Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

UPC phone question?

Options
  • 21-08-2014 1:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭

I have the BB, TV and phone with UPC. I want to get the phone out as people are abusing it and the bills are way to high, I rang up today and he made out you can't get it out. He also said if I plug it out at the mains I wont be paying for it as you dont pay for the landline but then I just said people will plug it back in and use it again...I repeatedly said I want it out, as in uninstalled completely but he said you cant do that and then went on and on about different bundles.

So simple question, can I get my phone out or not while just keeping my BB and TV the same?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,327 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

It's a handset or cordless unit plugged into the back of the router or Horizon box, can't you just unplug the phone equipment and lock it away?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

coylemj wrote: »
    It's a handset or cordless unit plugged into the back of the router or Horizon box, can't you just unplug the phone equipment and lock it away?

I dont have a horizon box and from what I hear about them I dont think I want one either.

Im just wondering is it possible to actually get the phone disconnected and be left with just BB and TV, seems ludicrous to not be able.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

I dont have a horizon box and from what I hear about them I dont think I want one either.

Im just wondering is it possible to actually get the phone disconnected and be left with just BB and TV, seems ludicrous to not be able.

Yes. You can get a bundle without phone. In the meantime lock the phone in the cupboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

Yes you can but if its as part of a contract you will probably have to pay a downgrade fee. Ask them to deprovision your phone from your account.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭crustybla

I was on to them about this. We've never even connected a phone though it's part of our bundle. They said to remove the phone from the bundle would put the price up so we kept it as it is. Bundles are a curse. I think it gives them an excuse to charge you and you think you're getting a bargain when really you're not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,327 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

crustybla wrote: »
    I was on to them about this. We've never even connected a phone though it's part of our bundle. They said to remove the phone from the bundle would put the price up so we kept it as it is. Bundles are a curse. I think it gives them an excuse to charge you and you think you're getting a bargain when really you're not.

I agree but there is actually logic behind it. By giving you a phone service it means you will in all probability terminate all of your business with your landline provider whether that's Vodafone or Eircom. That means that you're less likely to drift away by signing up for additional services which that company may offer you in the future. It's basically to lock you down so that you are getting all of your services from UPC which means you're more likely to remain with them for the long haul.

The stock market also likes it when UPC's parent reports that xxx % of their customers have signed up for the so-called 'triple play' bundle of TV, BB and Phone which is today the measure of success for companies in that sector.

Advertisement