Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

whats the point of punk?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Jazz Punks **** Off

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

Zaphod B wrote:
    Punk may be said to be less a genre than a state of mind ... or possibly a state of unwashedness. Personally I'd say it's in a state of disrepair. When I see some rip-off clothes store selling pre-"distressed" T-shirts with my beloved Clash on them for £50 I have to stop myself from vomiting up all my internal organs and choking on them. So I admit it, I'm a snob. But on the other hand I don't go around insisting that people can only call themselves punks if they've thrown bricks at the police, or lived for a year in a shoebox while selling their arse.

I don't see that you need "punk trousers" or "punk hair" to appreciate what punk-rock music has to offer. The idea of a punk "scene" is great, but not in those cases where it entails narrow-minded people who have no respect for people with other tastes in music, clothing or lifestyle.

Punk was often claimed to represent the rejection of pompous rock acts disconnected from ordinary life, yet punk bands went on to fill stadiums themselves. Also punk is hardly completely irreverent, considering the veneration given to certain bands and individuals. I know that if I had my way any Hollywood movie that gratuitously plays London Calling would be removed from circulation and all copies destroyed. Plus Ronan Keating would be parachuted into a minefield for defiling the works of the McGowan.

So maybe punk is about contradictions. The attitude saying "I don't give a shít" but the politics and the lyrics saying "I give a shít". Maybe it's about giving a shít about the things that matter most. Hopefully it's about good music.

Then again, maybe it's about the trousers. What's the point of punk? How the fúck should I know? :)

excellent post!

i always thought punk was great because of teh "punk ethic" - do it yourself, mix it all up, grassroots creativity... "here's three chords, go form a band" as the front cover of "sniffin glue" once said [think it was SG anyway]

[incidentally, there was a techno fanzine that once said "909 - 808 - 303 - go make a record" - 909's etc being drum machines]

i think that whole go-it-alone-and-fùck-the-system attitude was absolutely the most important and radical innovation to come out of punk imo... certainly a lot more influential than the trousers! [please do keep wearing them, and the jazz hats too!]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭ANarcho-Munk

Zyox wrote:
    You need proof-of-punkerness though.

So that's ANarcho-Munk fúcked. Wannabe. GOE BACK TO CENTRAL BANK.

What's your fúcking problem you non-stop-bitching gimp?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Redleslie2

i think that whole go-it-alone-and-fùck-the-system attitude was absolutely the most important and radical innovation to come out of punk imo.
    They nicked it from Tristan Tzara.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭OLP

Zyox wrote:

So that's ANarcho-Munk fúcked. Wannabe. GOE BACK TO CENTRAL BANK.
    that sounds like me arse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Zyox wrote:

Would a pair of punk trousers suffice?

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Zyox

Would a pair of punk trousers suffice?

That's wannabe proof now :(

Ever since ANarcho-Munk went out to TK-Maxx and got like 8 pairs. One for every day of the week and an extra for PUNK WEDNESDAY cos things can get a bit messy when that rolls around.

I think mutilated P-Tizzies and a JazzHat might suffice. For now...

Advertisement