Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unusual question about unknown city/village in Ireland

Options
  • 27-10-2014 9:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hello,
    I am looking for a city / village in Ireland.
    Most likely it is a county Leitrim but this is not certain.
    I know a few facts :
    - Are the ruins of the castle which once lived a very unpopular ruler(Lord?) who hanged many of his subjects,
    - The dead were buried in the gardens near castle
    - Near several / a few dozen kilometers from here is also abandoned abbey
    - In the area is water / river / lake

Do you have any types?
    Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,190 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

you Will need to give more information. these details could be matched to many counties. Have a look at Boyle in County Roscommon to begin with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Another Junior Cert project?

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭rainemac

Jamestown, Co. Leitrim? village outside of carrick on shannon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Idle Passerby

That could be anywhere really. Have a look on the OSI maps for places with castle ruins and abbey's in close proximity (that will also be numerous) You'd really need a name or more specific information to pinpoint the location better.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Hypnosia

This place is definitely in Leitrim County.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Hypnosia wrote: »
    Hello,
    I am looking for a city / village in Ireland.
    Most likely it is a county Leitrim but this is not certain.
    I know a few facts :
    - Are the ruins of the castle which once lived a very unpopular ruler(Lord?) who hanged many of his subjects,
    - The dead were buried in the gardens near castle
    - Near several / a few dozen kilometers from here is also abandoned abbey
    - In the area is water / river / lake

Do you have any types?
    Thank you.

You are posting on a History forum and you have not provided that most basic item of historical information - a date. Your post reads like a very bad plot for an even worse novel.
    To answer your question, most landlords were unpopular, few were titled and even fewer were 'Lords.' None could hang their 'subjects' be they 'many' or few because the law would not allow it and it would prosecute the murderer. Neither did ‘subjects' exist in Ireland. There were laws (religious and secular - without the whole 'Established' thing) on burial that applied to and were respected by all; law and custom insisted on churchyard burial - outside of the mass graves of famines – and it would be unheard of to bury a person in a garden. Reality check please Mods.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,190 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Hypnosia wrote: »
    This place is definitely in Leitrim County.

How do you know it definitely is in Leitrim? Bit more background would help. Or is it a "Sunday times" "where was I" type competition you are trying to get us to solve for you? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,828 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Where is this going exactly?

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    How do you know it definitely is in Leitrim? Bit more background would help. Or is it a "Sunday times" "where was I" type competition you are trying to get us to solve for you? :)

No, no it is not Sunday Times competition:-)
    I am from Poland, my friend is from Ireland and we make such puzzles.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

This is not a puzzle forum.

If you are interested in real history, and not a 'Game of Thrones' scenario, then you have come to the right place.

If you are positing an imaginary situation, as far as Ireland is concerned, then perhaps this is not the forum for you.

tac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Where is this going exactly?

Nowhere, friend, absolutely nowhere.

tac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Arsemageddon

There were laws (religious and secular - without the whole 'Established' thing) on burial that applied to and were respected by all; law and custom insisted on churchyard burial - outside of the mass graves of famines – and it would be unheard of to bury a person in a garden. Reality check please Mods.

This is not true.

There were customs for burying the dead, but I'm pretty sure that laws for same where only introduced in the early c19th. I'll check this at home later.

I've worked as an archaeologist for nearly 20 years and have excavated hundreds of skeletons at many different sites. The vast majority of these skeletons date from the medieval or later (the period which I assume the OP was referring to) and have been uncovered at sites that are not located near any known ecclesiastical site.

Its also worth noting that the remains of executed prisoners were not treated with the same respect as others. The bodies were often put on display, mutilated or buried in unconsecrated ground. Skeletons of hanged men have been found in Eyre Square, Galway which has served as a tournament field or park since the medieval period onward.

Thanks.

I have one hint from my Irish friend.
    The evil Lord was Scottish and hanged Irish people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Darth-Vader_6bda9114.jpeg?region=0%2C23%2C1400%2C785&width=768

Maybe I found it.
    Manorhamilton Castle

"‘Hanging Hamilton’
    ...that Hamilton hanged scores of captured Irish rebels, including O’Rourke’s sons..."

Advertisement