Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2013 Cooking Club Week 29: Peach Cobbler

• 26-07-2013 8:41am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭

It's Princess Peach Cobbler :p

Was delighted I got a summer slot, as peaches are in season and I can make my signature dessert. I've been making this for years now making small adjustments to a basic recipe I found in an old cook book till I was happy. It's a simple but very tasty recipe. Great for any level of cook!

Ingredients
    Filling
    • 6 peaches (the less ripe the better)
    • 4tbsp caster sugar
    • Rind and juice of half a lemon
    • 1.5 tsp cornflour
    • 1tsp vanilla extract
    Topping
    • 175g plain flour
    • 85g caster sugar (plus extra for dusting)
    • 1.5 tsp baking powder
    • 0.5 tsp salt
    • 1 tsp ground cinnamon (omitted from photo)
    • 3oz butter (cold from the fridge)
    • 1 egg
    • 5 or 6 tbsp milk

72rBQf.jpg

Pre-heat your oven to 220°C/425°F/Gas mark 7

1. Peel and slice your peaches. You will get sticky! I have found the best method is to get a bowl of just boiled water, pop a peach in it for about 30 seconds, carefully take it out and the skin peels off very easily. You can soak the next peach while you peel this one. Then just do your best to cut large slices around the stone. You can cut the peach in half first and remove the stone, but then the peel is tougher to come off.

2. Place the peaches in an ovenproof dish (about 9 inches square). Add the 4 tbsp of sugar, the lemon rind and juice, cornflour and vanilla extract and toss together. Bake this in the oven for 20 minutes.

4Qu4PW.jpg

3. While the peaches are baking, make your topping. Sift the flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon and salt into a bowl. Dice up the cold butter and rub it into the dry ingredients using fingertips until the mixture looks like breadcrumbs.
    Beat the egg with 5 tbsp of milk in a jug, then mix into the dry ingredients with a fork, until it is a soft, sticky dough. It shouldn't be runny but if you think it is too dry, add another tablespoon of milk.

5gktfC.jpg

4. Turn your oven down to 200°C/400°F/ Gas mark 6. Remove the peaches and drop spoon fulls of the topping over the surface. There is no need to smooth it out, it will spread out as it bakes. Sprinkle over with about a tablespoon of sugar and return it to the oven.

7yBQLX.jpg

5. Bake for 15 minutes until the topping is golden and firm. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.

5xefWm.jpg
    6UTcbu.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Having tried this a couple of times, I can confirm that it's ridiculously tasty, and well worth trying!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Yum! I never really knew what peach cobbler was, so I'm really excited to try this.

Roughly what size is your dish?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I'll give it a precise measurement when I get home, but its the dish you get free with the Dolmio lasagna kit! Maybe about 9 square inches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Lovely! Really like the fact that the recipe matches your user name :)

That's something I will never achieve :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

This looks delicious, I've never had peach cobbler but always liked the sound of it! Going to a BBQ on Sunday so might make it for that :)

• Advertisement

I'll give it a precise measurement when I get home, but its the dish you get free with the Dolmio lasagna kit! Maybe about 9 square inches.

Perfect, I have one for it so :).

Cheshire Cat - I sincerely hope not!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Faith wrote: »
    Yum! I never really knew what peach cobbler was, so I'm really excited to try this.
    I don't know what a Tracker Mortgage is!! :P

I actually never knew what a Peach Cobbler was either. Looks lovely, and simple to make by the looks of it too.

Have the ingredients, will report back later.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Hm, I wonder what an apricot cobbler would be like...?

This was delicious! Had a giant helping so now I'm completely stuffed, but a little part of me is considering going back for more :o.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

What do you mean by 6/6 tbsp milk?

Faith wrote: »
    This was delicious! Had a giant helping so now I'm completely stuffed, but a little part of me is considering going back for more .

There's no calories cause its fruit.
    Mrs Fox wrote: »
    What do you mean by 6/6 tbsp milk?

I amended it there :p

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Your ideas intrigue me, and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

I thought as much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Made this yesterday and it was lovely! I think it would be great with custard too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I have that dish too!! We have it years, has served is well :-)

Peach cobbler looks great, might try it if I can get the kitchen to myself for 5 minutes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Was only missing peaches to make this. Went to the two supermarkets in my locality, neither had them. Foiled! Will continue my search during the week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

I made this once, Paula deens recipe, it was okay, probably would have been much better had I not gotten the ingredients in a petrol station on Xmas eve, tinned peaches, plus for some reason the batter in hers was more like pancake batter, it didn't look very appetising, plus the juice from the tinned peaches overpowered everything. Definitely going to gove this a go, it looks really yummy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,603 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I made an individual portion of this at the weekend.
    Divided everything 6 or there abouts, and used a ceramic/ramekin type thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭sandy_c

Dessert today! Can't wait!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

Love this recipe because, like many people, I grew up hearing reference to it on many American TV shows and always thought it sounded yum. :)

Made this the day after you posted. Like others, I've always heard of Peach Cobbler but never tried it myself, and I always thought it was a bit like a peach crumble, but the topping texture is very bread cake like.
    This was a nice dessert. I served it with custard. Thanks Princess Peach!

152_zpsb764750d.jpg

153_zps47d4cb2a.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    Made this the day after you posted. Like others, I've always heard of Peach Cobbler but never tried it myself, and I always thought it was a bit like a peach crumble, but the topping texture is very bread cake like.
    This was a nice dessert. I served it with custard. Thanks Princess Peach!

Oh that looks so good! Om nom nom!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Mrs Fox, that looks gorgeous! My topping was much more cake-like and yours looks a bit crumbly. How did you mix it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

I made this too. I'm not going to lie - it wasn't a success.

Firstly, the peaches sort of disintegrated - my fault for not 'reading' the recipe and buying the ripest I could find.

The cake misture never really crusted up at all. Also it rose so much, it was 90% cake and overwhelmed the desert. I used a gluten free flour for the first time, which may have been a factor, but truthfully I wasn't necessarily accurate with measurements for the topping and I just failed :o

I really want to make this again, but I'm too lazy to go buy peaches :o.

Malari wrote: »
    Mrs Fox, that looks gorgeous! My topping was much more cake-like and yours looks a bit crumbly. How did you mix it?

I followed the recipe right down to a T, mixing the batter with a fork. I also added the extra 6th tbsp of milk as 5 was a bit dry looking. I dunno how it came out looking crumbly but I can assure you it was cakey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Excellent. I now have a main and a dessert :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

My oh made this last week. Think a couple of our peaches weren't great. Overall it was nice but slightly let down by a couple of not so tasty peaches.

• Advertisement

Going to give this another go. Fresh unripe peaches bought, and my intention is to use a weighing scales....properly, and not just as a token gesture :p

8ifi9N_thumb.jpg[/URL]

Second attempt - far better! Still surprised about how much the topping rose, but it was light and moist and very tasty. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

Just put a slightly scaled down version of this into the oven - glad it's not the full size because peeling peaches is a serious pita. But smells good!

Yar the peeling be a pain! I tried it once just cutting up the peaches with the skin on but they bake with a weird texture then, not as nice.

The hot water trick is handy though, makes it much easier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

It did, I tried peeling one without soaking it to see, and ended up with much less peach from that one! The cobbler is really good though, thanks.
    Edit: Housemate came home and got the one remaining slice, and said thanks too! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Polka_Dot

I made this last week and it was a complete hit! :) Very nice dessert. Made it again this weekend using tinned peaches to try it out, and it actually worked really well. I used two tins, drained off the juice and added an extra 0.5tsp of cornflour to make up for the extra remaining juice. I didn't expect it to work out with the tins but it was still lovely!

• Advertisement
Advertisement