Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NHS funding Irish Students

Options
  • 15-02-2013 7:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi guys,

I'm thinking of applying for a Speech and Language undergrad in the UK colleges, I was just wondering if the NHS gives the grant to Irish students? I know they pay for UK students but is it the same for us? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Chloe

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Moved to NI & GB Colleges

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Cliona99

Speaking from experience of Midwifery only, the NHS pay the fees but not the bursary to Irish students. (unless you're in Queens, when you get both)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Chloeanderson

Thanks for the reply Cliona. Any useful links I should be aware of?

Chloe

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Cliona99

Em...you could have a look here, but if you don't live in the UK you don't qualify for the bursary, it's just useful because the bursary people pay the tuition fees of EU students.

https://www.gov.uk/nhs-bursaries/overview

This quote comes from this site:

http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/Students/3261.aspx

"An EU national on the first day of the first academic year of the course who is ordinarily resident in the EEA/Switzerland and attending an eligible course in England (entitled to tuition fee support only)."

If I think of any more I found useful I'll post them. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 knock83

Hi guys,

I'm thinking of applying for a Speech and Language undergrad in the UK colleges, I was just wondering if the NHS gives the grant to Irish students? I know they pay for UK students but is it the same for us? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Chloe

Hey Cliona

I applied for OT through UCAS this year for entry this September. I take it you are applying for 2014?

Just a little tip for your application:
    I would strongly suggest starting your application as soon as it opens in September. You could even be thinking about your personal statement before then.
    The personal statement is the biggie, time to really sell yourself. It will take months to perfect and make sure you get a couple of people to read over it for you.

Another thing is to pick a good referee, it would be great to have a nice reference too.
    All the best

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭perri winkles

I am currently studying Speech and Language Therapy in the UK and the NHS pay your fees if you are from the EU so yep Irish students get funded too. I would keep an eye on it because there were rumours that they would be getting rid of funding even for UK students but I's say it'll be another few years before that happens.

Check out thestudentroom.co.uk I found it very useful for tips on the personal statment and just generally applying through UCAS. What unis are you applying to?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Eimu

Hey guys I am going to apply for dental hygiene in the uk for 2015. Just wondering if you know anything about residence in the eu (I.e. Ireland) to get your fees covered by the NHS-It says that you must have been resident in Ireland for three years prior to the course start date as a requirement to get your fees paid? I know I won't be entitled to a bursary which is fine but I've been away travelling for the past 8 months and so not sure if I would get the fees covered as I have not been ordinarily resident in Ireland for the three years. For those who have already gone and studied I'm just wondering how they asked you to prove your residence? I'm thinking they would ask for bank statements or employer references. Any ideas? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Royce McCutcheon

Hi guys, anyone know if it effects your application if you have already completed an undergarduate course in ireland, also has anyone done nursing through this route? If anyone has in fo on it could you please let me know :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 sonjasowls

Hey :) Im studying in the UK at the mo. I previously did an undergrad in Ireland and I still qualified for the fees being funded by the NHS although they dont give Irish students the bursary as far as I'm aware anyways!!!

sonjasowls wrote: »
    Hey :) Im studying in the UK at the mo. I previously did an undergrad in Ireland and I still qualified for the fees being funded by the NHS although they dont give Irish students the bursary as far as I'm aware anyways!!!

Hi Sonja :-) Did you do a undergrad or have any experience relevant that you think was a massive help in the applicastion process? I Hope you are enjoying it as much as I think I would! :-) Any tips you could give me would be a massive help :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 RosemaryMcC

My daughter wants to study nursing at Queens. I thought she would get fees covered by NHS and also the bursary but it seems not from this thread. Can she apply through SUSI?

Hi Rosemary, my impression is that you can qualify for free fees but you would not be eligble for a bursary, has your daughter done a third level course before?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 RosemaryMcC

No. She sits her LC next year. I get the impression that if she does nursing in NI she will get bursary but not the mainland. Confused. She really wants to go to Queens. Does SUSI figure at all when it comesto nursing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 maria0310

Hi, I'm hoping to do Nutrition and Dietetics in the UK. Will thr NHS pay all of the fees (e.g full £9,000) or only part? This is for the standard student as the fees aren't means tested

Advertisement