Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Croke Park

Options
  • 10-07-2014 8:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭

Don't worry this is not about Garth Brooks.
    All this recent talk about Croke Park reminded me of what a college lecturer mentioned in class when it was been redeveloped. now this guy was an old civil engineer who was quite informed about building and the law.
    Anyway he mentioned something about the streets not being able to cope with the emergency traffic an incident in croke park would bring according to the regulations or guidelines that were in place at the time. He also mentioned that a special exemption was granted for Croke Park on these regulations.
    Now this guy was a bit of a wind bag who loved the sound of his own voice so none of the class asked him to elaborate or we would have been there hours later with him still talking.
    So my question is I was just wondering if there is any truth to this at all? Or is there anything at all in the regulations have led to his forming this opinion like a reg that says something should be 50m from the stadium and its only 50.5m or there is somewhere that fire engines don't have a turning circle?
    Or is it all crap?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,075 ✭✭✭mikeecho

That's a question that should be answered by the planning board / City council.

Don't think you'll get an answer here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Paulzx

Technical Guidance Document Part B deals with Fire Safety in the Building Control Act.

Along with various other Regulations and Codes and the Fire Services Act a decision is made whether to grant permission for a building or for an event to be held.

Access for fire servcie vehicles is just one of the many considerations.

You can view most relevant documents here http://www.dublincity.ie/main-menu-services-water-waste-and-environment-dublin-fire-brigade-and-ambulance-service/fire-safety

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Five Lamps

AFAIK there were exemptions granted for Hill 16 in order for it to remain a standing terrace rather than seated.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Afaik there is a pitch access points for fire tenders both at the corner of the Hogan and Nally stands and the corner of the canal end and Cusack stand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Five Lamps

Croke Park can empty itself in a very short space of time - look how fast people exit after a game. I can see where the question arrises - those people would largely be emptied out onto the streets that emergency vehicles would have to use to attend an emergency at the stadium.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭flazio

But the same can be said for every other stadium in the world can it not?

Five Lamps wrote: »
    Croke Park can empty itself in a very short space of time - look how fast people exit after a game. I can see where the question arrises - those people would largely be emptied out onto the streets that emergency vehicles would have to use to attend an emergency at the stadium.

There are plans for incidents in all stadiums broken down to individual stands. There are emergency routes and plans to keep them sterile for safe quick access of emergency vehicles.

Advertisement