Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bored in relationship

• 03-06-2008 1:29am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    I am going to be very honest in this post, since I am anonymous.

I met my boyfriend at a party last summer. We were both drunk and I remember thinking he seemed nice. He seemed very interested. I took his number and he went home, we went to the cinema a week later. After he said he would ring me during the week and we would arrange to meet up again- he texted the next day wanting to meet up that night. In the end we started going out and have been together 11 months now.

But I am getting so bored. Don't get me wrong- the relationship between the two of us is not boring- we fight a LOT and have had some really awful arguments. But I am getting so bored with him. Unless we are fighting, we spend every day together. I enjoy my time with him but he is just so... nice. Even when we first started going out, it was never "god this guy is so hot/sexy/cool" etc, I only ever remember thinking "he is so nice". I know he is really in love with me, I have never doubted that. I feel bad saying it but I would love someone a bit more exciting. Even in bed- his favourite position is missionary which does hardly anything for me. I find myself wishing I could just go out and score randomly like I used to- I have even been thinking about going behind his back which I feel awful about as he is my 3rd boyfriend and I have never cheated on anyone. To top things all off he has attempted suicide before (before I knew him) and he had depression since about November. He has just come off his antidepressants a few weeks ago and he has been very argumentative since which is making me feel worse. I don't think I love him- I tell him I do but I never feel it. Having said that I am the type of person that doesn't realise how they feel about someone until I don't have them anymore.

Can anyone offer any advice?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭b3t4

You've two options

1. spice things up by talking to your partner
    2. get out.

I'd advise you take option two as you don't seem overly won with this relationship. I don't believe it's fufilling you're needs and wants therefore I can't see how you'd be happy in this relationship for the long run. (I mean you're contemplating cheating on the guy, somethings wrong here, right?)

Forget about his depression here as this is something he has to deal with and not you. Yes, he might throw the 'i'll commit suicde if you leave' line when you do decide to end things. All you can do in this instance is to highlight how he's feeling to a mate of his so that they can keep a watchful eye over him.

Can you see a future for this relationship? If not, then get out. Else you are wasting his time and yours.

A

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

PinknBlack wrote: »
    Hi,
    I am going to be very honest in this post, since I am anonymous.

I met my boyfriend at a party last summer. We were both drunk and I remember thinking he seemed nice. He seemed very interested. I took his number and he went home, we went to the cinema a week later. After he said he would ring me during the week and we would arrange to meet up again- he texted the next day wanting to meet up that night. In the end we started going out and have been together 11 months now.

But I am getting so bored. Don't get me wrong- the relationship between the two of us is not boring- we fight a LOT and have had some really awful arguments. But I am getting so bored with him. Unless we are fighting, we spend every day together. I enjoy my time with him but he is just so... nice. Even when we first started going out, it was never "god this guy is so hot/sexy/cool" etc, I only ever remember thinking "he is so nice". I know he is really in love with me, I have never doubted that. I feel bad saying it but I would love someone a bit more exciting. Even in bed- his favourite position is missionary which does hardly anything for me. I find myself wishing I could just go out and score randomly like I used to- I have even been thinking about going behind his back which I feel awful about as he is my 3rd boyfriend and I have never cheated on anyone. To top things all off he has attempted suicide before (before I knew him) and he had depression since about November. He has just come off his antidepressants a few weeks ago and he has been very argumentative since which is making me feel worse. I don't think I love him- I tell him I do but I never feel it. Having said that I am the type of person that doesn't realise how they feel about someone until I don't have them anymore.

Can anyone offer any advice?
    Why are you with him? You're using him, let him go and find someone who really cares about him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,051 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Unless you want to try and make him fun/exciting. Lead him into it.

But if you're lying to him about loving him: nobody deserves that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭iPoker

Hi,
    To top things all off he has attempted suicide before (before I knew him) and he had depression since about November. He has just come off his antidepressants a few weeks ago and he has been very argumentative since which is making me feel worse.

Unless you want to be forever walking on eggshells, and afraid to end a relationship in case this crazy does something to himself, get rid, immediately....

I'd been with a girl for about 18 months when I was 20/21...was not happy with how things were going, so I ended it.....follow that with months of threats of what she was going to do to herself. The worst kind of thing to do to anyone. BS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

If you're not in love with him you're not in love with him, lying about it does no-one any good. If breaking up with you is enough to send him over the edge then he's probably already teetering and will relapse regardless of whether you stay or go, it's just a matter of time.

That said though are you sure that this is not just a case of the grass is greener? Perhaps just spending a little less time together each week will help you appreciate the time you do have and the qualities you like in him that little bit more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Heard this tale before. Very well that the guy is a nice guy but of course, thats not what a girl wants. :)

You're not the first girl to be bored by a guy and you won't be the last. Personally, in your situation, i'd get out, but do the guy a favour and explain why. I was kicked out of 2 relationships when i was younger and given no reason why and that plagued me for AGES. When a girl broke up with me in college, she explained why and it was one of the most informative things i've learned in my life.

bottom line, if you don't think he's going to change, leave

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Have to agree with above posters, either spice it up and see how things go from there or get out of the relationship. Give him a chance though, explain to him that you want some fire in the relationship, maybe he thinks you dont want to change anything.

If that doesnt work out then you'll have to leave him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Wagon

I enjoy my time with him but he is just so... nice. Even when we first started going out, it was never "god this guy is so hot/sexy/cool" etc, I only ever remember thinking "he is so nice".

Says it all really. Break up with him, don't stall it any longer. I'd normally suggest talking to him and try to spice things up but you appear to have already left the relationship mentally, considering the fact that you want to go out and get off with blokes randomly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

are you with him to be with HIM or to be with a BOYFRIEND?

if its not for him then youre wasting both your time.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Yep unless you work on this and want to work on this, then leave him to find someone who loves him and fancies him beyond being "nice". If you don't then I don't need to be mystic meg to see a scenario where you will bump into someone else who will light your touchpaper and current guy will be left holding the pieces.

You say you're bored and fight a lot so why are you in this? Fear of being alone maybe? That's where I would put my money anyway. Don't wait around for the above scenario to happen. It's selfish to do so. No excuses about hurting him either. That is an excuse not to face this now. I guarantee that if you do meet someone who floats your boat tomorrow you would leave him, so let him go now.

Better karma if you want to look at it like that.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
Advertisement