Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing my trusty Linksys WRT54GS

Options
  • 14-12-2014 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have UPC, and due to limitations on the speed of Wireless-G, I've decided to start looking for an upgrade on my linksys.

Can someone recommend a good one, that I can install Tomato on, or DD-WRT, and that will get me good range and good throughput?

I was looking around and saw that the ASUS range seem to be flavour of the month. specifically the RT-AC68U. It looks a nice router, if a little expensive. Also, I'm not convinced of the built in router software (I think some review mentioned you can't reserve IPs for certain devices when using DHCP), hence why I'd like to be able to install a 3rd party ROM.

I'd prefer to spend around 100 euro as well. That one is pushing 200.

Any recommendations are appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

If you want functionality and customisability check out Mikrotik especially the rb951, huge thread about them here. Not at all for novices, they are an enterprise router used by ISPs.
    http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056718566/22/#post93398716

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

The_B_Man wrote: »
    Hi,

I have UPC, and due to limitations on the speed of Wireless-G, I've decided to start looking for an upgrade on my linksys.

Can someone recommend a good one, that I can install Tomato on, or DD-WRT, and that will get me good range and good throughput?

I was looking around and saw that the ASUS range seem to be flavour of the month. specifically the RT-AC68U. It looks a nice router, if a little expensive. Also, I'm not convinced of the built in router software (I think some review mentioned you can't reserve IPs for certain devices when using DHCP), hence why I'd like to be able to install a 3rd party ROM.

I'd prefer to spend around 100 euro as well. That one is pushing 200.

Any recommendations are appreciated.

Thanks.

I run the RT-N66U at home, which sell for around 120 quid. Same firmware on all their models. I was using DD-WRT but reverted to the stock firmware recently. I find it more useful for what I do with it, basic router/firewall/VPN server.

Signal strenght is really good, on a par with my enterprise access point. Throughput is great with good N and AC adapters(it uses a pre AC version of wifi that is semi compatible). I was using the bonded lines and failover features for a while, which worked surprisingly well for a home device. Very easy to configure as well.

You can reserve IP's via DHCP easily, no idea what that reviewer was up to.

If you want to tinker, go for the microtik. Heard nothing but good things about them.

Advertisement