Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UPC Contract Completion?

• 15-08-2014 11:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Hey if anyone could shed some light on this I would appreciate it.

I'm currently coming to an end of a 12 month contract with UPC. The last months bill has been paid. I emailed them informing them that I wouldn't be renewing the account and what would the steps be regards disconnection. I am now being told that I am going to have to pay cancellation fee.
    Having read the terms and conditions I'm a little confused.

You can only terminate this agreement during the Minimun Period as specifically detailed in this Agreement,otherwise we may charge you a cancellation charge of up to €200 or a charge consisting of all relevant charges which would have been payable to the end of the minimum period,whichever is the lesser amount. If you want to terminate the written agreement after the Minimum Period, one months written notice is required.

Now 30 days from when I sent my notice actually surpasses the original date of my contract by about 11 days.As in my contract goes up on the 5th Sep and I sent a letter in on the 12th of August. So fair enough if I have to pay for those extra days.

What I can't understand is being told that I have to pay a cancellation fee. Now I know you're suppose to give 30 days notice of cancellation of an agreement, my issue is I'm not cancelling it, I'm simply not renewing my contract. Having paid off my 12 month contract I can't understand why I'm going to be charged for a cancellation fee! If this was half way into the contract, I understand, I don't understand being charged at the end of it, except perhaps , regarding a disconnection fee.

Any insight would be appreciated!

Could a mod kindly move this to Consumer Issues? Didn't mean to post on this forum!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Dave..M

aleyra wrote: »
    Hey if anyone could shed some light on this I would appreciate it.

I'm currently coming to an end of a 12 month contract with UPC. The last months bill has been paid. I emailed them informing them that I wouldn't be renewing the account and what would the steps be regards disconnection. I am now being told that I am going to have to pay cancellation fee.
    Having read the terms and conditions I'm a little confused.

You can only terminate this agreement during the Minimun Period as specifically detailed in this Agreement,otherwise we may charge you a cancellation charge of up to €200 or a charge consisting of all relevant charges which would have been payable to the end of the minimum period,whichever is the lesser amount. If you want to terminate the written agreement after the Minimum Period, one months written notice is required.

Now 30 days from when I sent my notice actually surpasses the original date of my contract by about 11 days.As in my contract goes up on the 5th Sep and I sent a letter in on the 12th of August. So fair enough if I have to pay for those extra days.

What I can't understand is being told that I have to pay a cancellation fee. Now I know you're suppose to give 30 days notice of cancellation of an agreement, my issue is I'm not cancelling it, I'm simply not renewing my contract. Having paid off my 12 month contract I can't understand why I'm going to be charged for a cancellation fee! If this was half way into the contract, I understand, I don't understand being charged at the end of it, except perhaps , regarding a disconnection fee.

Any insight would be appreciated!

Could a mod kindly move this to Consumer Issues? Didn't mean to post on this forum!

Did you upgrade BB speed during the year? That's usually one way they nab people for an extra 12 months . Suggest you post in the Talk to UPC Forum, reps there should be able to help you or at least explain why.

Advertisement