Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there no hope for us?

Options
  • 29-05-2008 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I've been with my boyfriend for the last 3.5 years. He's my best friend, and I always thought we were soul mates.

We had some minor scraps, like any relationship. About a year, year and a half ago, he said he was no longer attracted to me.(This has since changed, he says I'm the sexiest girl ever etc) He wanted to stay with me though. But naturally, I felt awful. I was out with friend. I made a terrible mistake and I cheated. I guess I liked someone finding me attractive. But that's neither here, nor there. What I did was deplorable. It is the lowest moment of my life, and I'm still disgusted with myself.

I told my boyfriend the next day. Regardless to say, he was devastated. I had broken the trust. We broke up for about a week. He eventually forgave me, and we were back together. After a while, he told me that he had a secret - that thinking of what I did turned him on. He had fantasised about it. He told me that a liberal sexual lifestyle always appealed to him. To cut a long story short, we started to explore this complete different side to our relationship. We looked up swinging sites, looking for like minded couples.We had some more experience with several couples.

We had much more experience with single males in threesomes. It so much easier to find males. And my boyfriend loved it. In fact, one night he talked me into going to guys house for a threesome one night. So it wasn't a case of me getting all I want. There were times I wasn't really pushed, and he wanted it.

Now, we've a problem. I just.... don't want to do any of this stuff anymore. I don't really know why, but I just don't have an interest. I will also admit watching him with other women does ZERO for me. He had said we can still do loads of threesomes if we met up with couples
    every once in a while. But I don't think that's fair, because why should be able party with guys when he's not partying with girls...

We're literally asking ourselves "Should we break up now?" This is something he really wants as a lifestyle choice. Also, I'm leaving the country for a few years in August. I'll be back in Ireland maybe... 5/6 weeks a year. I really want us too work. I would do nearly anything. I even said I'd force myself to swing if it kept us together, but he said that isnt how he wants us to do it.

We don't want to break up. But it seems inevitable. I guess I just want to hear peoples perspective, and advice.

Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,407 ✭✭✭RedXIV

If you read over your post, you've pretty much answered your question. You don't want to do this anymore, it does nothing for you. You agreed to keep going for his sake but he doesn't want you to do it just for him. I'm not going to lie, this sounds like a relationship on the rocks.

IF you want to be happy in this relationship you both need to sit down and discuss what you're happy with and what you feel you can't accept. If the Pro's outweigh the Con's, give it a shot, but in the likely event that you have 3 con's for every pro, you might want to think about ending it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭karen3212

In my opinion you should explore other/new relationships yourself, it sounds like what he wants right now is not for you right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 suesuss

Unfortunatley you need to make a choice and i think you have done so already, you know what you want and you need to be true to yourself and break away everything happens for a reason. If he enjoys this scene so much it,s highly unlikely he will ever change. Move away start fresh and you,ll realise in time it was the right thing to do. Doubt means don,t in my book.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

It sounds like the relationship has run its course and you are both going different paths.

Its time to move on..moving away will be good for you. But you know this deep down it just hard to accept it.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 maryjmul

whats there to think about you tried it out to please him and maybe you at the time now you realise this lifestyle is not for you ,don't go along with this to keep your man as you will only feel demoralised ,i suggest you go away and put it all behind you build a new life for yourself with a new group of friends,there is one question i would like to ask if you truly love him how can you watch him getting off with other people,my heart would break if my man did anything like that to me i couldn't bear to think of him doing something like that ,give him up now for your own sake as he will break your heart,,much luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭DD

Unreg'd wrote: »
    I've been with my boyfriend for the last 3.5 years. He's my best friend, and I always thought we were soul mates.

After a while, he told me that he had a secret - that thinking of what I did turned him on. He had fantasised about it. He told me that a liberal sexual lifestyle always appealed to him. We had some more experience with several couples.
    We had much more experience with single males in threesomes. It so much easier to find males. And my boyfriend loved it. In fact, one night he talked me into going to guys house for a threesome one night. So it wasn't a case of me getting all I want. There were times I wasn't really pushed, and he wanted it.
    He had said we can still do loads of threesomes if we met up with couples
    every once in a while.
    Also, I'm leaving the country for a few years in August. I'll be back in Ireland maybe... 5/6 weeks a year. I really want us too work. I would do nearly anything. I even said I'd force myself to swing if it kept us together, but he said that isnt how he wants us to do it.

We don't want to break up. But it seems inevitable. I guess I just want to hear peoples perspective, and advice.
    Thanks for reading.

Is it normal to have sex with other people? I think this is crazy and it is disgusting. I wouldn't do this with the boyfriend never ever!!!!!!!

You are decided to leave so why do you care then. You won't be together anymore, you can't be if you are apart. Go on with your life. To be honest what you described above doesn't look too normal to me. But of course it is my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Yeah, how "normal" is this? Just would not put up with someone else f*cking my girlfriend. The idea of watching & being turned on isn't even comprehendible. Pretty damn sure she'd feel exactly the same!
    Unreg'd wrote:
    We had some minor scraps, like any relationship. About a year, year and a half ago, he said he was no longer attracted to me.(This has since changed, he says I'm the sexiest girl ever etc)

Don't like the sound of that at all. I think he finds the girl he can use for threesomes very handy & knows calling her sexy might keep her around. Perhaps telling you he wasn't attracted to you was a plan to weaken your self esteem & make you easier to mess around. Vast majority of girls would run a mile at the mention of meeting strangers for sex.

Also, like christ, can only imagine what you're likely to catch, all these people you meet up with are likely to have had multiple partners who have had multiple partners who have had multiple partners...... condoms don't cover you for everything & they break too.... If you're "partying" with bi-guys you'd really want to be careful, how would you feel about telling your friends & family you're HIV positive?
    Unreg'd wrote:

Now, we've a problem. I just.... don't want to do any of this stuff anymore. I don't really know why, but I just don't have an interest. I will also admit watching him with other women does ZERO for me. He had said we can still do loads of threesomes if we met up with couples
    every once in a while. But I don't think that's fair, because why should be able party with guys when he's not partying with girls...

Actually getting a bit annoyed & upset for you now. He knows you don't want to do this but he also knows you'll do it to keep him. He has no respect for you.

If you were with someone else would you have ever have suggested this, or even have contemplated it? Get the f*ck outta there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 LadyGodiva

OP Get out of this relationship now, he is a user and you know it. He is playing you like a puppet

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Maggie Simpson

"Moral" issues aside, everyone gets their sexual kicks in different ways. I know lots of guys who are into the idea of a threesome but when push comes to shove, admit they probably would never do it. Sexuality is a wonderfully diverse thing & for most people, they will find someone who is into the same stuff as them & BINGO.

But this doesn't seem to be the case with you OP. And as others have said, it would seem like you have a great opportunity with moving away to end the relationship. Do you really want a relationship with someone you see for 5/6 weeks a year? And even if you did, do you want to have to compromise yourself sexually for that relationship?

TBH, your bf is putting his sexual needs above yours and that just isn't cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

go your seperate ways, relationships shouldnt b that hard

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

I'm not going to go into the rights or wrongs or whats normal or not. There are plenty of people out there enjoy an alternative lifestyle and once its consenting adults who enjoy it then I am sure it is normal to them?

But something like this needs absolutely to be mutual. Only couples that Both want it, are secure and confident in their relationships should even contemplate swinging, unless of course you are fcuk buddies and then you do what you want.

But you do not have to accept this. You do not have to compromise this much to keep the relationship. You are both pushing and pulling in different directions and that is not how a relationship flows or moves forward.

All i will say to you is think about what YOU want. If you are happy to continue swinging or having 3somes then go for it.

If not i would seriously consider dating someone that wants you and only you and does not want another man touching you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Don't like the sound of that at all. I think he finds the girl he can use for threesomes very handy & knows calling her sexy might keep her around. Perhaps telling you he wasn't attracted to you was a plan to weaken your self esteem & make you easier to mess around. Vast majority of girls would run a mile at the mention of meeting strangers for sex.

Actually getting a bit annoyed & upset for you now. He knows you don't want to do this but he also knows you'll do it to keep him. He has no respect for you.

If you were with someone else would you have ever have suggested this, or even have contemplated it? Get the f*ck outta there.

That post is actually pathetic. What age are you, 12? Because someone is into an alternative lifestyle you brand them as a sick power monger? She's indicated that they both explored it, now she doesn't want to do it and she has clearly said he does NOT want her to do this if she's not up for it. Please point out the part where he's forcing her to do it. Swinging is actually quite popular in Britian and Europe. Look up any site and you will find 1,000's of couples of all ages into it. I suppose they are all victims of elaborate abusive plans designed to keep them down, yeah? It must be a global conspiracy.
    Also, like christ, can only imagine what you're likely to catch, all these people you meet up with are likely to have had multiple partners who have had multiple partners who have had multiple partners...... condoms don't cover you for everything & they break too.... If you're "partying" with bi-guys you'd really want to be careful, how would you feel about telling your friends & family you're HIV positive?

Another pearl of wisdom. Please point out the increased danger of contracting STD from another couple then any of the 1,000's of people who sleep with strangers every night of the week. We all have our one nighters, that's part of life. Yet somehow in your eyes swapping with adult couples is a cess pit of disease. I fail to see any logic there...Unless you have a statistic to prove that married couples and long term partners somehow magically have a higher amount of STD's then your average 20-30 year old who sleeps around with strangers?

I fully agree with others, if it's not working out, then don't do it. No-one can force you into anything and if they do, they are not the person for you - that's a trust between a couple that cannot be pushed. But wild speculation and ungrounded ravings have no place in a topic like this.
    OP Get out of this relationship now, he is a user and you know it. He is playing you like a puppet

I won't even start on this one. Must have been reading a different post.

there is absolutely nothing in the original post to suggest the guy is anything but an individual who enjoys an alternative lifestyle that his girlfriend was happy to indulge and now wants out - and it appears that he doesn't want her to swing just for him.

I feel like I've to comment on this because me and the girlfriend have tried the whole scene, had a bit of fun, and decided we're fine now with each other - and to think that we're somehow 'not normal' and 'disgusting' simply for that reason is a bit insulting.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

He wasn't attracted to you......

You cheated on him.....

Out of all this came a scenario where you BOTH get to sleep with OTHER people, Hmmmm... coincidence? I don't think so.

Move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

First off if the relationship is ment to last then you both should be able to agree on what to do. If you dont want to swing any more then dont, its as simple as that. If your bf can not live without swinging then sorry but maybe you guys are coming to an end. If he can understand and accept that this is no longer something you wish to take part in then where is the problem? Or are you just looking for a way out as your leaving the country?

If you entered into swinging purely to keep your bf happy, have done things you did not want to simply because he wanted it then there is a problem, but again if you really are ment to be together you can get over any problem. As has been said before both parties of any couple that swings has to be in agreement that it is something they both want and that they both agree on the extra parties that are involved. While relationships do need compromise, this really is not something any one should do just to keep their partner happy. Compromising on this just opens a nasty can of worms, maybe not right away but it will open.

We're sure all those coming out here and saying that swinging is evil/dirty/horrible have their own little secerts, what ever they may be. Remember each to their own and if it is between consenting adults and does not cause anyone else harm then that is their choice to make. As has been said before most singles are out there every weekend having their one night stands, couples that swing dont do it every night they are out, its a more occasional/rare thing. But the risk of catching something is there for both groups. Just because a couple swing does not mean they dont know what a condom is, which is the same basic protection available to both groups. And swinging does not have to involve full sex, this is the difference between full and soft swap. What is the bigger risk? A drunken "woops I never noticed the condom burst" bit of fun at the weekends with a random partner from the pub, or a couple swinging every couple of months/weeks? Add to that its not uncommon for swinging couples to request their possible swinging partners to show a clean STI/STD check. When was the last time any single asked that when they get lucky in a pub/club?

As a couple we have swung before and will swing again when we both want to. While we know its not the most common lifestyle choice out there, but more common than you would think, it is one we do now and again and find it good for our relationship. We wont go into the details of why or in what way because thats different for everyone. We will just say we are extremely happy in our relationship and swinging while not being the cause of being happy has added to it in its own way.

To the OP and the OP's boyfriend, think about whats important in this life. If you both truely love each other then you guys can work it out. Because losing a partner for something like this really does seem short sighted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

It sounds like what when you broke that trust he lost his respect for you and so had no problem using you to delve into such a lifestyle.

You went a long with it and you have discovered it is not for you so if he cared and respected you he would not be pushing you to make his fantasies come true.

That post is actually pathetic. What age are you, 12? Because someone is into an alternative lifestyle you brand them as a sick power monger? She's indicated that they both explored it, now she doesn't want to do it and she has clearly said he does NOT want her to do this if she's not up for it. Please point out the part where he's forcing her to do it. Swinging is actually quite popular in Britian and Europe. Look up any site and you will find 1,000's of couples of all ages into it. I suppose they are all victims of elaborate abusive plans designed to keep them down, yeah? It must be a global conspiracy.

Read between the lines FFS. Don't put words in my mouth either. I wouldn't care about they're doing if she wanted to do it too. He's not forcing her but he's clearly manipulating her
    OP wrote:
    So it wasn't a case of me getting all I want. There were times I wasn't really pushed, and he wanted it.

Yet even after this it continued. He would have known well from her lack of enthusiasm she didn't want to do it
    Another pearl of wisdom. Please point out the increased danger of contracting STD from another couple then any of the 1,000's of people who sleep with strangers every night of the week. We all have our one nighters, that's part of life. Yet somehow in your eyes swapping with adult couples is a cess pit of disease. I fail to see any logic there...Unless you have a statistic to prove that married couples and long term partners somehow magically have a higher amount of STD's then your average 20-30 year old who sleeps around with strangers?

You're being very patronising for someone talking such nonsense. You actually want me to point out the increased danger of STDs in a couple who formally agree to f*ck strangers with no strings attached? Are you for real?

Also, lets say couples weren't a higher risk(which any idiot can see they will be if they're having multiple partners) didn't you notice the bit where she said it was much easier to find single males.

We all have our one nighters but they're not every night of the week(rofl-ed at that bit). Most guys would be lucky to get one every 6months. And where exactly did I condone sleeping with random strangers?????

I feel like I've to comment on this because me and the girlfriend have tried the whole scene, had a bit of fun, and decided we're fine now with each other - and to think that we're somehow 'not normal' and 'disgusting' simply for that reason is a bit insulting.

Ah right, personally biased. You responding to things I didn't say makes more sense now.Well I hope you've been checked up & sorry if I caused any offence, but I'm not prepared to live in a PC dreamland.
    swingunreg wrote:
    As has been said before most singles are out there every weekend having their one night stands, couples that swing dont do it every night they are out, its a more occasional/rare thing. But the risk of catching something is there for both groups. Just because a couple swing does not mean they dont know what a condom is, which is the same basic protection available to both groups. And swinging does not have to involve full sex, this is the difference between full and soft swap. What is the bigger risk? A drunken "woops I never noticed the condom burst" bit of fun at the weekends with a random partner from the pub, or a couple swinging every couple of months/weeks?

Here we go again, if someone was having a different partner every week from the pub & posted here about it, every second post would be telling her to have an STD check. Condoms won't stop you from getting Herpes & HPV, and if you're a woman(or a man receiving anal) & the condom breaks you're in serious danger if the person has HIV/Hepatitis. Even in you're crazy example I'd imagine its safer with the people in the pub. Not a personal attack on you but who would you rather be with, the guy in the pub using condoms or the guy who uses prostitutes regularly & uses condoms? Switch to women if you're male.

This is a PI, not a debate on swinging, the OP has been doing this for 18months & mentioned swinging with several coubles & even more single males. Didn't mention anything about STD checks. I seriously doubt the majority of people involved in swinging go through mutual spotchecks for STDs, I don't even know the procedures for getting access to a consenting strangers medical files, but I'd imagine there's a lot of formalities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

No there isn't, you get a statement of your STD status when you get your screening done and you can show that to people.

If people are careful practicing safer sex then they are not at huge ammount of risk esp if they and those they are playing with are scruplous about such things and a most of the good and decent people who happen to be swingers are scruplous and mature about these things.

But that is not the issue here it is that her partner is not listening to her and she needs to look at the fact her life is leading her away from him and that she no longer wants to play.

You're being very patronising for someone talking such nonsense.

Also, lets say couples weren't a higher risk(which any idiot can see they will be if they're having multiple partners) didn't you notice the bit where she said it was much easier to find single males.

We all have our one nighters but they're not every night of the week(rofl-ed at that bit). Most guys would be lucky to get one every 6months. And where exactly did I condone sleeping with random strangers?????

Couples swinging with other couples a few times a year are at a higher risk then your average 20-30 year old who **** random strangers after clubs etc? That happens every night of the week don't you know? Please, point out to me, specifically, how a couple that have sex with another couple a few times a year are at a higher risk then the average joe who has a few one night stands a year?

I never once said you condoned sleeping with random strangers, but that it was ludicrous that you suggest that swinging couples are far more open to disease. They aren't.
    You actually want me to point out the increased danger of STDs in a couple who formally agree to f*ck strangers with no strings attached? Are you for real?

As opposed to the single population who agree to **** strangers with no strings attached every night of the week in every club in the country? Or do you live somewhere where single people don't believe in sex before marriage or have a impermeable barrier against STDs?
    Here we go again, if someone was having a different partner every week from the pub & posted here about it, every second post would be telling her to have an STD check. Condoms won't stop you from getting Herpes & HPV, and if you're a woman(or a man receiving anal) & the condom breaks you're in serious danger if the person has HIV/Hepatitis.

Yeah but here you go making wild analogies. Swingers don't swing every night or, for most of them, more then a few times a year in fact - so stop implying otherwise.
    Even in you're crazy example I'd imagine its safer with the people in the pub. Not a personal attack on you but who would you rather be with, the guy in the pub using condoms or the guy who uses prostitutes regularly & uses condoms? Switch to women if you're male.

What the hell sort of an example is that? Comparing a prostitute user to a swinging couple? Put it this way - who would you rather have sex with - the girl you meet in a club or the girl you meet in a pub? Yeah, that's right - there's no difference. In the same way, a swinging couple is just as likely to have an STD as much as the single person but not more likely. A couple is compromised of two individuals. There's very little difference from a 'normal' one night stand apart from the fact they're a social 'couple'.

Honestly I think the issue here is that you have some sort of warped idea of what swinging entails. For most people, it means meeting another couple maybe twice, three times a year. In the same way that you would have the same amount of one night stands at least - and in both instances, there can be excess, and in both instances, equal susceptibility to disease.

Okay I accept your points & I think we're arguing about different things. I'm more so talking about swingers like the OP, several couples & single men in 18mths. Surely you'll agree they would be at a much higher risk of contracting something. I agree swingers who do it very occasionally are at a much lower risk than them.

When you first quoted me I was talking directly to the OP. Perhaps that wasn't made clear enough.

Yeah fair enough. I wasn't trying to ruffle feathers the wrong way - sorry if my initial post was a bit OTT. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 adam.number3

To be honest OP, I don't think you have a problem. If he's happy with MMF threesomes and you enjoy it too, then there's no problem. Chill and enjoy, don't think too much. I know you said you weren't that bothered, but it read like... this is what I should say, rather than, this is what I feel. Be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

DD wrote: »
    Is it normal to have sex with other people? I think this is crazy and it is disgusting. I wouldn't do this with the boyfriend never ever!!!!!!!

There is no such thing as 'normal'. When will people get that into their heads?
    If a couple are both happy with this type of lifestyle then that's their business. Each to their own. The issue here is that he's into it (possibly just taking advantage of a convenient situation but that's another matter) and she isn't. It's a compatibility issue. That you think it's not normal is of no relevance.
    Yeah, how "normal" is this? Just would not put up with someone else f*cking my girlfriend.

Neither would I. But again that's not relevant. The OP is not here because she thinks it's abnormal per se, it's because she no longer wants it to be part of her life. That it might suit someone else is their choice to make.

OP, you say you love this guy and that you want it to work out, but you know in your heart there isn't a chance of that as things stand. DO NOT under any circumstances continue the swinging lifestyle and the threesomes just to keep him. Bad bad idea. It doesn't sound much like he's worth keeping anyway. Like other posters I kinda smell a big fat rat here, there's a strong possibility you're just being used by a guy who isn't necessarily into the swinging scene as such, but is taking advantage of a convenient arrangement whereby he gets to shag around and still have a girlfriend to fall back on.

A guy who would in effect try to cajole you into this against your wishes has no respect for you. Get rid of him.

PS just looked back at your original post and I'm thinking it's a bit of a coincidence that he suddenly became re-attracted to you at the same time as you decided to let him have sex with other people.

Edit: Adam.number3 - can you actually read?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 adam.number3

yes, can you?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Keep on topic and play nice people. Any childish bickering and I'm handing out bans. Simple as.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭chuci

op its pretty obvious that you think this has run its course. you dont want to do this anymore and he does.it seem simple really, and factor in that your leaving the country for pretty much good in august is another factor. do you honestly think that he will hang around for the few weeks that you will be back in the country?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

chuci wrote: »
    op its pretty obvious that you think this has run its course. you dont want to do this anymore and he does.it seem simple really, and factor in that your leaving the country for pretty much good in august is another factor.

No, I don't think it has run it's course, if I'm truly honest. It was seeming that way because it is such a big issue. I know in my heart that he is the man I want to marry. We just needed help getting over this.... hurdle..

chuci wrote: »
    do you honestly think that he will hang around for the few weeks that you will be back in the country?
    aidan24326 wrote:
    Like other posters I kinda smell a big fat rat here, there's a strong possibility you're just being used by a guy who isn't necessarily into the swinging scene as such, but is taking advantage of a convenient arrangement whereby he gets to shag around and still have a girlfriend to fall back on.

Swinging isn't about being with other people. It's about consenting adults having fun. It introduces extra fun into the bedroom! Some people like S&M, others like anal! It's just an alternative sexual lifestyle.

To chuci - Yes, i do think he would wait. And I say that without a shadow of doubt. He's not the monster it seems my post made him out to be - we are together for years. He is a fantastic person.

To aidan - We swung twice with a couple. So that's two girls. We had experiences with just males much, much more. Again, it is not about getting with other people.

Thanks for all the replies. Things are better now.... He has deleted our profiles on swinging websites. So it's a fresh start I suppose. He told me how how we are meant for each other. He only wants to do it, if it was gonna be a thing we both loved to do. He was just really hoping I'd revert back to wanting it.

Advertisement