 2 on Monday! Or is that just 1st years?
    What's Ard Nua like in general? Friendly? Are the staff helpful? I feel like this is a bad start to the year :S

No idea why they tought that, strange! Glad to hear theyre letting you in on Sunday. Yeah all first years are in Monday and some second years.

Ard Nua is grand to live in, its comfortable and well kept. The wifi is so handy. The staff are grand & helpful for the most time. Got my deposit bk yesterday and im annoyed with them over it considering how well we kept the place. They are known for having a bad rep for giving bk deposits. We bought and replaced teatowls, glasses, dish clothes and got charged for them and other stupd things like remote batteries. €5.99 for two remote batteries (the remote was broken and didnt have batteries) €25 for a clothes horse. Bare in mind we brought this to reception to be replaced as it was broken when we moved in. The list is endless. Anyone I talked to got around €88 bk out of €160. Ive been trying to get a hold of them and it seems impossible!

Also its def not a bad start. Yeats are much easier to deal with. Youll be fine, dont be worrying :)

I'm moving into on campus Sunday evening, I have the HEAR orientation Monday morning before the registration starts at 2! So much planning and packing to be done before then! :P

I'm moving into on campus Sunday evening, I have the HEAR orientation Monday morning before the registration starts at 2! So much planning and packing to be done before then! :P

I'm heading down on Sunday aswell ;) Did you have any word from the accommodation about the lease or paying?

I'm heading down on Sunday aswell ;) Did you have any word from the accommodation about the lease or paying?

Into the on campus accommodation? There's a full price list on their website that gives two payment methods, all at once or two payments months in difference. Works out reasonably well for the standard of accommodation it is! Are you excited? :pac:

• Advertisement

Into the on campus accommodation? There's a full price list on their website that gives two payment methods, all at once or two payments months in difference. Works out reasonably well for the standard of accommodation it is! Are you excited? :pac:

I'm on campus! Yeah I see it there now! I must get it paid before friday :) I can't wait to get started!

Advertisement