Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

tearing cylinder while changing immersion

• 17-07-2014 3:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭

A few times lately Iv had to use the 2 foot Stilson to move the old immersion and both without effort either. Now Iv never torn the coller off a tank and I do about 1-2 a week.

Has it ever happened any of you?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,156 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Never tore one off but have seen plenty of older ones leak with the new element. Little pin holes under the collar. New cylinder required then. At least they are getting an insulated cylinder then. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

If someone rips your tank do they pay for a new one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

danjo-xx wrote: »

I wouldn't think so as long as the plumber gives fair warning before starting the work. But thats not a licence for heavy handedness either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

corkgsxr wrote: »
    A few times lately Iv had to use the 2 foot Stilson to move the old immersion and both without effort either. Now Iv never torn the coller off a tank and I do about 1-2 a week.

Has it ever happened any of you?

One time I screwed an immersion out then heard a clink. The whole threaded part sunk to the bottom

Homeowner pays for a new tank.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

I remember years ago tearing a cylinder and making a fine mess with water and financial damage. Got advice from an old school plumber who said never go at them like you be trying to rip a wheel nut. Shock the spanner with a hammer.
    Been using his advice ever since and no casualty, had a couple where the cylinder was starting to twitch and i disconnected the cylinder and took it outdoors filled it up with water and gave it heat and got them. Alot of labour but i feel its the safest way. At least out in the yard it wont make a mess. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Do electricians have enough experience on how to remove the element with least likely hood of damage to the tank.

Or would you be better off getting a plumber to do the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Homeowner pays for a new tank.

Not your fault
    I remember years ago tearing a cylinder and making a fine mess with water and financial damage. Got advice from an old school plumber who said never go at them like you be trying to rip a wheel nut. Shock the spanner with a hammer.
    Been using his advice ever since and no casualty, had a couple where the cylinder was starting to twitch and i disconnected the cylinder and took it outdoors filled it up with water and gave it heat and got them. Alot of labour but i feel its the safest way. At least out in the yard it wont make a mess. :)

I just increase pressure with 18" then move to 24"

Nothing withstands the 24"

Do electricians have enough experience on how to remove the element with least likely hood of damage to the tank.

Plumber every time. (not putting down electricians) If the cylinder needs replacing due to pinholes you'll need a plumber anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

I remember years ago tearing a cylinder and making a fine mess with water and financial damage......

Lidl are doing a wet'n'dry vacuum cleaner this week €85 :

http://www.lidl.ie/cps/rde/SID-60F2F493-130636EB/www_lidl_ie/hs.xsl/Offers.htm?id=222

That + hose = suction nurse, suction :)

jpVeRBS.jpg

• Advertisement

Em if you drained a quarter off surely even if it ripped off you wouldn't get water coming out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭anthonyos

I ripped one the threaded part of the cylinder came away ...but have had a few tiny pinholes but 5hats life

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Egass13

Plumber , electricians are basically lobotomised plumbers . Or semi-skilled to put it technically

Em if you drained a quarter off surely even if it ripped off you wouldn't get water coming out

In my case it was a gold shield dual element cylinder, bottom element gone. The boss told me to leave it full until i get the element slackened off. He said i would take the strength out of the tank if i emptied it. Who was i to question the boss at 17 years of age.
    So away i went with the box type spanner and couldnt get it started, got the brain wave to get a piece of 20mm steel conduit from the van as leverage. The leverage works the **** hit the fan and water was everywhere. The rest is history.
    I may not be a qualified plumber but using a 2 foot stilston to to loosen an immersion is a recipe for disaster. The probability of a tank tearing is quiet high.

In my case it was a gold shield dual element cylinder, bottom element gone. The boss told me to leave it full until i get the element slackened off. He said i would take the strength out of the tank if i emptied it. Who was i to question the boss at 17 years of age.
    So away i went with the box type spanner and couldnt get it started, got the brain wave to get a piece of 20mm steel conduit from the van as leverage. The leverage works the **** hit the fan and water was everywhere. The rest is history.
    I may not be a qualified plumber but using a 2 foot stilston to to loosen an immersion is a recipe for disaster. The probability of a tank tearing is quiet high.

I'd always drain first. I find the stubby immersions always seem handy to open. It's always the top ones are a balls.

What do you do if it won't move?

What do you do if it won't move?

There is more than one way to skin a cat, is a plumber asking an electrician a tip on removing a stubborn immersion?

There is more than one way to skin a cat, is a plumber asking an electrician a tip on removing a stubborn immersion?

I bet he's asking so he'll know what not to do!
    Just kidding. :)

Iv never failed to Change a immersion. Never tore or had one that wouldn't seal after. I must be doing something right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Has anyone ever come across the immersion boss that is held in by two little machined brass screws, a bugger for leaking when they are disturbed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭gdavis

blowtorch often handy for loosening up old flax and bosswhite,providing u don't set hot press on fire !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

I've only changed a few immersion elements, but I've always cut away most of the fiber washer with a junior hacksaw, I don't mind if I go into the brass a little bit on the old element. That should greatly reduce the clamping force, they always come out easy after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 463 ✭✭mylesm

Egass13 wrote: »
    Plumber , electricians are basically lobotomised plumbers . Or semi-skilled to put it technically

Reci registered electrican required under new regs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Egass13

mylesm wrote: »
    Reci registered electrican required under new regs

Took a few weeks , but I finally got a bite ;)
    You don't need to be reci to connect an immersion , only to work on the consumer board .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 463 ✭✭mylesm

Egass13 wrote: »
    Took a few weeks , but I finally got a bite ;)
    You don't need to be reci to connect an immersion , only to work on the consumer board .

Dont think so ;)

http://www.reci.ie/LatestNews/NewsItems/tabid/108/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/22/Restricted-Works-from-1-October-2013.aspx

I am not saying this to be provocative and I didnt respond to you as a bite but the new regs are very restrictive not sure if changing an immersion falls under minor electrical work but you certainly need to be rec to do anything more than minor electrical work not as you say only to work on consumer unit

as with everything here its only when something goes wrong that people find out the insurance implications etc

I'd take it as if you need to do work to the fuse box then you need reci.

Changing a immersion would be like for like minor works

Advertisement