Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Evision

Options
  • 13-06-2014 6:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Envision or not.? I rent out rooms in my house so I was thinking of getting evision just to keep cost down. I know what channels they have, I was wondering about the reliability of evision.?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

Got it there a few weeks ago on the free for a year offer. For the first few days during peak viewing time some programmes were stalling a bit and sticking. Then it went off air overnight and when it came back on theres been no problems whatsoever, so maybe they rectified the problem. Perfect reception etc now so far with no problems. I dont like the menu, sky is much more user friendly but in the short space of time we have it so far its grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Padd25

maggiepip wrote: »
    Got it there a few weeks ago on the free for a year offer. For the first few days during peak viewing time some programmes were stalling a bit and sticking. Then it went off air overnight and when it came back on theres been no problems whatsoever, so maybe they rectified the problem. Perfect reception etc now so far with no problems. I dont like the menu, sky is much more user friendly but in the short space of time we have it so far its grand.

Hi Maggiepip. Did you get the multiroom or HD with that.?

Padd25 wrote: »
    Hi Maggiepip. Did you get the multiroom or HD with that.?

Got multiroom not HD - the multiroom is a fiver a month not included in the free for a year offer. The evision box is very handy too, if you want to change rooms with it just plug it out of the wall and tv and plug into any other spare tv in the house.

Oh one more thing which you might already know, theres no option to tune in ITV or channel 5 etc as extra channels like you can with sky, still for the price I think its fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Padd25

Oh one more thing which you might already know, theres no option to tune in ITV or channel 5 etc as extra channels like you can with sky, still for the price I think its fine.

That's great, Thanks you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Rubbish compared to a Free To Satellite Distribution system + Saorview. Which is a once off cost.

It also likely can't cope with more than one TV unless it's fibre to your building!

A Satellite Dish and Aerial can EASILY feed 8 cheap sat boxes & TVs (Octo LNB). Alternate Quattro based Multiswitch systems are 16 to 2000 rooms!

Once off cost and no sub. Or add a Sky box in one room, or tenant get their own sky box & sub.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Moved to Cable

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

I Have to agree with Watty on this one. My dad has e-vision as it was free but Id set him up with a saorview/Free to air sat combo box which he had been happily using and he never uses the e-vision. Its a relaly small lineup in comparison and no advantage with regards to quality. The only slight downside is the lack of a decent epg which can be got around if your tech savvy but really, its the best option.

Hes using a xoro box from tvtrade. An octo lnb on a sky dish and an aerial with a powered amp/splitter and you're laughing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭jaggiebunnet

I Have to agree with Watty on this one. My dad has e-vision as it was free but Id set him up with a saorview/Free to air sat combo box which he had been happily using and he never uses the e-vision. Its a relaly small lineup in comparison and no advantage with regards to quality. The only slight downside is the lack of a decent epg which can be got around if your tech savvy but really, its the best option.

Hes using a xoro box from tvtrade. An octo lnb on a sky dish and an aerial with a powered amp/splitter and you're laughing.

I have eVision and Saorview/Freesat.

Would agree there is no difference in quality. However what you do get (for a couple of quid) is a single PVR with series link and tv listing. (not to mention access to BT Sports without having to pay sky which is the real reason why I decided to try it out.

Will I keep it after my contract runs out? I don't know. If the channel lineup improves maybe, I got it for BT sports but found that I was missing most matches due to other commitments so what's the point. I do find that I use it more than freesat or saorview, simply because it is all in one control and not 2 or 3.

The only other thing that puts me off it is eircom's customer service which is downright appalling.

Need to update - since I posted all was fine I jinxed it. We have in fact had nothing but trouble from the service over the past couple of months.. Freezing, shutting down, skipping, not recording programmes. In fact I dont seem to be watching much tv anymore :-(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,721 ✭✭✭lertsnim

(not to mention access to BT Sports without having to pay sky which is the real reason why I decided to try it out.

You dont pay Sky on satellite either

Update again as I try to be fair! Evision has settled down brilliantly again and Ive discovered if it does freeze a bit (which has only happened once in the past three weeks) plugging it out for 60 seconds solves the prob. As I say I try to be fair lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,803 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Update again as I try to be fair! Evision has settled down brilliantly again and Ive discovered if it does freeze a bit (which has only happened once in the past three weeks) plugging it out for 60 seconds solves the prob. As I say I try to be fair lol.

I notice the on demand feature has finally been added this week - what are the typical charges for this on rival platforms out of curiosity?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Chris12345

Hi,
    Appreciate some advice. I am thinking of getting eVision from Eircom. We have fibre to the local exchange but only copper to the house so I am unsure if it is a wise move or if my line has the capacity for eVision. I have UPC (MMDS) and it is a great service so I don't want to switch unless it at least as good a service with a good Electronic Programming Guide and such features. Anyone?
    Thanks Chris.

watty wrote: »
    Rubbish compared to a Free To Satellite Distribution system + Saorview. Which is a once off cost.

It also likely can't cope with more than one TV unless it's fibre to your building!

A Satellite Dish and Aerial can EASILY feed 8 cheap sat boxes & TVs (Octo LNB). Alternate Quattro based Multiswitch systems are 16 to 2000 rooms!

Once off cost and no sub. Or add a Sky box in one room, or tenant get their own sky box & sub.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭castle2012

I have it , with copper lines , working perfect , have to say its great value for money to

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Chris12345

Many thanks for this!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

chris to be honest i wouldn't change from upc mmds to evision content wise very little difference.

HOWEVER

what are you paying a month for your upc?

i assume as you are on mmds you cannot get upc phone and broadband?

if however you can get a complete package phone broadband and evision from eircom at a good prce and push hard like getting the experience pack free on top of the basic for a minimum of 12 months go with evision.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭Rosahane

We have the eVision since March. Multi room and the high speed broadband. Had only about three instances where service went iffy which rebooting the router sorted and once where it froze and powering off and on the box sorted.
    Most of the time it has multi room in operation with one or two computers maybe netflix on at the same time.
    It's a subjective opinion but the HD quality seems to be better than Sky.
    We are very happy with it - hugely cheaper with better quality than Sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Doofis

Hi,

Just a note on my experience with evision, I switched from SKY 2 months ago and now regret it big time. Very unreliable hardware, have had my main box replaced and now the replacement is faulty. I also had a multiroom install done 5 weeks ago and this is still not working. I logged a service ticket with eircom at the time but nothing has been done, rang support once a week for updates , got different answer each time, just rang today and was told my ticket we closed as resolved yet the multiroom service is STILL NOT working. Guy on phone had no clue of my issue so I now have to start all over again. Despite the lovely adds on the TV Eircom are simply incapable of delivering a reliable TV service and their Customer Service is appalling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

maybe post your experience on the talk to eircom on boards.ie

• Advertisement
Advertisement