Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

30kw stove

Options
  • 17-08-2014 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

Hi

Last Stove question (hopefully)

We need a large stove to heat 14 - 20 radiators and hot water.

Best one so far seems to be the Green stove 30.

Anyone any experience with these or recommend and other large stoves?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭dathi

make sure you buy a good wheelbarrow to carry all the fuel you will need. wood has 4kwh per kilogram coal has around 8kwh per kilogram and as that stove is 71% efficient you will have to burn 10 kilograms of wood per hour or 5kg coal to out put 30kw from stove

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Latro

Oh the dust you are going to have all over the room from the fuel and ashes.

Solid fuel boiler in the garage/boiler room maybe?

30 KW is massive. Are you sure you need that much?
    To get the most out of solid fuel you need the boiler to run at full power all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭ali123

House has about 25 radiators and is already set up to run a stove as we have just removed a range. We would at least have an open fire going for 6 months of the year even without the stove. Would a stove be much dustier than an open fire?

ali123 wrote: »
    ...Would a stove be much dustier than an open fire?

I wouldn't think so but having it on all day every day might become an issue for some.

Just think of mountain of fuel and ashes that has to be moved in and out of your living room.

But than again it's all relative, right? Hardship for some can be pleasure for others.

A few more questions:

1. We also have oil heating already connected up alongside the range, would we have to keep the stove lighting constantly or just in the evenings?

2. I imagine once the water in the tank is hot it would remain hot for a good while once it it well insulated?

3. The house is very big and obviously will be difficult to heat with a stove alone, our main priority would be to use the fire to heat water. Is it possible to set up the stove to just heat water and not radiators (could just heat these with oil for half an hour in the evening)?

We have our whole sitting room torn out at the moment and need to make a decision on this before putting it back together.

Appreciate any advice.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't use both at the same time as there could be too much heat generated at same time even though your oil will switch off automaticly reaching set temperature.

Just make sure when you use your solid fuel it burns at maximum to make the most out of it with the least amount of sludge in the flue.

Hard to determine how long your water cylinder would stay hot. Well insulated is relative term and it depends a lot on how much hot water would you use and how much "new" cold water is let in.

With 30kw stove you could probably heat your house no problem on its own but as I said before, you'd need wheelbarrows of fuel put into it. See Dathi's reply.
    People don't realize but 30KW is a lot of energy even at 70% efficiency.
    They usually think - I'll get bigger stove just in case and burn it at low power when its too much. That is totally wrong. Your target is to get size of the stove so it can burn at full or near full power.
    It's better to slightly undersize your stove than oversize it.

And yes you can set it up however you want. It's up to installer and your pocket to get it sorted for you.

Thanks for the reply.

I'm now thinking that we could get something smaller and fit thermostatic valves to radiators in less used rooms?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Sanchez83

Hi Ali,

Are you certain you need a 30kw?
    How many radiators do you have exactly?(Singles or doubles)
    Is there a radiator in the room where the stove will be?
    Have you considered zoning your house into 2 sections so you would only need to heat half the radiators at one time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭phobia2011

ali123 wrote: »
    Hi

Last Stove question (hopefully)

We need a large stove to heat 14 - 20 radiators and hot water.

Best one so far seems to be the Green stove 30.

Anyone any experience with these or recommend and other large stoves?

Thanks

I use the Boru Carraig Mor, simple design, great stove. heats my 15 rads and HW easily, sometimes i think i could plumb next doors in aswell;)

As for cleaning, cleaned every day before its lit. if cleaning your stove or fire out is hardship to you, just burn oil...lots of it.

i load up a big fire at the start, once the rads and water are hot all you need to do is keep it tipping over.

Have a total of 27 radiators! Sizes as follows:

H W Number
    400 700 2
    400 800 2
    500 500 3
    500 900 2
    500 1000 2
    500 1100 2
    500 1400 4
    500 1800 1
    500 2000 2
    600 640 1
    600 1100 1
    600 1440 2
    600 1700 1
    700 500 2

The double 500x2000 could be turned off as this would be in the room with the fire.

Also house is already zoned, but would like to heat at least half the rads to keep the damp out of unused rooms.

The room where we are fitting the stove is an open plan kitchen sitting room of approx 37 square meters.

All radiators have temperature dials so maybe we could turn some rads down to 1 or two just to take the chill out and leave the bedroom, bathroom and hall ones on high?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Have a similar number and sizes of rads as yourself and i got a Stratford EB25HE ecoboiler installed earlier in the year. the 25 in the name refers to the kW output to water only so it does up to 25kw to the the boiler and up to 12kw to the room. I emailed the manufacturers to confirm this so its 37kW boiler stove but its smaller than the Carrig Mor.
    A couple of stove suppliers i went to before buying a stove said it was the more efficient model at heating the boiler part due to a better riddling design.
    There are smaller versions too but better to be looking at it than for it?

This will be the first winter we'll have it but did use is quite a bit in the early spring. It heats the DWH as priority and then to one of our two zones which is controlled by a switch in the hot press. So far quite happy with it. Feeding it a combination of turf and wood (mainly turf after lit). Its a big stove so can eat a lot of fuel but all dependent on need. Get it up to temp first and then let it tick over.

The only issue so far is that it smokes quite a lot when you open the door to feed more fuel. A combination of design and using turf, opening the door slowly does help.

Will need to get a decent ash vac also methinks.

Thanks Scruff

Thats very helpful, this is actually the stove which we are leaning towards at the momet as it seems to be possible to turn the heat to the room down quite low so we don't overheat. Regarding the smoking, do you have any vents in the room other than windows and doors. Thinking of adding a vent to our room and just wondering if this might affect the smoke?

Also could you advise where you got yours?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 18,487 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

We have a 30kw stove 30b Hercules.
    We find it great, heats our room (28x15) and 19 rads.

Thing is you don't need a big donkey of a fire bit you can have one if you like.

I find to heat the rads, one decent fire at 5pm and then one top up of fuel does till midnight. Less than a skittle of coal and a few logs does the trick.

Yes you'll have a bit of dust, but hey - you have a real fire !!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

pm sent

• Registered Users Posts: 4 fergi

Hi just wondering if anyone could advised me on the Green Stove 30K which we installed last year, working fantastic, the dial on the bottom of the stove, what is the best setting to have this on, its currently on 5.

Advertisement