Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Does Anyone Drive A Flexi Fuel Car

Options
  • 15-11-2007 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭

i drive a Volvo C30 and find ir fairly hard on the petrol , i am thinking of changing to 1.8 flexi fuel car (C30). Has anyone any experience and do u acrtually save money ?? as well as care for the environment ..

Comments

Hi GusGus. AFAIK you will not save money because your mpg will be much lower, So it really depends on the price of E85 at the pumps. If you drive alot then get a 2nd hand Diesel with a complete service record and that would make more sense, around 60mpg possible and better torque than the 1.8 petrol. And even better you won't have to pay VRT on a 2nd hand car. The diesel new is around €29500 which is a joke for a nicer looking FORD! You will be amazed the kind of car you can get that's 2 or 3 years old. It makes no sense to buy new cars in ireland at all. And I'm always amazed at the amount of people driving basic 1.4 and less petrols because they can't afford to buy bigger more efficent diesels all because they want a new number plate. If they baught 2nd hand thay would get a better car. Anyway if you don't do the miles to justify a diesel consider what a flexi fuel car will deprecieate before you sell it. My guess you will lose alot because diesels hold their value much better!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

GusGus wrote: »
    i drive a Volvo C30 and find ir fairly hard on the petrol , i am thinking of changing to 1.8 flexi fuel car (C30). Has anyone any experience and do u acrtually save money ?? as well as care for the environment ..

As I said in the S40 1.8 vs diesel thread, the Flexi fuel model is over €5,000 cheaper than the diesel. If diesel really worth that much extra when the cheapest flexi fuel model costs €24,500?(the diesel is only a few euro short of €30k). The 1.8 averages 38.7 mpg(27.4 mpg on E85), but AFAIK E85 is a lot cheaper to buy than unleaded. Anyway, the flexi-fuel model has the potential to reduce CO2 emissions by 85% compared to a petrol(incidentally even though the average consumption is 11.3 mpg worse on E85, emissions drop by 5 g/km, from 174 g/km to 169 g/km).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,675 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

In real word driving, the good lady is consistently averaging 8.3 l/100km from the V50 1.8 (non FF). This is backed up from around 600km to a tank (52 litres or there abouts between fills). By my reckogning this works around 33mpg. Her daily commute is 25miles motorway then 15 miles through Dublin, each way.

I've no experience with the Volvo / Ford 1.8 FF engine being run on petrol, but I've driven and had feedback on Saab's Bio-Power engine. One of the new 9-3 1.8T Bio-Powers was showing around 23 l/100km around town. Even re-setting the trip computer doing a steady 65mph on the Motorway only brought it down to 9.5 l/100km. Feedback from driver's with a 9-5 bio-power seems to back this up - even running on standard 95ron unleaded the fuel consumption is appaling.

We have a few drivers in FF Volvo's on the fleet, next time one calls in I'll ask about the fuel consumption.

With all that said, if you want to cut down on your weekly fuel bills I wouldn't recommend switching to the FF. But, if you want to save money overall buy the FF as it somehow feels like you are getting one over on the government!

Also, the FF needs servicing every 10,000km compared to 20,000km for the standard engines.

Advertisement