Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Media & Public Rleations IT Carlow

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭DO'Carlo/Wex

Hi Olivia!
    Do it! Please! :)

I'm doing it; know someone else doing it too from elsewhere on Social Media.

Have already interacted with course director & a PR Lecturer on the course and was happy enough I'd it down as my 1st Choice for the CAO.

As for IT Carlow it wasn't the Sunday Times IT of the Year for 2014 for nothing I guess!?

I've worked there and went there in a previous life too, all of 15 years ago and the changes have been unreal in that time.

Gym for example is €60 12 Months for students.

Upstairs/Downstairs Restaurants are savage value & nutritional too.

Library/LRC is quare modern but others might say the design is an issue at certain (all?) times of the year from the p.o.v. of it's quite open? There is at least one quiet room (on the ground floor) which is ultimately what a library is supposed be anyway but I digress; I think there now might be a second one upstairs since?

Ask any other questions here & any I can answer I will as will others I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Olivia111

Thanks for the information! :D
    Whats the assignments like on the course do you know?

I am still unsure though tough decision as I have already have accepted a place in IADT for Business which I think I might prefer as I have spent the last year doing a Fetac in Journalism with PR and enjoyed it but career wise I think it is very limiting area to study :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭DO'Carlo/Wex

Out've my depth on this one to reply to you but I'll touch-base with others who're in 2nd/3rd Year; I'm only going into 1st Year myself in Mid-September (the 15th with Registration on the 8th/9th).

Hopefully others on here doing the course will submit some input too mind.

Hopefully more input would be good.

Carlow be much cheaper living wise if I decided to choose there and also be an easier commute for me than Dublin.

I will have to research more about the college and course to see if something will make me more interested in one over the other. Have tilll 25th August to accept Carlow if that is what I choose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 finnywiggins

Hi Olivia!

Big thanks to DO'Carlo/Wex for linking me this thread!

I've completed first year of this course and i'm currently going into second year. I found first year extremely theory-based, there's a lot of essays, presentations and team-work surrounding the theory of Public Relations and Media. There is SOME practical work, but it is very basic (basic presenting in front of the camera and in the radio studio) and the production work you do wouldn't be as intrinsic as the TV and Production course. Bare in mind, first year is an introductory course-it's meant to cover the basics, and that's exactly what it does. I've been told second year is far more hands-on and involves more practical work and experience, fingers crossed it does.
    The modules you take in first year are Social Psychology, Media, PR, Effective Writing and Research, IT, and Management.
    It all depends what you want to do after college though! It really is such a broad course, you can do so much with it after college- you can become a PR agent, a PR consultant, or work within most areas of media.
    Anything else you'd like to know? :)

• Advertisement

Thanks a million for your response :) Has given me information about the course I wouldn't of known otherwise so thanks again :) Gives me something to think about to help me make up my mind! :)

Advertisement