Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting into NMCI

Options
  • 09-08-2014 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭

I know there are a few threads with the same topic around here and posting in the CIT forum is useless .. I was wondering if anyone could answer me some questions on getting into NMCI/joining the nautical trade. My number one worry would be passing the medical test. How fit do you have to be? Im average height, but I would consider my self over weight according to my BMI anyways. Also would scars/ not proper functioning fingers hold me back from any course or getting a job later on? because one of my index fingers only flexes half ways and i have a variety of scars on me arms. Just that stuff worries me about getting into NMCI and even if i do im worried that down the line companies wont hire me due to these things .. I hear some are very strict. Sorry if I posted in the wrong forum or if I sound silly but its hard to wrap my mind around what course I want to pick

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭jamesdiver

What area are you looking to get into? This will determine the medical you need to do.

The ENG11 and OGUK are not too bad, but any physical disability may be flagged during your sea survival courses if you can't for example flip over the liferaft or put your nose clip on during HUET. But if its only one index finger you will probably be fine.

Scars no problem, just wear long sleeve shirts if you're self conscious.

There is talk of a weight restriction in the North Sea now due to worries about evacuating from the helo. I haven't worked in the NS myself so cant really comment.

Probably best thing would be to get in touch with the NMCI or go to their open day and ask the questions directly. I'm sure they'd be happy to point you in the right direction.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

The medical is mainly related to things that put you in trouble miles from medical assistance; epilepsy, diabetes, heart conditions etc. etc. They don't want you falling over dead when you're on watch (engine control room or bridge) and captains hate doing paperwork for that kind of stuff. Colour-blindness is the other big no-no for obvious reasons too.

You'll meet some rough and ready blokes that live a hard life at sea and ashore, so I wouldn't put too much stress on passing the medical.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Hey Yall

Id be looking at both areas .. officer and engineer .. not sure which one though. I mean my BMI is round the 30 area and i have no issues with my scars its just that i dont want that to ruin my chances of getting a job later on. Ive been working out pretty well the last few months and i wouldnt say im not fit but i wouldnt be at the normal fitness levels others might be at. Also could anyone tell me is it easy getting a company to sponsor you and as well as life down in ringaskiddy seeing as i would be moving there? ive been to the college on the open day and plan on going again in a few months

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

If you work hard (genuinely, hit the books every night) and get very good or excellent grades and show real enthusiasm then you should have no problems getting a sponsor company. It was the people who did worst academically that struggled to get a decent company when I went through that process.

If you're going deck side (and you'll have to make up your mind one way or the other), then I'd highly recommend getting a book on the rules of the road (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Seamans-Guide-Rule-Road/dp/0948254580) and start on that already. A bit of coastal nav to get familiar with using charts etc. wouldn't be a bad idea either.

When do the companies come round btw? i plan on taking it seriously and doing well and all but i know a few people who wouldnt have understood half the stuff they teach on the course yet still get jobs at big companies like carnival. Do companies pick up people every year or is it a periodic thing?

• Advertisement

Every year. I don't know if it still happens, but after Christmas was normal in my time. That way they saw the christmas exam results and the lecturers had an idea of who was shaping up to be the better candidates.

Oh thats not bad .. if you get sponsored by a company do they just pay your tuition fees or do they pay you a normal wage too when your at college and not working for them on experience ?

They pay you wages for second year (at sea) and third year (ashore), the first year is all yours to fund. Things may have changed now however (for the worse and not the better I'd imagine).

No from what you have told most of the info seems to match up with what I have heard. So it boils down to Deck vs Engine I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

The deck has most of the second year at sea afaik, the engineers have 3 years in college, I didn't have enough points for deck officer so I tried engineering, I really struggled with Thermodynamics, physics, and general maths and eventually dropped out, it's tough going considering the leaving cert points requirement that year were 200 for engineering!
    If you are half decent at maths you should be ok in engineering, I got a bit pissed off spending 3 years in a classroom so you have a piece of paper saying you are an engineer but may have never been on a ship! The time at sea I imagine would help the deck officers,
    The Engineer seems to have better prospects of getting a job onshore though,

• Advertisement

bladebrew .. I think the engineers have so mandatory work experience too dont they? in year 2 I think ? or is that a new thing
    Edit: Yes once you complete year 2 you have madatory work experience for 9 months

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 airbuspilot

What is nmci like. Are the lecturers good. What topics are covered in nautical science. Thanks

I havn't done a course there yet but I would suggest going down there on the next open day which is likely to be in October. I went last year and it was and incredible place and they showed some features of the college. The lecturers have worked out at sea so they are very experienced in that field. In Nautical science a lot of it is to do with navigating and figuring out how to navigate using maps etc. Theres also classes in stuff like health and safety, fires etc. I havnt gotten into the college yet just speaking on the info I have gathered over time so if anyone has more accurate info or wants to correct me please do so :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

Hey Yall wrote: »
    bladebrew .. I think the engineers have so mandatory work experience too dont they? in year 2 I think ? or is that a new thing
    Edit: Yes once you complete year 2 you have madatory work experience for 9 months

Oh crap sorry! My information is a long way out of date! I do think that is a good thing though as 3 years in class with no work experience seemed a bit much,
    If you did any metalwork in school this will help aswell, I had no experience like this from school so I struggled with workshop!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

My nephew quailfied as an engineer about three years ago, did'nt do any mandatory work at sea, went straight to a job with a cruise company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

roundymac wrote: »
    My nephew quailfied as an engineer about three years ago, did'nt do any mandatory work at sea, went straight to a job with a cruise company.

....who give him his nine months sea time he needs to qualify as an Engineer of the Watch.

Engine or Deck, you have to have sea time to qualify. 9 months for the engineers, 12 for the Deck in an apprentice style role

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

LiamoSail wrote: »
    ....who give him his nine months sea time he needs to qualify as an Engineer of the Watch.

Engine or Deck, you have to have sea time to qualify. 9 months for the engineers, 12 for the Deck in an apprentice style role

Just to make this point clearer for future readers - for the engineers; you will graduate from college with a regular college qualification

then

go do 9 months sea time (Cadetship) before you return to sit your Class 4 exams (known as the Class 4 ticket). Only after passing the Class 4 will you be able to work at sea as an engineer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

What may be putting me off is the fact that he' did'nt stay at sea long, had to come ashore for health reasons, so I may have given the wrong impression when I said he qualified.

Advertisement