Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kirchberg mid March, too low & too late ?

Options
  • 02-07-2014 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

So a bunch of buddies of mine have decided to go to Kirchberg/Kitzbuhel for Paddy's Day next year and are trying to drag me along. Its either booked or in the process of being booked.

Anyway, I'm certainly no expert on these things, but my gut feeling is that its about 3 or 4 weeks too late for decent snow. Just wondering if my fears are well founded or if mid March is generally fine, obviously this year being an exception & particularly bad for snow in Austria ?

Cheers !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭AlternateID

I was in Mayrhonfen in April this year when the tour operators had left and snow was better than it was in January when I was also there. Having said that you really can't predict it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

Russman wrote: »
    Hi all,

So a bunch of buddies of mine have decided to go to Kirchberg/Kitzbuhel for Paddy's Day next year and are trying to drag me along. Its either booked or in the process of being booked.

Anyway, I'm certainly no expert on these things, but my gut feeling is that its about 3 or 4 weeks too late for decent snow. Just wondering if my fears are well founded or if mid March is generally fine, obviously this year being an exception & particularly bad for snow in Austria ?

Cheers !

Mid March is historically the time were most resorts have their deepest snow depts! That said Kirchberg is on the lower end of the spectrum!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Russman

Fattes wrote: »
    Mid March is historically the time were most resorts have their deepest snow depts! That said Kirchberg is on the lower end of the spectrum!

Really ? Wow, I'd no idea that was the case, I assumed Feb for some reason, thanks for that, fair play ! Guess I'll probably sign up with them so !

Really ? Wow, I'd no idea that was the case, I assumed Feb for some reason, thanks for that, fair play ! Guess I'll probably sign up with them so !

Yeah it's basically a accumulation of deposits over the season, then large spring falls. Resorts as a rule don't tend to warm up until mid March so :). Last year was a freak, but shows the benefit of higher resorts that were open until May! And it's looking like this year may be an El Niño!! Here is hoping

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭fannymagee

Hi all,

Cheers !

Go!! You'll have a ball (although very predictably I'm gonna say Soll will be better craic on Paddy's!). You can take a look at my pics from this year if you want an idea of conditions in the locality at that time. This year had particularly bad conditions but for Paddy's weekend we had sunshine, blue skies, plenty of skiing and a massive dump on the 22nd. I love Paddy's weekend on the slopes, sure ya can't beat it. You might even make it to Soll for the parade!! :-)

• Advertisement

Fattes wrote: »
    Yeah it's basically a accumulation of deposits over the season, then large spring falls. Resorts as a rule don't tend to warm up until mid March so :). Last year was a freak, but shows the benefit of higher resorts that were open until May! And it's looking like this year may be an El Niño!! Here is hoping

Never thought of it that way, of the accumulations staying for the season as its "normally" cold enough - I guess we're used to snow coming and being gone in a day or two over here !

Is an el nino a good thing from a "winter in the Alps" point of view then ?

Cheers !

fannymagee wrote: »
    Go!! You'll have a ball (although very predictably I'm gonna say Soll will be better craic on Paddy's!). You can take a look at my pics from this year if you want an idea of conditions in the locality at that time. This year had particularly bad conditions but for Paddy's weekend we had sunshine, blue skies, plenty of skiing and a massive dump on the 22nd. I love Paddy's weekend on the slopes, sure ya can't beat it. You might even make it to Soll for the parade!! :-)

Yeah your photos looked super alright. I'll most likely sign up with them, it'll save me the hassle of choosing somewhere myself ! I'm sure we might well make it over to Soll, from memory its not a million miles away, we travelled there from Westendorf one night a couple of years ago and, again from memory, Kirchberg is only up the road from Westendorf.

Is an el nino a good thing from a "winter in the Alps" point of view then ?

Cheers !

Its mostly a N.American weather pattern so the pacific north west exetra are the biggest winners, but it does impact the gulf stream and European weather.

Its so good it even has its own movie!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpbwh5TWfMw

Advertisement