Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need some serious advice on repeating..

Options
  • 29-09-2013 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

I did my Leaving Cert last year and missed my first choice course by 10 points after it went up by 5. I got a similar course in another University but can't seem to forgive myself for not getting into my first choice as I had my heart set on it since the beginning and now I'm considering repeating.

I've mulled this over for two weeks but always anticipated being disappointed from the moment I got my results. I find it really hard to accept being here and not where I wanted to be but I don't want to spend my four years here the way I have since August, and regret not achieving my goal, or later, trying to fix what's happened now, while I have the chance. I know a lot of people will think it's a bad idea and not to go back but I really don't see my conscience letting up here and I don't want to make the wrong decision.

Is there anyone who has repeating or is repeating and has any advice? Also can anyone advise me as to the situation with fees etc. for next year if I did drop out? I have registered here and am eligible for a grant from SUSI, but have heard something about dropping out before some date in October?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Go with your heart, life's too short, if that means repeating then go for it, it's only 1 year!!

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭aimzLc2

I did my Leaving Cert last year and missed my first choice course by 10 points after it went up by 5. I got a similar course in another University but can't seem to forgive myself for not getting into my first choice as I had my heart set on it since the beginning and now I'm considering repeating.

I've mulled this over for two weeks but always anticipated being disappointed from the moment I got my results. I find it really hard to accept being here and not where I wanted to be but I don't want to spend my four years here the way I have since August, and regret not achieving my goal, or later, trying to fix what's happened now, while I have the chance. I know a lot of people will think it's a bad idea and not to go back but I really don't see my conscience letting up here and I don't want to make the wrong decision.

Is there anyone who has repeating or is repeating and has any advice? Also can anyone advise me as to the situation with fees etc. for next year if I did drop out? I have registered here and am eligible for a grant from SUSI, but have heard something about dropping out before some date in October?

Just from reading this i feel you are not fully happy in this course , I understand dropping out is not a decision to be taken lightly but you would be far better dropping out now than going through with the 3/4 years and deciding then to do another 3/4 years in a new course after that!

Repeating was the best decision i have made , pm me or comment here if you have any specific repeating questions.

As far as grants etc , i know very little so hopefully someone else will reply here
    but i do know there is a certain date in october that you can drop out by so that you will not need to pay full fees when you start first year in another course ( this is without grants involved) i was nearly sure it was october 1 last year which is tomorrow!! if that is the case you need to ring up your college right now and sort it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭aimzLc2

not sure what college you are in but i just found this on the ucd website
      EU Students eligible for "Free" Fees
      [*]Students who withdraw on or before 1 October 2013 will receive a full refund of any payments made in respect of the Student Contribution Charge or Student Centre Levy, subject to point (1.4) above.
      [*] Students who officially withdraw (see point (1.3) above) from 2 October 2013 to 31 January 2014 inclusive are liable for payment for the portion of the Student Contribution matching the number of modules taken. For most students this will be 50% of the SCC representing 30 credits i.e. half of €2,500. Where students have taken more, or less, credits in the first semester, they will be liable for a proportionate amount. In addition students will also be liable for half the Student levy i.e. half of €208. Free tuition fees will be claimed from the HEA on the same basis. A student will be liable to pay tuition fee for the equivalent period of attendance if s/he registers in any Irish third level institution within the next 5 years.
      [*] Students who officially withdraw (see point (1.3) above) on or after the 1 February 2014 are liable for payment of the full Student Contribution Charge (€2,708) and the Student Centre Levy (€208) i.e. a total of €2,500. Where students have taken more, or less, credits than the standard (e.g. 60 credits in Arts) in the academic year, they will be liable for a proportionate amount. Free tuition fees will be claimed from the HEA on the same basis. A student will be liable to pay tuition fees for the equivalent period of attendance if s/he registers in any Irish third level institution within the next 5 years.

1. Registered Users Posts: 39 STP50

OP what is the course ? it sounds like you got the course you wanted but not in the university you wanted ? is that the case ?

The question is - will the course you have take you to the career you want in any case ?

I understand the disappointment if you do not get the location / college you wanted , but have you made a career change with the current curse ?

What can you change about your approach to the leaving cert to ensure you get 10 more points ?

That is such a fine line on the day it is hard to guarantee an improvement.

2. Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭RedMickeyMouse

Law and Social Justice in UCD was what I wanted, I'm doing an LLB Law degree in Maynooth at the moment but coming closer to dropping out and repeating by the day. I don't particularly like it here and the travelling every week is a bastard.

I always wanted to be in UCD and since like 4th year higher options and that's still not gone away!

3. Advertisement
    4. Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

If you withdraw before the 31st of october, you'll be eligible for free fees again next year.

There was guy in my class who came back in november after a couple months of college and got 615, so it's definitely not too late.

Advertisement