Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT - Can I put it back a few months?

Options
  • 16-11-2007 3:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

NCT in car is up in December. The car is old and I don't want to put money into it at this stage. I would, however, like to keep the car for 6 months or so.

Is it possible to arrange a 'late' NCT? ie, supposedly do the test in April/May instead of December? Would the NCT agree to such a request or am I better off not contacting them and just using the car without a valid cert for a few months? Have seen threads where people say guards are not strict about enforcement but it seems a hazy area. As I say, I'd prefer to try and arrange a postponed test but is this possible?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

There won't be a problem with your doing the test in April/May, but the car won't be road legal while the NCT is out. Do you have reason to think that the car won't pass in December? To be honest, i'd be far more worried about the possibility of driving an unsafe car than about being pulled by the Guards.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,965 ✭✭✭✭unkel

What Anan1 said + if you do the NCT in May '08, it will still only be valid until 2 years after it was due, i.e. Dec '09 and not May '10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Anan1 wrote: »
    There won't be a problem with your doing the test in April/May, but the car won't be road legal while the NCT is out. Do you have reason to think that the car won't pass in December? To be honest, i'd be far more worried about the possibility of driving an unsafe car than about being pulled by the Guards.

The NCT does not Guarantee a safe car as has been said time and time again when someone buys a second hand one and it blows up even though its NCT'd for the next year or two.

craichoe wrote: »
    The NCT does not Guarantee a safe car as has been said time and time again when someone buys a second hand one and it blows up even though its NCT'd for the next year or two.
    Of course not. If you take the trouble to read the OP's first post, though, you'll see why I ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 longbrian1

The car is driving fine and not giving any particular problems so I don't feel it's in any way dangerous. That's not to say it would not need work done on it for the NCT - last time I did it, repairs came to around 500 euro or so and it would probably be similar this time. The car is old and barely worth even that so I'd prefer not to cough up that for a car I only intend driving for another 6 months or so.

I'm also aware that the NCT would expire in Dec 2009, not May 2010. That's not an issue as I intend saying farewell to the car next year anyway.

Basically, I'm wondering if I'd be allowed request a postponement or if I should just do nothing and drive away as normal.

• Advertisement

How about just putting the car through and seeing what happens? From what you're saying, it may well pass. Even if it doesn't, you'll have had an examination for less than most garages would charge. You can decide on the basis of that information what to do next. By the way, it'll be a lot easier to sell next year with a valid NCT.

Very unlikely would pass. Was in better nick 2 years ago and still failed on multiple levels. As for re-sale, car is only worth a few hundred anyway.

Has anyone heard of people requesting a delayed NCT?

longbrian1 wrote: »
    Very unlikely would pass. Was in better nick 2 years ago and still failed on multiple levels. As for re-sale, car is only worth a few hundred anyway.
    If you don't think it'll pass then you really have to question whether it's safe. What exactly do you think the problem is/are?
    Not possible. The point of the system is to put cars that won't pass off the roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DannyBuoy

You cant request a delayed NCT, cert will expire on the anniversary reg date regardless, thats written in stone so forget it. But somebody isn't going to stand outside you're door telling you that you have to get the test done now. What you risk is being stopped on the road and being done for not displaying a current nct disc and not having a current nct test in line with, AFAIK, Road Traffic Act 1999.

Ok, thanks for replies everyone.

• Advertisement
Advertisement