Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Water In Boot Leak ( Not tailights)

• 21-08-2014 11:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭

Posting for a friend here : has a rear leak coming somewhere i suspect is where the struts/ hinges are , could also be the bootlid seals , what brand of sealant to use or just normal RTV black stuff ?

car is a 99 civic type r

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

pudzey101 wrote: »
    Posting for a friend here : has a rear leak coming somewhere i suspect is where the struts/ hinges are , could also be the bootlid seals , what brand of sealant to use or just normal RTV black stuff ?

car is a 99 civic type r

Has the car ever been rear ended?

Possibility panels may not be properly aligned?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Has the car ever been rear ended?

Possibility panels may not be properly aligned?

Il have to ask him that tomorrow , plan on hopping into the boot and closing it an pouring water all over and find exactly where it's leaking from then . Can any regular silicone be used to seal ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Are you sure its not the tail lights. The seals are very troublesome on them.

Yeah both where just changed afaik , it's by where the hydraulic struts are near there , but he wants to know what sort of silicone sealant to use .

Yeah both where just changed afaik , it's by where the hydraulic struts are near there , but he wants to know what sort of silicone sealant to use .
    is it the rubber seal that perished there or is it in one of the seams?

tbh Id have someone run a hose over the back with someone else in the boot checking for leaks. I wouldn't trust the seals on the back lamps, the ones on my ej leaked and the only job for them was tiger seal, the boot was perfectly dry afterwards.

• Advertisement

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    is it the rubber seal that perished there or is it in one of the seams?

tbh Id have someone run a hose over the back with someone else in the boot checking for leaks. I wouldn't trust the seals on the back lamps, the ones on my ej leaked and the only job for them was tiger seal, the boot was perfectly dry afterwards.

Will have to try that with em tomorrow , what's tiger seal now? Would be same as silicone sealent ?

Will have to try that with em tomorrow , what's tiger seal now? Would be same as silicone sealent ?
    its the same idea as silicone, just more suited to cars(i wouldn't use silicone on a car) it also sets better and is less rubbery. Any motor factors will have it.

Nice one ! Might even get a tube for myself !! Ok to use on rear light seals , and any other leaks in general yeah ?

Nice one ! Might even get a tube for myself !! Ok to use on rear light seals , and any other leaks in general yeah ?
    Yeah I put it over the seals and it worked a treat. If the lights are leaving in water, take them out put tiger seal around the bolt holes and around the hole where the rear of the light sits into, then bolt them back in and leave the tiger seal to set.

You can use this stuff for any general water leaks as long as it doesn't involve engine or radiator leaks :p. It forms a good bond also and sticks well.

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    Yeah I put it over the seals and it worked a treat. If the lights are leaving in water, take them out put tiger seal around the bolt holes and around the hole where the rear of the light sits into, then bolt them back in and leave the tiger seal to set.

You can use this stuff for any general water leaks as long as it doesn't involve engine or radiator leaks :p. It forms a good bond also and sticks well.

Cheers john must get smelt a tube myself , my dc2 is leaking from the light seals , would of taught normal silicone rtv would've done but this tiger glue seems to be amazing !! Is ok to apply with the gun and work in with rubber gloves yeah ?

• Advertisement

Cheers john must get smelt a tube myself , my dc2 is leaking from the light seals , would of taught normal silicone rtv would've done but this tiger glue seems to be amazing !! Is ok to apply with the gun and work in with rubber gloves yeah ?
    I just put it on with the gun and left the pressure from tightening the lights in do the rest. You only have to put around all the holes is all. Its messy stuff if your working it in, wear gloves anyway as its not the nicest stuff to be cleaning off afterwards if you get some on your hands.

Yeah I get u don't go overboard with it ha ha :) cheers anyway what colur does it come out ? Hopefully black as that's colour of my car :)will def get some of that tomorrow

Yeah I get u don't go overboard with it ha ha :) cheers anyway what colur does it come out ? Hopefully black as that's colour of my car :)will def get some of that tomorrow
    Its black :) you wont see it when it behind the lamps anyway :)

Yeah need a small bit for the boot drain lines too :) basically anywhere I can spot water getting into ha , one me mates said they tiger sealed their engine mounts before so must be some heavy duty stuff lol

Advertisement