Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Can I change my hands-free cradle

Options
  • 14-11-2007 7:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭

Was just wondering.....I have an old type hands-free kit in my car, (none of your fancy bluetooth jobs) and Im after buying a new Nokia phone so is there any way I can just chance the cradle without having to either put in a bluetooth kit or putting in a whole new handsfree kit??The new phone is a 6100

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Which phone is your current cradle for? If it's one of the cradles for the old 6310i then I don't think it can be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Have a look on www.expansys.ie - I got one there last year to convert from Nokia 3330 to 6230i.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

I had planned on posting a similar question. I bought a car and the cradle is for a nokia but looks like its for a fairly old one. Surely wiring is the same and all that needs to be changed is th cradle itself. The speaker etc is all there.

quarryman wrote: »
    I had planned on posting a similar question. I bought a car and the cradle is for a nokia but looks like its for a fairly old one. Surely wiring is the same and all that needs to be changed is th cradle itself. The speaker etc is all there.

Apparently older Nokia boxes (the bit behind the dash) are not compatible with newer cradles.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,266 ✭✭✭alias no.9

You can get a cable to convert the nokia cark-91, the ubiquitous nokia carkit, to work with any newer nokia pop port phones. Older cark-91 control boxes may not charge the phone but the hands free will work fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Check if the cable unplugs from the bottom of the cradle and if behind the Nokia logo in the centre of the cradle there is a screw, you will need to remove the Nokia logo rubber, Then the cradle can be changed. I changed on recently, although this was because the cradle got damaged and for the same handset.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,675 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

The 6100 and the 6230 use the same phone cradle so the expansys solution above should work. I've seen the adapter to change the 6310 to a 6230 in a good few places.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,915 ✭✭✭✭unkel

How about this?

Looks like it will do the trick. Can anyone confirm before I get one myself? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭quickstitch.ie

Yep, worked grand for me when I had 6230i, no use now tho as I've changed to a 6233 and it's not wide enough to take those. Can be a little finnicky as it's not a perfect click fit, so you'll have to play around with it at times to keep it pressed against all the contacts.... was worth the few quid tho I reckon... they sold them in O'Neills auto electrical in Maynooth was about €45..

Just picked one up in the Nokia store on Anne St. (Dublin CC). €45, works fine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Was just wondering.....I have an old type hands-free kit in my car, (none of your fancy bluetooth jobs) and Im after buying a new Nokia phone so is there any way I can just chance the cradle without having to either put in a bluetooth kit or putting in a whole new handsfree kit??The new phone is a 6100
    i doubt the new phone is a 6100 since that phone hasn't been made for years.

that cark-91 adapter only works with certain phones. OP, take the battery out of your phone and look at the part of the barcode that says model:xxxx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭Bored-Stupid

i doubt the new phone is a 6100 since that phone hasn't been made for years.

that cark-91 adapter only works with certain phones. OP, take the battery out of your phone and look at the part of the barcode that says model:xxxx

Yeah I have a sim card just need a second phone so saw the 6100 on ebay so I bought it,not exactly new....just saw the old model and its the 6210!Any chance guys??

Yeah I have a sim card just need a second phone so saw the 6100 on ebay so I bought it,not exactly new....just saw the old model and its the 6210!Any chance guys??

The adaptor mentioned above (that Unkel bought I reckon) is to change the cradle for a 6210 (or 6310 - just an evolution of the 6210) in to a cradle for the 6100/6230/ quite a few other Nokia Phones.

R.O.R wrote: »
    The adaptor mentioned above (that Unkel bought I reckon) is to change the cradle for a 6210 (or 6310 - just an evolution of the 6210) in to a cradle for the 6100/6230/ quite a few other Nokia Phones.

Indeed. Any of the pop-port generation if I understand it right:

3100, 3200, 6020, 6021, 6100, 6220, 6230, 6230i, 6610, 6610i, 6810, 6820, 6822, 7210, 7250, 7250i

unkel wrote: »
    Indeed. Any of the pop-port generation if I understand it right:

3100, 3200, 6020, 6021, 6100, 6220, 6230, 6230i, 6610, 6610i, 6810, 6820, 6822, 7210, 7250, 7250i

OT I know, but not all the Pop Port phones use the same cradle. From Unkel's list the one i know that doesn't is the 6021 (one of the company phones). That uses a Nokia CR23 cradle which I'm sure Nokia designed to break every 4 weeks. Anyone with that phone doesn't get a Nokia Car kit as it's not worth changing the cradle every 4 weeks.

Thanks for that, R.O.R.

And indeed I doubt Nokia pay much more than about €0.10 to the Chinese manufacturer of the yoke I just bought for €45. I suppose shipping and taxes would bring the grand total landed cost of sale close enough to one euro...

R.O.R wrote: »
    OT I know, but not all the Pop Port phones use the same cradle. From Unkel's list the one i know that doesn't is the 6021 (one of the company phones). That uses a Nokia CR23 cradle which I'm sure Nokia designed to break every 4 weeks. Anyone with that phone doesn't get a Nokia Car kit as it's not worth changing the cradle every 4 weeks.

I've a 6021 (which is a crap phone, btw) and I also have the CR23 cradle. It's never given any trouble except for the fact that it's a total pain in the ar$e to get the phone out of the stupid thing. I'd like to meet the idiot who designed it and beat him around the head with heavy object!

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭It BeeMee

crosstownk wrote: »
    I've a 6021 (which is a crap phone, btw) and I also have the CR23 cradle. It's never given any trouble except for the fact that it's a total pain in the ar$e to get the phone out of the stupid thing. I'd like to meet the idiot who designed it and beat him around the head with heavy object!

You mean the way that, every time you take the phone out of the cradle, you end up recording yourself doing it?

And the CR23 is only designed for the 6020/6021, though I've tried a 6230i in it and it seems to work, at a bit of a squeeze....

Advertisement