Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NCT question

• 17-07-2011 9:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 659 ✭✭✭

Please forgive me if this is a stupid question.

I have a 06-D car which I've owned for the last 3 years. The car has not had an NCT done yet, and I have not been informed by anyone that an NCT is due.

So my question is do I have to organise the NCT myself, or will I be informed that an NCT is due. (I'm assuming I'll have to get an NCT ... the car is 06 ... am I correct)?

Thanks in advance ... ToadV

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Your NCT was due on the cars fourth birthday, so last year. You have to contact the NCTS yourself to arrange it. I'd do it now, the penalty can be quite severe if you're caught driving without one. The NCT will be valid for two years from the due date. What month in 2006 was the car first registered?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,710 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

What Anan1 said. If the car was first registered in January '06 then if you pass the NCT tomorrow, it will only be valid until January '12

Fine for non-NCT is €1,500 and 5 penalty points

Best try and book it in online now - you'll probably get a slot in the next few days. If you are still driving the car, print out your NCT appointment confirmation and hope to feck you'll get a friendly Garda if you get stopped :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 659 ✭✭✭ToadVine

unkel wrote: »
    What Anan1 said. If the car was first registered in January '06 then if you pass the NCT tomorrow, it will only be valid until January '12

Fine for non-NCT is €1,500 and 5 penalty points

Best try and book it in online now - you'll probably get a slot in the next few days. If you are still driving the car, print out your NCT appointment confirmation and hope to feck you'll get a friendly Garda if you get stopped :)

Thanks lads.

I'm guessing the website is NCT.ie?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,289 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The NCT centre do not send out reminders anymore and have not do so for some time. It's the registered owner's responsibility to know when the NCT is due on their vehicle and to arrange an appointment to have it tested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,710 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

ToadVine wrote: »
    I'm guessing the website is NCT.ie?

ncts.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

unkel wrote: »

My NCT is up so tried booking one online just now in either Greenhills or Fonthill, online system is not showing any available date until 15th Sept with limited day time slots, crazy. Will try ringing them in the morning instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

They get loads of cancellations, if your flexible you can grab one probably this week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,428 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

My NCT is up so tried booking one online just now in either Greenhills or Fonthill, online system is not showing any available date until 15th Sept with limited day time slots, crazy. Will try ringing them in the morning instead.

Try Northpoint and Deansgrange, I find they usually have more available bookings.

Try Northpoint and Deansgrange, I find they usually have more available bookings.

Thanks, Deansgrange not showing any availability until 23rd Sept and Northpoint not until 6th Sept. Neither location are ideal in terms of convenience for me but bit pointless having an online system at all if available slots have to be booked 2 months in advance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,428 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Thanks, Deansgrange not showing any availability until 23rd Sept and Northpoint not until 6th Sept. Neither location are ideal in terms of convenience for me but bit pointless having an online system at all if available slots have to be booked 2 months in advance.

Yes I think there's a certain day of the week where they upload the available times and if you get online on that day there's plenty of capacity, give them a call and they usually have cancellations, sometimes on the day you call.

• Advertisement

What a joke of a system, rang the NCT centre just now and the earliest time they can give me for either Greenhills or Fonthill is Sept 13th. No evening slots after 18:00 available at any stage over the next 3 months so along with having to wait nearly 2 months for the NCT I'm also expected to take time off work to get it done.
    When I queried why there was such a long wait and a lack of suitable times I was told that there are too much cars in Dublin for the number of available test centers. When I asked about possible cancellation I was told I could check if any new slots before available each day online or else I could ring back each day. Terrible service for which you have to legally pay for.
    Rant over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Terrible service for which you have to legally pay for.
    Except that you don't. ;)

From their customer charter:
    4. Ensure that the average leadtime for an appointment at an individual test centre is less than three weeks with a free test if this is greater than four weeks [my emphasis].

Advertisement