Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any positive reviews of Eircom's eVision?

Options
  • 18-08-2014 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

I'm kinda interested in eVision but I only ever see complaints(mainly on Eircoms customer service forum). I'd just like to know if anybody is having a good experience with the service or even your bad one's too before I make a decision. I'm just finding it hard to find people's experiences with the service other than it not working(is that frequent?) Whats the UI like? Is your BB speed really affected much when eVision is in use? Much down time?

Thanks

murt1987

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

For €10 a month it was good for what it is, although it has recently gone up to €15.

It must be pointed out that quite a few of the channels are available FTA via aerial/dish but then the free options don't have a seamless recording, 7-day EPG and series link which includes both the Irish and UK channels, at least not without a lot of faffing around with customised boxes and plugins.

The channel lineup is pretty limited in general though, particularly if you're coming from Sky. Good in some ways as it gets rid of the clutter and filler channels that plague the Sky guide. There are none of the standard Sky channels, UTV/ITV, and with premium add-ons there are only Sky Sports 1 and 2, although they have all of the Sky Movies.

We've not had a service outage in the 4 odd weeks we've had it, although the box has "hung" a few times, whereby the audio continues on in the background but there's no picture (on both live TV and recordings), a power cycle of the box brings it back.

The EPG can be hit and miss, it's quite slow, and "crashes" quite a lot if you're browsing two or three days in advance - by crash I mean you get a popup along the lines the box can't load the programme listings and you have no choice but to exit the guide. Trying to browse ahead is quite slow also, you can't +/- 24-hours (you can jump ahead days alright, but for some reason if you're at a time before 9pm on a particular day, it only jumps to 9pm that evening rather than going next day...)

Channel changing is fast though, certainly no slower than Sky/UPC.

There is no on-demand although there are placeholders with a "Coming soon" message.

Picture quality is on par with Sky, and SD channels look way better over HDMI on eVision than they ever did with Sky+HD.

What is badly missing though is series stacking option, your recordings are just scattered in order they were recorded, it doesn't group recordings of the same programs together.

Watching TV vs not watching TV doesn't affect broadband speed much, where your broadband speed is hit is in the maximum speed of the line. If your line can normally take e.g. 70Mbps down on its own, with eVision they force sync it at 50Mbps instead, to allow overhead for stability rather than running the line at its limit.

All-in-all, its handy if you really only watch RTÉ/BBC and want recording, or as a cheap box for a back room somewhere, but we're considering taking out a UPC/Sky subscription again to use as our main TV option, mainly because I miss EuroSport, and the Sky Sports 3 and Sky Sports 4 options...

Advertisement