Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shared room? Accommodation/Trinity Hall

Options
  • 21-08-2014 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

I have a couple of questions, so I applied for accommodation in halls. I stated that I would prefer a single modern ensuite. I did however state that I would take a shared room also. What are the chances of me receiving a single room even if I said I wouldn't mind sharing? And also has anyone shared a room? What is it like? Any tips/advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭comeclosa

I have a couple of questions, so I applied for accommodation in halls. I stated that I would prefer a single modern ensuite. I did however state that I would take a shared room also. What are the chances of me receiving a single room even if I said I wouldn't mind sharing? And also has anyone shared a room? What is it like? Any tips/advice?

It's largely down to your personal statement. If the Warden likes it and decides to give you a place in Halls, he's going to try his best to give you the single ensuite. This depends on the types of flats he still has available etc.

However, if he thinks that he has a 100% perfect personality match for you, based on your statement and the statement of another girl who indicated she wouldn't mind sharing, he might put the two of you together! I haven't shared myself, but had many friends who have, and lived to tell the tale. To be honest, the reviews have been largely positive! The ones who shared have bonded with their roommates quite a lot by the end of the year, and really gained from the experience. Being able to live in tight quarters and all that.

Only heard of one nightmare story, whereby one guy was sharing with someone he didn't previously know, and his roommate turned out to be a smoker who smoked IN the room, meaning everything in the place stank. You do have to be prepared as these things happen, but a nice serious chat along with some ground rules could go a long way!

Best of luck in getting the en-suite single, definitely loved mine! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭LauraaWhelann

Thanks for that! Did you say in your statement that you would also take a shared room?

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Siobhan6

I shared a room in first year and had absolutely no problems at all. When they allocate the rooms they are sensitive to these things in that they do try to put you with someone that they think will have similar interests etc. The shared rooms are easily four times the size of the singles as well so you have WAAAAAYYY more space! In fact I think if I had the choice again I would still choose the shared room over the single. The only slight problem I ever had was that my room mate found she studied better late at night, whereas I studied during the day and went to bed relatively early. But thankfully I can sleep through anything so it was never a major issue. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Siobhan6

This was my room, to give you an idea of size.

Siobhan6 wrote: »
    This was my room, to give you an idea of size.

Oh yeah it looks pretty big! I really hope I get in because I have literally no where else to go :( im from Waterford!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Sucette!

Oh yeah it looks pretty big! I really hope I get in because I have literally no where else to go :( im from Waterford!

I'm the exact same Laura :/ Cept South Kilkenny! I really hope they'll accept us Southerners <\3 If not I've kinda got no back up plan :(

The twin room looks absolutely fine to me :)

Sucette! wrote: »
    I'm the exact same Laura :/ Cept South Kilkenny! I really hope they'll accept us Southerners <\3 If not I've kinda got no back up plan :(

The twin room looks absolutely fine to me :)

I'm literally PRAYING at this stage :(

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Sucette!

I'm literally PRAYING at this stage :(

We'll pray together so.... I can't even find what an alternative would be <\3

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

sharing is horrible...

• Registered Users Posts: 7 dcarolan14

Hi,
    I applied for Hall accommodation last week but was very disappointed to find out this morning that I didn't get in. I have no back-up plan now as I had thought that I would get in there and am fairly desperate at this stage. I've applied for the second-round offers although there doesn't seem to be much hope there. I said on my application that I'd prefer not to share but I think now it might be a good idea to share and to include a person to share with. So if there's anyone in the same situation and would like to share with me please let me know. I'm a male first-year medical student and I'm a friendly, studious, clean and outgoing person. It might be worth a try. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Sheep95

Hi, how do you know that you didn't get it? I didn't get an email and when I logged into my application it said it hadn't been reviewed yet..

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭RedMickeyMouse

Applied for a single room but added that I would share. Chances of my getting a single?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 aoifek10

Hey guys,
    I just found out I got a twin room in Halls and I'm really disappointed I didn't get a single. I was just wondering what its like sharing a room with regards to privacy and having time to yourself and stuff? Do you have your own wardrobe too?

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Ash_M

It's really not that bad sharing. I didn't get along too well with my second roommate (my first was lovely but ended up dropping out) and even so we didn't get on top of each other too much. You have your own wardrobe, desk and shelves, and the rooms are massive when you're sharing. Obviously it's a bit more of a hassle if you're having overnight visitors, but it's workable especially if people tend to go home at weekends. I'd recommend keeping tidy (or at least keeping all your stuff on your side of the room!) and getting into a reasonable routine early on - if you can't sleep with light on and they're a night owl, don't wait until December to explode about it, just ask them to Skype their mum earlier in the evening/in the kitchen (I assume there's still no internet in the kitchens but wifi can be bounced with a Mac or something).

• Registered Users Posts: 3 aoifek10

Ash_M wrote: »
    It's really not that bad sharing. I didn't get along too well with my second roommate (my first was lovely but ended up dropping out) and even so we didn't get on top of each other too much. You have your own wardrobe, desk and shelves, and the rooms are massive when you're sharing. Obviously it's a bit more of a hassle if you're having overnight visitors, but it's workable especially if people tend to go home at weekends. I'd recommend keeping tidy (or at least keeping all your stuff on your side of the room!) and getting into a reasonable routine early on - if you can't sleep with light on and they're a night owl, don't wait until December to explode about it, just ask them to Skype their mum earlier in the evening/in the kitchen (I assume there's still no internet in the kitchens but wifi can be bounced with a Mac or something).

Okay, that's put my mind at ease a little thank you! I've also just found out that I've been placed in the "Irish house" in Halls with people with good Irish. I'm worried that they'll be speaking Irish all the time and I won't be able to mix with them because my spoken Irish isn't great. Do the students really speak irish 24/7??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

aoifek10 wrote: »
    Okay, that's put my mind at ease a little thank you! I've also just found out that I've been placed in the "Irish house" in Halls with people with good Irish. I'm worried that they'll be speaking Irish all the time and I won't be able to mix with them because my spoken Irish isn't great. Do the students really speak irish 24/7??

No i doubt it, the fact they have Irish helped them get a place in Halls, i really doubt they'll be speaking Irish non stop around people who aren't fluent

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Long Gone

The fact they have Irish helped them get a place in Halls

That's discrimination ! I think we should tell the Irish Times about this ! .:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 16 podz

Long Gone wrote: »
    That's discrimination ! I think we should tell the Irish Times about this ! .:mad:

Well it is Scéim. The whole point is they give people discounts on accommodation for speaking Irish and hosting events as Gaeilge.

Advertisement