Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Austrian Resort for late Season?

Options
  • 08-10-2015 12:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭

Haven't got the family (2+2 teenagers) skiing for a few years now, but Easter is early next year so might get out.
    Have done St Johann before twice, and not totally against returning, but not sure if would have snow in late March.
    Any recommendations of what resorts would be snow reliable at that time ( or which I should avoid) ?
    Generally prefer Austria to France, but may also consider Italy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭DoraDelite

Late March would have to be the higher the better! so you are looking at the St Anton/Solden/Hintertux side of Austria, avoid Saalbach/Soll/Zell etc as they are just too low to be guaranteed snow (or anything decent) at that time of year.

Just to add, if you were willing to wait it out and not book anything you could wait and see what snow conditions are like and decide last minute, obviously this could end up an expensive option if it's Easter holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

DoraDelite wrote: »
    Late March would have to be the higher the better! so you are looking at the St Anton/Solden/Hintertux side of Austria, avoid Saalbach/Soll/Zell etc as they are just too low to be guaranteed snow (or anything decent) at that time of year.

Have been to St Anton with a group before, but would consider it too expensive for family (3/4 of whom would be skiing for just the third time, so don't need miles and miles of piste or daring black/ red runs)
    Need to get my head around the geography of Austria a bit more, despite many trips there. Would it be better to book Munich flights, rather than Salzburg then and await forecasts / book resort at short notice?

Obergurgl gets mentioned a bit for a late season ski, I haven't been there myself but might be worth a look? I reckon Memmingen is a bit closer than Munich for that side of Austria and there's taxi services that run from there into a few of the resorts in Austria. I'm flying into there myself in January and heading to Iscghl.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

Was in Mayrhofen last year the week before snowbombing (30March to 3 April approx) and was loads of snow on the mountain, over 90%of lifts open everyday and sunny Apres Ski in t shirts in the valley.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

Advertisement