Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT tomorrow - tax out of date

Options
  • 26-07-2011 7:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭

As the title says my nct is tomorrow and my tax is outta date....by a few months...my bad!

Will I fail the test if I don't get a new tax disc in the morning????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Not an issue.

I would be more worried about getting pulled by the law and having your car lifted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

tax disc is not part of the test.
    dont worry

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭hatetherain!

Thanks for replies!!! If I have time will defo get de tax dics tomorrow!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Thanks for replies!!! If I have time will defo get de tax dics tomorrow!!!

If you have the renewal form you can do it online now. At least if you're stopped you can tell them the tax is paid and you're waiting on the disc.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,382 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Yes no checks on any discs at the centre, including insurance discs.

If it's 2 months or more out of date you should keep your best walking shoes in the car you might need them as it can be seized on the spot by the Gardaí :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,034 ✭✭✭✭Esel

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    If you have the renewal form you can do it online now. At least if you're stopped you can tell them the tax is paid and you're waiting on the disc.
    Not when it's more than a month out of date....
    .... my tax is outta date....by a few months...

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

I always found it unusual that tax and insurance discs aren't required to pass the test when the purpose of the test is to ascertain the road worthiness of a vehicle. All be it the test is to ensure legality from a mechanical point of view you'd imagine that administrative legality would be an important factor since technically an uninsured/taxed car is not road worthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

MyKeyG wrote: »
    I always found it unusual that tax and insurance discs aren't required to pass the test when the purpose of the test is to ascertain the road worthiness of a vehicle. All be it the test is to ensure legality from a mechanical point of view you'd imagine that administrative legality would be an important factor since technically an uninsured/taxed car is not road worthy.

the NCT is a test to see if the car is road worthy,
    Its not a test to see if its road legal

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Assuming you havent been using the vehicle and dont intend paying the arrears as the vehicle was off the road perhaps TAX it now. That way when you do an off road decleration no eyebrows will be raised about how your wee car got to the NCT centre. :D

Thanks for the replies everyone.
    The tax office in limerick didn't open until 10.30 this morning and had my nct in ennis, but did manage to get my new tax disc before I got to nct centre.
    My car is now Hightower up on the stand thingy at the nct centre!!!! Hope it passes!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

If that was the case, every garage would have to tax every car they have. A lot of cars will be sitting on forecourts for months just eatign up thousands in motor tax.

pa990 wrote: »
    the NCT is a test to see if the car is road worthy,
    Its not a test to see if its road legal
    Yes I know that, my point is that an uninsured car is hardly road worthy.

If that was the case, every garage would have to tax every car they have. A lot of cars will be sitting on forecourts for months just eatign up thousands in motor tax.
    Well I was thinking more the insurance than the tax.

Yes I know that, my point is that an uninsured car is hardly road worthy.

Insurance has noting to do with it being road worthy. Also I could drive someone else's uninsured car to the nct covered by my insurance so it would have no disc but would still have been insured by my 3rd party extension.

Also someone could bring a car on a trailer to be nct'd for instance. The nct has and should have nothing to do with tax and insurance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭Magic Beans

Get it taxed after the test. Who knows what the test will uncover? Major expensive repairs might be needed that cost more than the car is worth.

Insurance has noting to do with it being road worthy. Also I could drive someone else's uninsured car to the nct covered by my insurance so it would have no disc but would still have been insured by my 3rd party extension.

Also someone could bring a car on a trailer to be nct'd for instance. The nct has and should have nothing to do with tax and insurance.
    Well that's a fair point.

Well, thankfully my car passed the nct!!!
    And because I was so slack in getting my nct and tax done I've just organized my insurance that docent run Out till the middle of august! Never gonna b late with my car stuff again!

Advertisement