Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insomnia and Acupuncture

Options
  • 03-06-2008 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

OK, I suffer badly from insomnia and over the years I've been put on pretty much every sleeping tablet but none have had any lasting success.

I'm now thinking of going down a different route and trying acupuncture but my problem is that I know anyone who's tried acupuncture to get their opinion of it. Has anyone tried acupuncture for anything and had positive results? and even better have anyone insomniacs tried it and it helped?

Lastly, cost, is it expensive, I've had a look around and on one site someone said that it costs approx: €50 per session and depending on your problem you would usually do 10 sessions and start to see some improvement after 4-6, which means I could spend €300 before I find out it's a waste of time or not.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,407 ✭✭✭RedXIV

not for insomnia but a mate of mine had it for back problems caused through sport. He was as sceptical as they came, especially since he got a needle stuck in his leg for his back problems :confused: but he reckons it did alot of good after wards.

As i said, no idea how it'd work on insomnia but my mate says it's good. sorry it's not better help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭millyj

well I swear by it. Last year my now ex boyfriend was diagnosed with cancer. it was a very stressful time and basically my body stopped working. i wasnt sleeping, my diet was very healthy but my body was nto retaining any nutrienst at all, i stopped getting my period, the list goes on.

a good friend suggested acupuncture so I gace it a go and it was amazing and I am a convert. you get the most amazing sense of peace once the needles are in ( and that doesnt hurt either) but anyway after my forst session, he placed 3 needles in my abdomen and next day I got my period.....it was unbelievable. I did go back every week then and had amzing results for other things . yes it was 50 euros but i can claim back half of that through Quinn Healthcare.

Give it a go, I think you will be very pleasantly surprised. let me know how you get on.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭NukeD4

Hi OP, i had acupuncture for a course of six weeks recently for sleep problems,depression and just for general well being, i found it very beneficial,sleep improved for a while,its a bit messed up now,but thats my fault staying up all night drinking.:o
    I thought it really helped with my general well being,and it stands to reason if your in better form your sleep may improve as i know that having disrupted sleep patterns really got me down, and messed with my head.
    I would suggest it as it is a really interesting experience and you have nothing to lose.
    Good luck and p.s it doesnt hurt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Do you consume caffeine during the day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Pen1987

It works on the basis that you treat the person not the ailment, which does benefit insomnia IMO, because it is often caused by other factors in lifestyle (stress, depression etc etc)...

a good accupuncturist will ask you a whole list of questions regarding your overall health in your first session, maybe examine areas of the body totally unrelated (e.g. he/she may ask you to show them your tongue, because the colour of it indicates certain internal ailments (check out your tongue when your dehydrated or have a cold, it has a white coating))... they may stick needles somewhere unrelated also because the theory is that it works off internal nervous channels that run from head to toe. A good accupuncturist WILL NOT tell you that you will need ten sessions before you might see any benefit, three maybe, but ten is a bad sign... if your not seeing any benefit after three they may try a different approach but a good one defo wont ask you for ten session before you start. 50e would be upper end of the scale, the first session is usually more expensive than following ones (because the full body examination lasts longer)... a euro a minute would be standard I think. I swear by the stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭GirlInterrupted

Perhaps you should research the efficiacy of acupunture first. A good place to start before you spend a fortune is the Skeptics Dictionary.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks for all those who have given advice, I think it's something that I'm definitely going to try. I'm in Dublin but I assume it's against the rules for someone to recommend someone who is good and won't just try to get 10 sessions out of me.

@ dublindude - no caffeine at all during the day, don't like coffee/tea/coke.

Advertisement