Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Coolant temp

Options
  • 05-10-2013 11:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi all..i have a 07 1.6 opel Vectra.my temp needle sits at 92..i got a leak and the garage renewed hoses and radiator..i got a diagnostic report that says my coolant is running at 110 is this normal?????thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Polo_Cluvie

Most likely your coolant temperature sensor is for the birds. You can get it at any motor factor for about 20 euro and it's a simple fix

• Registered Users Posts: 8 reefa

I will tomorrow. thanks for that..will let you know..cheers,,,,:):)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Its a pressurised cooling system so it will run at over 100C, I would of guessed around 105C. The water doesn't boil cause of the pressure in the system.

At 110C (or so) normally the electric fan would be running trying to get rid of heat from the radiator.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 reefa

thanks that fixed the problem..got new sensor and fan kicking in at 105...at long last....thanks again.....:):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Polo_Cluvie

Glad I could help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭rorymagory

I've a similar problem with an audi a3. On the motorway last Friday the coolant warning light came on, temp was up to around 115deg (gauge goes from 60 to 120).

Got home and checked the coolant level, unfortunately it was full to the max so I doubt that's the problem. From looking at youtube videos i gather that most cars have a coolant tank and a reservoir, but not this car.

I'd only bought the shaggin thing a half hour before I saw the warning light (seriously), it had passed the NCT that morning. It's in warranty so the garage where I bought it will take it back for a look, but it'll mean a day off work to get back out there.

A poster above said it could be a sensor issue, easy to fix in any garage. Has anyone more experience with problems like this? Common enough problem? The coolant level hadn't dropped between last Friday and today, so maybe not a leak. The temp went up to 110 again on the 10 minute to and from work today again without the warning light. Is it standard for cars to run at around 110degrees? Any advice appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

What engine is it? VAG usually design their engines to run at around 90 *C.

Does the fan work?

It's unlikely to be a thermostat failure, since they're designed to fail open on VAG engines which makes the engine run cold.

Chances are it's a CTS failure - it's not uncommon for VAG engines. If you know someone with VAG diagnostics, it'd be interesting to plug in and see what the ECU is reporting for coolant temperature - the CTS has separate elements for the coolant gauge on the cluster, and the coolant temperature input to the ECU (both in the same sensor). Sometimes one goes and the other one is fine.

Advertisement