Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many 'widebodies' can DUB accomodate?

Options
  • 21-08-2014 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭

Hey All,
    A regular follower of this excellent forum, great to sit back and enjoy the wealth of knowledge and experience the regular posters have for a novice airline enthusiast! Just out of curiosity is there a certIn number of widebody aircraft Dublin can accommodate at any one time due to stand restrictions etc. ? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

It takes some serious checking, and depends on the exact size of the aircraft, the simple answer is yes, not all the stands available can take wide body aircraft, but it's more complex, in that some stands have multiple options depending on the aircraft that are on adjacent stands.

if you go to http://www.iaa.ie/safe_reg/iaip/Frame1.htm, and then select the second line, that will get you an up to date PDF that gives the dimensions available for each stand, and the restrictions on use depending on the usage of the adjacent stands.

There is then also the consideration of the use of contact stands or remote stands, and also the implications of the destination, flights to the States are normally dealt with on T2, as that is where the CBP checks are carried out.

Some of the remote stands are used primarily for parking cargo aircraft, but they can be used for passenger aircraft if there are no contact stands available, subject to the availability of suitable airstairs that can reach to the passenger door height, and coaches to transport the passengers to the terminal.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭man98

Bear in mind most widebodies in DUB are probably cargo.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭BonkeyDonker

man98 wrote: »

Most are pax aircraft - Aer Lingus x 5?/Emirates x 2/Etihad x 2 plus the American/Canadian carriers. There may be one/two wide body cargo movements (DHL is the only one I can think of) on most days, plus the Air France on the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Do any aircraft still get steps/bendy buses?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

DHL daily and AF once a week........vs 6/7 a day for EI, 3 day from the Mid East and another 2-3 a day from the USA carriers.

EDIT: Oops I forgot about the FedEx and I didn't know the StarAir was daily as I am an early shift person and only see it rarely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

Tenger wrote: »
    DHL daily and AF once a week........vs 6/7 a day for EI, 3 day from the Mid East and another 2-3 a day from the USA carriers.
    Just for completeness, add a resident FedEx A300 and morning/evening B767F of Star Air.

8x Aer Lingus (Malaga)
    1x emirates (2 sept)
    2x Etihad
    1x delta
    1x US Airways
    1x rouge
    1x American
    1x Air Transat

757s

3x United
    1x US airways
    1x Aer Lingus
    1x American
    1x Delta

Cargo

Star air 767-200, euro trans A300, fed ex a310/300

Might be more open for correction

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Wicklowleaid

Thanks All, very informative thus far! Certainly feeding my curiosity!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭man98

757s are narrowbody. I presume there's a set number of remote stands, with a few jetways for pax versions?
    I stand corrected on widebodies...

757s are narrowbody. I presume there's a set number of remote stands, with a few jetways for pax versions?
    I stand corrected on widebodies...

That's why I have them separated. Same basic size as an A321.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

I suspect they've all been moved on, it used to get even more interesting in the Summer, when Onur Air used to operate 2 or 3 A300's in on a Sunday, and there was usually a Monarch A300-600 in the mix for at least 2 or 3 rotations a day at weekends, the biggest problem being finding enough steps and high loaders to accommodate them all. There was sometimes a Britannia 767 on a Sunday to Orlando to add to the mix, so never a quiet life on a summer sunday.

Most Sundays, the third Onur Air took at least an hour's delay, due to non availability, which then used to cause the night crews all manner of problems, as it came back again later, so whatever the delay outbound was automatically the minimum delay on the inbound in the evening.

Oh yes, then there was the Icelandic (Air Atlanta) 747 that used to live on the ramp at Dublin for most of the summer, and did flight to places like Lourdes, among others, again usually at weekends and "difficult" times, and was sometimes chartered at short notice to cover another flight that had gone tech.

Another flight that used to cause grief was AV8air, to South Africa, it came in from Manchester, and had to be turned in 45 minutes in order for the crew to have enough hours to get to destination. On a 767, that was tight.

There were occasional L1011 Tristars, and DC10's, just to add to the variety.

The Delta Atlanta flight was an MD-11 in those days, which was a horrible beast to work on because of the APU fumes.

That said the worst flight to handle was the Arkia 757-300, simply because of the extra security and the length of the holds, which meant a very physical job getting the bags from the belt loader to the end of the hold. The next worst were the Spanish 757 student flights, as they were inevitably stuffed to the gills with heavy (often overweight) cases.

The hardest aircraft to load was the Fokker 70, the baggage doors on that were so small, there were several loaders that couldn't be used on that aircraft, as they physically couldn't get through the doorway.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 24,841 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Cargo

Star air 767-200, euro trans A300, fed ex a310/300

Might be more open for correction

no more FedEx A310s based in Europe only 3 A300s based in and doing DUB, MAD and MXP. The rest are 757s. Also as regards Cargo widebody's adhoc and scheduled their is the MD11 money flight operated by the Italian outfit (name escapes me) and the AF 777 / 747. Cargo airlines at DUB are not foremost in the minds of the powers that be either in terms of attracting new business or facilitating existing operators. We will park you anywhere and you will make do is the attitude. Never mind the fact that you shift millions on tonnes per year of essential time sensitive goods of exports that the country depends on.. then again boxes dont talk as the saying goes and if in DUB you aint painted green...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

An excellent pic of T2 from one of our regular posters.
    Shows T2 during just before the early morning longhaul departure wave.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/eigjb/15042419145/

Visible are 6 widebodies, 3x B757's, 3x A320 family. Also in shot is a 4th EI A330 over on Pier B.

You can see how full it is at (admittedly) the busy widebody time. Looks similar at 1400-1600 with the late departures to USA from EI and EK/EY departures.

In the lower right you can see how 1 stand can accommodate 2 x B757's instead of 1 widebody. Shows the flexibility of the parking system.

(To clarify, NOT my photo...credit to N7777G for it)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

I remember lots of bleating from some users about how terminal 2 was "too big" and a "waste of money".

they seem to be rather quiet these days ;)

Advertisement