Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Evision from Eircom

Options
  • 19-03-2014 9:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭

Anyone have this service that would tell us how sharp the reception is and anything else relevant

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 m03et005

Hi Brinimartini,

I got eVision installed yesterday. Very happy overall. Picture quality is excellent, no lag when changing channels or browsing TV guide. Got multi-room installed in kitchen and really like how tidy the set up is - all you need is a plug. Bringing cables through walls meant we had put it off until now. Rock solid so far as regards loss of service etc.

Interface is slick enough. Couple of nice features - e.g. you can turn off channels that you don't subscribe to or watch so you don't have to cycle through them. Takes a little bit of getting use to after SKY for years. Haven't noticed any appreciable hit on speeds when using other devices.

Have essential and experience pack. Had basic sky package. Wife still gets soaps and will catch up on True Detective or whatever on another channel/Netflix, have about nine cartoon channels for little man and I now have Discovery, History channel etc. so see it as good value compared to SKY particularly in a bundle as paying about half for what I'm now getting.

Could have gone down free to air and recorder route but for a tenner a month for the basic service with ability to record, I didn't feel it was worth the hassle.

One caveat, I think I'm lucky in that I get 100mbs speeds with efibre Advanced. I live in a pilot area where Fibre to the Home was installed. This could account for the positive experience so far.

Regards

Cian

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,491 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

m03et005 above is very lucky for having FTTH.

Most people on Eircom eFibre are using slower VDSL and eVision has certain disadvantages in this scenario.

First your broadband speed will be downgraded by about 20% when you sign up to eVison. For example if you currently get 70mb/s, you will be downgraded to 50mb/s when you order eVision.

Also each stream you watch or record uses some bandwidth, 2.5mb/s per stream for SD channels or 10mb/s per stream for HD. So for instance if you recorded one HD channel while watching another, you BB speed would drop to 30mb/s

Now you might not care about that, but just FYI.

Also if you haven't already ordered eFibre, then the cost of it is really €20 per month as Vodafones VDSL is typically €10 per month cheaper then Eircom eFibre.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,300 ✭✭✭✭ted1

bk wrote: »
    m03et005 above is very lucky for having FTTH.

Most people on Eircom eFibre are using slower VDSL and eVision has certain disadvantages in this scenario.

First your broadband speed will be downgraded by about 20% when you sign up to eVison. For example if you currently get 70mb/s, you will be downgraded to 50mb/s when you order eVision.

Also each stream you watch or record uses some bandwidth, 2.5mb/s per stream for SD channels or 10mb/s per stream for HD. So for instance if you recorded one HD channel while watching another, you BB speed would drop to 30mb/s

Now you might not care about that, but just FYI.

Also if you haven't already ordered eFibre, then the cost of it is really €20 per month as Vodafones VDSL is typically €10 per month cheaper then Eircom eFibre.
    That's closer to 30%

• Registered Users Posts: 21 rfallon

The guy from Eircom that I spoke with said that speeds are not effects and that anyone who says so is talking 'nonsense' yet many here say that it does end up that way. Can someone from Eircom definitively say what impact it has? I'm on 50mb but 70mb is possible in my area.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭fasterbetter

hi

I was one of the early adopters of evision back last September so I have 6 months experience with it. Even though I live in dublin because I was 3.5K from the exchange I was getting 2.5Mbps broadband speed which was pretty awful with teenagers and would be heavy users of streaming in the family

As soon as efibre arrived in my area I ordered the Unlimited up to 70M BB and a week later the basic evision package (free for 6 months) and a second room box €5 per month from the start

eircom will put your line on a stable profile when you have efibre and you order evision. so even though my line could take up to 70M they put me on the 50/20 profile and a some stage I went down to 43/15.

In reality it made very little difference to me. I struggle to get over 35M on wifi and the 38/39 or so Meg thats left with 2 SD streams live (I measured it and they take about 2.5M each). I understand a HD stream takes up to 10M but havn't experienced this myself is plenty to have everyone in my family (5 in total) all watching Netflix or streaming television at the same time.

I suppose if you were constantly downloading large files you would notice it being slower than it could be. But coming from 2.5M it was very fast to us.

The evision itself has been excellent with no downtime since September, The channel line out expanded a long the way so hopefully more to come. It doesn't have UTV which could be a problem for some. (I have an apple TV and mirror filmon to it if I want to watch something live on UTV). I think an Irish version of UTV will launch next year. The changing between channels is fast and the picture quality is excellent.

Last week my line got vectoring enabled and I am now on the 85/20 profile (router syncs at 87Mbps almost exactly twice what it was before.).. I said nothing at home about the upgrade and after a few days asked if anyone had noticed a difference... I was a bit surprised when the other members of the family said no....

I had been paying 30 a month to UPC for basic tv package and second room and I was paying 55 for up to 80M broadband. I think i will pay 65 a month now for both when the free trial ends.

So in summary I think if you are getting 40M on efibre and not going for HD you won't notice a whole lot. If you are within 400-500M of the cabinet you should get a significant benefit from vectoring.

FasterBetter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭barrackali

The 2 big problems with evision is the abject Tv lineup and the vastly slower speeds. As I've mentioned previously, I have seen it in action in the neighbours house.....it was pretty poor and the fella just gave back the equipment and left for UPC. I also seen it working in a house with FTTH....this was a lot better, I guess it depends where you live.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭ffocused

I got e vision installed today with efibre. I have a 50mb line with 30mb usable as 20mb is dedicated to e vision.
    Picture is as good as saorview & I have not seen any glitches in the picture yet.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

rfallon wrote: »
    The guy from Eircom that I spoke with said that speeds are not effects and that anyone who says so is talking 'nonsense' yet many here say that it does end up that way. Can someone from Eircom definitively say what impact it has? I'm on 50mb but 70mb is possible in my area.

One of many cases where Eircom sales staff know less than the general public - feel lucky that this is the first time you've encountered it!

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭LastGasp

Hi, We got Eircom basic bundle a few days ago and has generally been good. However on Friday night, and now again tonight there is no TV available, just a message saying weak signal or no signal. The system is operating on Homeplugs, and we have an Eircom Broadband box right outside our gate.

We'll call them tomorrow, but any suggestions ?

Cheers, LastGasp

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

hold down the stand by button to put the box into a deep sleep and then power on. should be ok

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,519 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

We don't drag up old threads. There's a sticky for all things eVision

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement