Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should i just give in?

• 03-06-2008 3:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 229 ✭✭

Hi

I'll keep it brief, basically i had my own council house for a few years and my bf was renting his own place, i had to leave my own house, because of anti social behaviour(my house was broken into several times,windows busted etc)and had to move in with my bf,so thecouncil have put me on a transfer list and said i could be waiting up to 2 years to be rehoused, but in the meantime i should be able to get rent allowance

meanwhile my bf has been left go out of his job and i am unemployed also, so my bf has to give up his house as he can no longer afford it, so i said fine i'll get the rent allowance and we'll both move and hopefully in 2 years i will be rehoused, so i started looking at a few places,and i have to find a 2 bedroom place as my bf has a child, so the only places i can see are flats and places in the city centre, and my bf said no he's not moving into a flat even if it is 2 bedroom and he's not moving into the city centre, so i said fine,i'll move myself so and you stay where you are, even though you cant manage the rent, and now we are kinda bitching about it, i feel under pressure now to find a 2 bedroom house out in the country, whereas y attitude is beggars cant be choosers, and i dont see the problem with living in the city centre, or lving in a flat if its only for 2 years, am i being unreasonable here by telling to stay in his own house if he dont like my plans??were together 3 years

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭herya

I think it's pretty unreasonable of him to impose conditions on you in your situation. Ask *him* to find a 2 bed out in the country you could rent - give him a deadline - and if he can't he'll have to accept what you have found.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,460 ✭✭✭RedXIV

herya wrote: »
    I think it's pretty unreasonable of him to impose conditions on you in your situation. Ask *him* to find a 2 bed out in the country you could rent - give him a deadline - and if he can't he'll have to accept what you have found.

+1 Very good advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭echosound

Does he actually mean "the country" though, or just the suburbs? What age is his child, perhaps he doesn't want the child growing up in a flat in the city centre?
    If he does mean the country as opposed to the suburbs, does he have transport so he can get himself/you/child in and out of town/school/work if and when you find it?
    Have a serious discussion about these things, and see if you can come to a compromise - set a deadline to find a house out of town that you can get rent allowance for, if there's none coming up, then he has to accept that all you can manage for the next while is the two bed in town.

There are a few 2 bed cottages for rent in the country where you are (I know cos I rented one myself about 4 miles outside town a few years back, I'm from Waterford myself) and there are a few 2 bed houses in the suburbs that you might be able to get that will fall under the rent allowance limit. Check with all the letting and estate agents and chances are one of them might have a suitable place for you. Check the local papers too. Check the community notices in supermarkets. (or get him to go check it out himself!!!)

Be warned though that many landlords won't be too open to accepting rent allowance from a prospective tenant, they tend to be a little more accomodating if you are already in situ and it's a temporary blip, but not too keen if you're coming to them as rent allowance tenants. Unfair but that's the way it is a lot of the time.

Advertisement