Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building supplies

Options
  • 17-08-2014 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭

Renovating the house and needed alot of insulated plasterboard. Dublin prices were crazy. Done a deal with www.buildwithme.ie for 38mm insulated board for €21.99 inc. vat. Delivered free and dropped the pallet over my front wall in to the garden. They have all other building materials on their site also. I need other stuff so will be trying them for best price as our development proceeds.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

You forgot to mention that you are in no way associated with this company ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭CGI_3

I had a look. Dublin shipping price of €24.60, rest of the country is €49.20. And, they use Hicall 0818 numbers...

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Jimfo1970

degsie wrote: »
    You forgot to mention that you are in no way associated with this company ;)

Correct and right. No association with them at all. Saw them here :

http://www.donedeal.ie/buildingmaterials-for-sale/platinum-insulated-plasterboard/7436690

and bargained him down some more. I was buying a big quantity of sheets though.

CGI_3 wrote: »
    I had a look. Dublin shipping price of €24.60, rest of the country is €49.20. And, they use Hicall 0818 numbers...

All I know is I paid €21.99 for 100 sheets. I only rang him once on the 0818 number which I thought was a local call rate. I contacted them after that on 085-8040801. The owners name is Peter. My order was over €400 so there was no delivery charge applied. It was Free Delivery to Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

CGI_3 wrote: »

0818 are charged at a national rate and come out of bundles in many packages..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭A Law

If they're based in roscrea why is shipping to Dublin cheaper than say laois?

If they're based in roscrea why is shipping to Dublin cheaper than say laois?

It was the Dublin manufacturer of the insulated boards that dropped them off in my front garden so I supose it makes sense if they are made in Dublin to deliver them direct rather than bringing them to Roscrea and then back to Dublin again. I was told they would be delivered around 9am that day and the truck arrived at exactly 9am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

Sounds good, is platinum graphited EPS or it is it polyiso?

moodrater wrote: »
    Sounds good, is platinum graphited EPS or it is it polyiso?

They were Platinum boards I got. A few people including the guy in buildwithme.ie (his name is PJ not Peter as previously stated) told me to go for these.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭The Gride

Thanks OP.

Ordered 30 rolls of 6inch Fibreglass at €14.50 a roll inc. vat from www.buildwithme.ie. Cheapest anywhere was €19.50 inc vat and Woodies were around €24.00 for the same roll and my brother works in a local hardware shop and had tried everywhere for me. It's a great deal. It's a saving of almost €150 on the 30 rolls. Hope there's no catch or hidden charges.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Good stuff. Getting a mancave (concrete shed) built and will be doing the insulating etc myself.

OP, what size are the boards? The site doesn't seem to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Glenalla

What square footage or meterage does each roll cover?
    Thanks

Saruman wrote: »
    Good stuff. Getting a mancave (concrete shed) built and will be doing the insulating etc myself.

OP, what size are the boards? The site doesn't seem to say.

Standard 8ft X 4ft sheets.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭Tefral

Working as a QS, I had a look at that site. I can say some of the stuff on there is very close to what trade would get it for!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

I'd be very interested to know if the delivery is prompt, and if all the stock is brand new.

@Jimfo1970- I would say that platinum is a lesser product than any of the polyiso (quinn, kingspan, etc), no matter what PJ has said. However if it's 100% suitable for your purpose then it's a pretty good deal.

@The Gride- Out of curiosity is it fiberglass, earthwool or rockwool that you bought? Do you know the size of the rolls in sqm? Just for your own knowledge, earthwool has now changed to a roll size of 5.58sqm for 150mm. Rockwool is 4.38sqm for the same thickness.

foxerv1 wrote: »
    @Jimfo1970- I would say that platinum is a lesser product than any of the polyiso (quinn, kingspan, etc), no matter what PJ has said. However if it's 100% suitable for your purpose then it's a pretty good deal.

Platinum is graphited eps so lambda is probably 0.31 versus 0.22 for polyiso. Big difference if you have little little or no insulation. But if your cavity is already insulated its diminishing returns. Still I hate eps and would go for 52mm+ or polyiso. Alhtough new research says polyiso performs badly in cold conditions where the trapped propellant codenses.
    Just for your own knowledge, earthwool has now changed to a roll size of 5.58sqm for 150mm. Rockwool is 4.38sqm for the same thickness.

Earthwool is glasswool ****e though.

Platinum is graphited eps so lambda is probably 0.31 versus 0.22 for polyiso. Big difference if you have little little or no insulation. But if your cavity is already insulated its diminishing returns. Still I hate eps and would go for 52mm+ or polyiso. Alhtough new research says polyiso performs badly in cold conditions where the trapped propellant codenses.

I have read that research, some interesting findings given how 70% of new builds in the las 15 or so years were insulated with polyiso. And i'll completely agree that it is on paper better for heat retention. However, i do not believe this person/company to be selling the graphited aeroboard as it is now offered from Kingspan. I am given to believe that he is still selling Aerodorm branded materials, which should be off the market now. This is where a polyiso product, for instance, quinn-therm, would be a superior product, as it has a greater u value in a 38mm board vs the older aeroboard product.

SOURCE & DISCLAIMER: The base of operations for the company involved is approximately 20 miles from where the company i work for is based, my boss has done his research. Also i have no affiliation to Quinn-Therm other than we stock their products. As an aside we also deal with Xtratherm and Kingspan.

Earthwool is glasswool ****e though.

I'd hardly refer to it as s***e, mineral wool is a vastly superior product to fibreglass, my concern again is that people aren't being shafted by believing they are buying something they aren't.

I'd be very interested to know if the delivery is prompt, and if all the stock is brand new.

@The Gride- Out of curiosity is it fiberglass, earthwool or rockwool that you bought? Do you know the size of the rolls in sqm? Just for your own knowledge, earthwool has now changed to a roll size of 5.58sqm for 150mm. Rockwool is 4.38sqm for the same thickness.

Hi, I am not very technical but this is what I got :

Superglass Fibreglass 6inch covering 6.99 mtr sq per roll. Delivery in less than 24 hrs so that was very good. The rolls were on a pallet with pallet wrap as if they came direct from production.

The Gride wrote: »
    Hi, I am not very technical but this is what I got :

Superglass Fibreglass 6inch covering 6.99 mtr sq per roll. Delivery in less than 24 hrs so that was very good. The rolls were on a pallet with pallet wrap as if they came direct from production.

By any chance is it a kind of greeny colour? Or a pale ish kind of yellow (as sold in the UK)

I'd hardly refer to it as s***e, mineral wool is a vastly superior product to fibreglass, my concern again is that people aren't being shafted by believing they are buying something they aren't.

Well is is a lot better than glass but i find it dusty itchy and difficult to cut accurately like glasswool and some rolls the layers don't seperate. Rockwool is much nicer, measure, cut, roll, done.

• Advertisement

Well is is a lot better than glass but i find it dusty itchy and difficult to cut accurately like glasswool and some rolls the layers don't seperate. Rockwool is much nicer, measure, cut, roll, done.

I'm not sure what kind of earthwool you have used, but this is the product i'm referring to. And while i'd agree that rockwool is a fantastic product, that's only due to it being a better acoustic insulation, as far as insulating an attic or such goes, it's a draw. Ecose wins on price too every time. Bigger rolls as well.

EDIT- At the end of they day, i'm not trying to tell anyone their business, and i sincerely hope it doesn't come across that way. I really am just trying to pass on nearly a decades worth of involvement in the building industry, in retail, where it is my job to help and advise to the best of my ability.

Does anybody know if Rooflite is as good as Velux or any good at all. I need two of them ( 55cm X 98cm) Velux is coming in at cheapest €253 but rooflite from same buildwithme.ie is €209.99. Just looking for any heads up on quality issues if any with Rooflite.

By any chance is it a kind of greeny colour? Or a pale ish kind of yellow (as sold in the UK)

Apologies I did not see your question.

No, it's yellow in colour.

Does anybody know if Rooflite is as good as Velux or any good at all. I need two of them ( 55cm X 98cm) Velux is coming in at cheapest €253 but rooflite from same buildwithme.ie is €209.99. Just looking for any heads up on quality issues if any with Rooflite.

I would say yes.....and no. As far as i'm aware, it's quite difficult to get after sales support. However, as a window, they are regarded as quite good. Again, we don't actually deal with them but i have come across them from time to time.

Have you tried Keylite? After sales support is fantastic (if parts are needed, or a blind for example), very quick turnaround and the rep is top dollar. Usually work out around 15-20% cheaper than velux too, which is always nice.

If you want, i could give you a rough idea of price tomorrow which could help you decide? Would just need to know if it is tiles or slates, and top hung or centre pivot.

DISCLAIMER: I am not trying to make a sale, i am only trying to offer up an alternative product that can be bought around the country, and to inform of what expected price could be.

Apologies I did not see your question.

No, it's yellow in colour.

Ah yes, yellow superglass. How i loath thee, itchy stuff. Not bad for €14.50 it has to be said, although truth be told you probably should have been able to get Ecose for similiar money, smaller roll but a better product. That being said, superglass isn't a hundred miles away from it, so again, good buy. Wear gloves, long sleeves and a dust mask would be my best advice.

@foxerv1

This might be a silly question but the fitter told me that Velux make Rooflite ? Do they ?

@foxerv1

This might be a silly question but the fitter told me that Velux make Rooflite ? Do they ?

That's actually a good question, i'm not 100% sure- this day and age it's almost impossible to know who owns whom. It's quite possible Velux are a parent company, or Rooflite are a subsidiary or some such. Honest answer is i don't know. On inspection i see Rooflite are based in Hungary, and they look very similiar to Fakro? Could be that is who owns whom or is part of who or what have you :D

As an aside, Fakro are a damned good window too, and they look very nice from the inside, and afair they are guaranteed knot free? Tradecraft are the importer there so if you are shopping anywhere that deals in Dolle Attic Ladders, they can get Fakro.

That's actually a good question, i'm not 100% sure- this day and age it's almost impossible to know who owns whom. It's quite possible Velux are a parent company, or Rooflite are a subsidiary or some such. Honest answer is i don't know. On inspection i see Rooflite are based in Hungary, and they look very similiar to Fakro? Could be that is who owns whom or is part of who or what have you :D

As an aside, Fakro are a damned good window too, and they look very nice from the inside, and afair they are guaranteed knot free? Tradecraft are the importer there so if you are shopping anywhere that deals in Dolle Attic Ladders, they can get Fakro.

Thanks for your help. My god, all these different brands, its very confusing. I was on to a few of the big hardware names like Brooks and so on today. They were no where near the price of buildwithme.ie for the same attic window products by name. At the minute I have to really watch my budget or I will run out of money and not be able to complete so I might have to go with Rooflite unless I can get a different brand of good qualityfor less.

Thanks for your help. My god, all these different brands, its very confusing. I was on to a few of the big hardware names like Brooks and so on today. They were no where near the price of buildwithme.ie for the same attic window products by name. At the minute I have to really watch my budget or I will run out of money and not be able to complete so I might have to go with Rooflite unless I can get a different brand of good qualityfor less.

I'll PM you tomorrow with a price for a keylite, give you some idea at least, i'm sure you're aware but that €209.99 is excluding the flashing. Is it tiles or slates?

• Advertisement

I'll PM you tomorrow with a price for a keylite, give you some idea at least, i'm sure you're aware but that €209.99 is excluding the flashing. Is it tiles or slates?

Hi foxerv1

I did not receive a pm from you today but don't worry as I ordered the Rooflite ones from www.buildwithme.ie

I asked a few guys about them and did not hear anything negitive so I went ahead with them. Thanks anyways for your info.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement