Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noooooooooo :(

Options
  • 21-11-2015 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭

I fractured my forearm on Tuesday. With the fracture came dislocation of that bone in the elbow. It required surgery to put plate on the fracture and ill be casted up for four to six weeks. Myself, the missus and some friends have a ski trip booked for the first week of February.

I'm gutted, this is our fifth trip and we love going but now there's an obvious question mark over it.

I've partially dislocated the same elbow twice before, last time I was ok in the same amount of time, however with this being time being casted over the elbow I cant work on the muscle range and physio until the fracture has healed/cast is off.

I'm a decent enough intermediate skier but I'm sure ill have a fall or two along the way.

Anyone been in a similar situation? I'm gutted but I'm holding onto some small hope that i might make a really good recovery and with some good strapping/forearm protection I could still ski.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

I wouldn't rule anything out yet. I've broken my fair share of bones (and have countless friends who have done similarly, the joys of racing motocross ha), in general the quicker you can get the cast off the faster your recovery will be. Explain your situation to your doctor, and find yourself a good sports physio who will help progress the recovery also. And yep plenty of padding needed if you make it back, you can get elbow pads for mtbing etc to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

That's a pain, sorry to hear it.
    What about amputation?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

Cormee you're a ledgebag

Op listen to Medical advice and maybe check terms of your travel Insurance to see if you could claim back cost and book later when it's healed better?

Otherwise I would definitely chance it, but i'm in the cormee school of ski junkyism. If you can ski while texting, fiddling with gloves etc then you can ski with a gammy arm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

A few years ago my sister badly broke her humerus 4 weeks before we were due to go skiing. She had a rod put into the bone, a 4 hour surgery and a few screws. She asked her Dr could she ski, he obviously said no. She went anyway. Dr told her when she went back for a check up after that she was a no greater danger of breaking it again than anyone else, but that he obviously couldn't recommend that she could go!! She fell a heap of times as normal and was fine

I once cut ligaments in my foot and had surgery in Mid November. Wasn't allowed to put any weight on it until I got off my crutches, 9 days before I was due to fly to Austria. I spent those 9 days doing as much physio as I could and was fine.

Wait and see what your Dr. says and do all the physio you possibly can once you're out of the cast. All is not lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Well you could cut the cast off... (100% not recommended, this would never happen, especially not in motocross when it happens during the racing season and you need to be back on the bike a week or so sooner ha)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Def Follow medical advice but...

My brother fractured his big toe similar time frames prior to ski trip, had operation + pins, went skiing all was fine apart form he fell and broke his leg on the 2nd or 3rd day!. Another ops more pins. He skipped the next season and went again after that all was good, the pinned bones are stronger then before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I broke a collar bone at the start of February when I had a mid March ski trip booked. Wasn't long out of the sling so the first few days were taken pretty handy around the easy to medium slopes. Surprisingly it made me focus on my technique as I was terrified of a fall, which never came. Confidence followed pretty quickly and I was soon flying around again.

Ultimately I was all the better for it.

Advertisement