Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cistern overfilling

Options
  • 03-08-2014 1:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭

hi,
    in the past few days our upstairs toilet is overfilling and the water is constantly flowing in the bowl. i opened the lid to look at the stopcock but it seems to be some newer type! i fiddled around with it and the knob on the right seems to control the level (i think). i tightened it first but after flushing it didn't fill up so i loosened it a bit and it seemed to work. but since then i've had to repeat this a few times as the toilet starts up again. any ideas what might be up with it??
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

I had this problem before, but it was a slightly different set up. You need to be able to lower the device, which rises with the water refilling the cistern, so that it creates more upward pressure, sooner, to stop the flow of incoming water. At least, that's how i fixed mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,907 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

The filler valve is on the right in the photo. This is the one that needs to be adjusted. If adjusting it doesn't work then you need a new filler valve

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭bungaro79

thanks lads. it seems to be the one on the right thats the problem alright. is it something i could change myself or would i need to get someone in??

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭darrenheaphy

I have the exact same fill valve but no matter how much I adjust it (whether to close earlier or later) it still pours water in. Any suggestions? Is there something I can do to disable the fill valve temporarily?

I have the exact same fill valve but no matter how much I adjust it (whether to close earlier or later) it still pours water in. Any suggestions? Is there something I can do to disable the fill valve temporarily?

In your case you need a new filler valve. :(

• Advertisement

so i've looked on youtube and it looks straight forward enough (famous last words!) to change the filler valve. i know i have to turn off the water to the toilet, am i right in thinking that it is in the box which the pipe goes into?? and if so is there any easy way to access it??

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭darrenheaphy

You know I had the same problem, I couldn't see where to shut off the water for the toilet so in the end I did some tweaking to the filler valve and it's sorted for now. My pipe, like yours, goes behind the skirting and disappears somewhere. Unlike YouTube videos I couldn't find a nice convenient shut off valve :)

Meantime for the valve (https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/302041/316999.jpg I screwed the thing on the right and it seemed to work (insofar that it not longer continues to fill up once it's reached the cut off point). I also reduced the cut off point (you can adjust the height) to finish earlier.

thanks darren, i might try that but i think my valve is goosed as the bit which floats with the water level seems to be the problem and i have to manually lift it to shut it off.

still can't find anyway to switch off the water by the toilet, do i have to turn the water off outside the house before i change it so??

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭confusedeire

The cistern is fed by the water tank in the attic. You need to shut the valve coming out of the bottom of the tank. You'll know that the correct valve is shut if no water is coming out of your bathroom sink cold tap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭mistress_gi

Yes you can do that or, if you have a tank you can try and switch it off there.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭mistress_gi

Yes you can do that or, if you have a tank you can try and switch it off there, this woild save you having to empty the tank otherwise you have to empty it!

The valve for the cold water coming out of the tank usually isn't found in the attic. Its usually in the hot press. They put it here in case you have to shut off the water in case of an emergency (leak). There will most likely be 2 three quarter inch valves, one for the hot and i for the cold. If unsure shut them all off.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Dice75

Fillvalve mightn't need replacing. Looks like a Shires Sorrento suite to me. The fillvalves are quite tempremental and it could just be a case of some grit inside that is preventing the washer from closing fully to shut off the water fill into the cistern.

thanks guys, will try turning it off there so.

dice the filler valve doesn't seem to rise and cut the water off when it reaches the top, having to manually push it up to stop the water coming out

Advertisement