Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Car keys locked in car

• 26-07-2011 9:02pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭

My OH has locked her keys in her car, well the car locked itself with the keys in it. (02 MK IV GTI)

She's insured through 123.ie and is looking to get in contact. The number on the website is leading to their office, which is closed. Then the automated voice says to go onto the website for emergency contact number, which I can't seem to locate.

If anybody has the number or knows how she might be able to get her car open it would be a huge help!

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Who underwrites the policy? 123 is just the broker surely?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,151 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I've done that loads of times. Where's the spare key? Any chance she could get someone to bring it to her?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Just found the number after ringing her to find that out (RSA)! She locked her phone in the car too so even getting in touch was a struggle.
    beertons wrote: »
    I've done that loads of times. Where's the spare key? Any chance she could get someone to bring it to her?

She's only just bought the car privately and as such doesn't have a spare key yet :o... First thing on the list tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Tefral

Royal and Sun Alliance underwrite all of 123.ie policys now.

OP, if you go down the road of smashing a window, make sure you have full cover.

Where is the spare key? you can normally give a locksmith the chassis code and he can make you up a non immob. key which will open the doors for ya.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭dev100

cronin_j wrote: »
    Royal and Sun Alliance underwrite all of 123.ie policys now.

OP, if you go down the road of smashing a window, make sure you have full cover.

Where is the spare key? you can normally give a locksmith the chassis code and he can make you up a non immob. key which will open the doors for ya.

Be nearly as cheap smashing a window esp if you have to get a call out from a locksmith.

• Advertisement

You can ring a locksmith to come out and get ya in. Not sure what they'd charge though. My missus lost her keys, new lock and key cost over 500. So you might be looking at about 150, to get the door open?

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭cup of tea

If your not in a major hurry to get into the car,wait.Ring this number for rsa breakdown services(this applies here,doesn't matter if it's in the driveway or not ''broken down'') 01 8328353.Not sure if it's 24hr but most insurance companies are. They will contact an approved repairer to come out to you and rsa will cover up to 320e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

My OH has locked her keys in her car, well the car locked itself with the keys in it. (02 MK IV GTI)

She's insured through 123.ie and is looking to get in contact. The number on the website is leading to their office, which is closed. Then the automated voice says to go onto the website for emergency contact number, which I can't seem to locate.

If anybody has the number or knows how she might be able to get her car open it would be a huge help!

Thanks!

1 a block through the fly window 2 call an auto glazier or a good mechanic,happened to me got a number from yellow pages by a local lad and cost me 35 euro the window experts wanted 90 euro watch how its done too its quite simple for future ref good luck anyhow

You can ring a locksmith to come out and get ya in. Not sure what they'd charge though. My missus lost her keys, new lock and key cost over 500. So you might be looking at about 150, to get the door open?

Holy sh*t. Maybe I might get her just to smash the window....

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭cup of tea

Also check your motor policy booklet if the number above isn't correct and should be listed somewhere in the breakdown section.I work in insurance btw

• Advertisement

If shes not covered for window insurance, get her to smash a side window not the small fly windows that are behind the back seats to the side, they cost more as they require bonding etc.

Youd be able to get a glass and fit it yourself from a scrappy for one of the wind up windows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

jimmynokia wrote: »
    1 a block through the fly window 2 call an auto glazier or a good mechanic,happened to me got a number from yellow pages by a local lad and cost me 35 euro the window experts wanted 90 euro watch how its done too its quite simple for future ref good luck anyhow
    allegebly that piece of glass can be tricky to get and not necessarily cheaper to replace going on past stories here of keys locked in cars....

Got my policy book out (im with 123) and the emergency assistance number is 01 8328358

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 463 ✭✭dax121

get a metal hanger, take it all apart and stretch it out. then pull back the top of the door a little. and with the hook end stick it in thru the opening of the door. and feed it down to the handle and try catching the door handle. oh it mite be worth turning that hook into a circle and bend it around so it will hold when you get unto the handle its dam awkard and took me nearly a hour to get into my clk when this happened. but worth it in the end :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Holy sh*t. Maybe I might get her just to smash the window....

OP. if she can wait till tomorrow, tell her go to a VW dealer with log book and i.d., and they will give you a key that will open doors only. Not sure what they might charge, but had to get one from Ford about 5 years ago, cost about 10euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

**cough** windscreen cover ** cough**

Got my policy book out (im with 123) and the emergency assistance number is 01 8328358

Thanks very much!

I'll pass on the number when I get back to the house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

langdang wrote: »
    allegebly that piece of glass can be tricky to get and not necessarily cheaper to replace going on past stories here of keys locked in cars....

the fly window is the most common point of entry for car thieves and the easiest available and generally require a screwdriver to remove it and a piece of rope to fix it back in check the yellow pages for local guys in the business or look online,you wont get fleeced

Duiske wrote: »
    OP. if she can wait till tomorrow, tell her go to a VW dealer with log book and i.d., and they will give you a key that will open doors only. Not sure what they might charge, but had to get one from Ford about 5 years ago, cost about 10euro.

No can do. She has no spare key so the car is just stuck outside the apartment :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Dacelonid

Same thing happened to me a few months ago. Rang 123 breakdown assistance and they got a guy out to get me into the car, didn't cost me a cent. Their number is 1800945818

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Scrappychimow

Happened to me before , called a lock smith out , he arrived with some mechanism , slide it down the top of the door and inflated it, so it temporarily pushed the door open enough to fit a wire down to open the door handle.

Saved me smashing the window and only cost 60 quid.

Dacelonid wrote: »
    Same thing happened to me a few months ago. Rang 123 breakdown assistance and they got a guy out to get me into the car, didn't cost me a cent. Their number is 1800945818

Thats travellers insurance number, 123.ie dont deal with them anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Dacelonid

Probably should delete that number from my phone so

Dacelonid wrote: »
    Probably should delete that number from my phone so

if your with 123.ie put in the one i gave earlier its on page 16 of the new policy booklet.

If your still with travellers insurance best keep it:D

Ok so after phoning the breakdown crowd they say that they'll be out first thing in the morning :)

Cheers for the posts guys, really quick and informative!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

**cough** windscreen cover ** cough**

Love it :D

Have to remember that for future "oh f*%k" moments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

DOesn't the Mk4 Golf have a button to unlock the doors at the top of the window switch unit on the drivers door? If so, and if the car doesn't have deadlocks, it should be possible to get a coat hanger in between the door and the frame and down to press the button.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Anan1 wrote: »
    DOesn't the Mk4 Golf have a button to unlock the doors at the top of the window switch unit on the drivers door? If so, and if the car doesn't have deadlocks, it should be possible to get a coat hanger in between the door and the frame and down to press the button.

Yeah should be fairly handy to do that infairness, you'd fit a coat hanger in handy.

I've hard to break into an e200 (through the sunroof tilted with a brush and wrapped around the handle and pulled it, and a Fourtrek, just pulled the top of the door out and hooked the keys out of the ignition). Where there's a will there's a way!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

If it locked itself and the dead locks are active - to be honest the will be unless there is something wrong (the flashing red LED beside door pin means dead locks active) then you could break every window in the car,stick a hanger through every orifice and push the interior central locking button all you want but the doors will not open - its a job for a lock smith.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

jimmynokia wrote: »
    the fly window is the most common point of entry for car thieves and the easiest available and generally require a screwdriver to remove it and a piece of rope to fix it back in check the yellow pages for local guys in the business or look online,you wont get fleeced
    You might be right, or Roverjames and ROR might be right. Fight fight fight...
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=72709884#post72709884

How much did they charge you today?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

tossy wrote: »
    If it locked itself and the dead locks are active - to be honest the will be unless there is something wrong (the flashing red LED beside door pin means dead locks active) then you could break every window in the car,stick a hanger through every orifice and push the interior central locking button all you want but the doors will not open - its a job for a lock smith.

If they broke every window in the car they could just stick their hand in and take the keys out :P

Anan1 wrote: »

We had a crack at this last night but as there was not enough weight behind the hanger the button wouldn't go down. Tried for a solid 90+ minutes :o

The guy this morning had a tool that was able to get at it and hey presto! Well, it wasn't that straight forward. Took him about 15-20 minutes to give it a go with the alarm constantly going off.
    How much did they charge you today?

No charge, it was covered by the insurance thankfully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

That's disgraceful, why don't they deal with them anymore??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

That's disgraceful, why don't they deal with them anymore??

What's disgraceful?*

*I may have trouble with my sarcasm filter today

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

h3000 wrote: »
    What's disgraceful?*

*I may have trouble with my sarcasm filter today

Think about it for a while:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Think about it for a while:D:D

Told you my sarcasm filter was broke ;)