Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UPC telephone questions

• 15-08-2014 6:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭

Thinking of getting UPC internet and TV in the house but need their phone upstairs

UPC tell me they will install a point in the sitting room and I can run a phone cable from their router to my upstairs office but this would be very unsightly

I have an existing TV point in sitting room that is coax cable up into the attic from a previous satellite dish.

Is there anyway to run the upc signal up that cable leaving the router/tv box downstairs so I can have phone upstairs?

What about second upc router upstair connected via that able??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

The phone is connected to the router, coax cable is no help unless you put another router in it. However, the cordless phone usually provided by UPC will probably work throughout the house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭donutheadhomer

ardmacha wrote: »
    The phone is connected to the router, coax cable is no help unless you put another router in it. However, the cordless phone usually provided by UPC will probably work throughout the house.

need to use work supplied phone/headset in upstairs office

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,539 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The ATA built in to your router or Horizon box gives you a bog standard RJ11 socket. If you have an existing phone extension upstairs, I presume it is wired to downstairs. Use this wiring.

MYOB wrote: »
    The ATA built in to your router or Horizon box gives you a bog standard RJ11 socket. If you have an existing phone extension upstairs, I presume it is wired to downstairs. Use this wiring.

it is not wired to downstairs - phone comes into attic

If don't get Horizon but something with TV box and a separate modem then you might be able to put the TV box downstairs, plug the coax going upstairs in there and connect the modem upstairs. This would also mean you could plug your computer into the Ethernet for full speed Internet for work purposes.

But others may see a problem with this.

• Advertisement

If don't get Horizon but something with TV box and a separate modem then you might be able to put the TV box downstairs, plug the coax going upstairs in there and connect the modem upstairs. This would also mean you could plug your computer into the Ethernet for full speed Internet for work purposes.

But others may see a problem with this.

problem is its the horizon box I want.........

Well then, if the coax going upstairs is in a conduit, use it to pull up telephone wire and Cat 5 (for Ethernet).

Well then, if the coax going upstairs is in a conduit, use it to pull up telephone wire and Cat 5 (for Ethernet).

not in a conduit and seems to be pinned to the wall but going everywhere and can't be pulled

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Dave..M

problem is its the horizon box I want.........

Order a separate router i.e. Horizon box for TV & separate Router for the BB & phone, think they charge a 'de-consolidation' fee but maybe if you ask nice they will waive it. Obviously In this case the Horizon box operates solely as an STB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

MYOB wrote: »

Just make sure you disconnect the eircom line where it comes into the house though. Just because you don't have an account active doesn't mean there's no power on the line from the exchange. It could in theory damage the UPC box.

• Advertisement

Dave..M wrote: »
    Order a separate router i.e. Horizon box for TV & separate Router for the BB & phone, think they charge a 'de-consolidation' fee but maybe if you ask nice they will waive it. Obviously In this case the Horizon box operates solely as an STB.

E115 for a second box and no movement on it from them.

Try posting in the UPC forum here on Boards the specific proposal for a Horizon box, with modem functionality disabled and separate modem only (not separate box).

Advertisement