Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best speaker of this election?

Options
  • 23-02-2011 2:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Hi All,

Just wondering who you thought has been the best public speaker of this election?

Outside of your party favourite - who do you think showed the best speaking style in their mannerisms and ability to properly communicate their message when addressing an audience?

(Whether you loved or loathed the message)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭paul71

Of the party leaders Micheal Martin, then Adams, then Gilmore, then Kenny.

Funny thing is I would vote for them in the exact reverse order.

Put the best speaker in the election is non party, Eddie Hobbs, again don't agree with all he has to say, but what he says is direct, to the point and easy to understand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Public Speaking Ireland

Agreed - Michael Martin is a good speaker - when Gilmore gets going on a really strong point - he can give it wellie, but it's a rarity...

Non-party leaders - Brian Lenihan (again, am with you, don't agree with the words) - but he has a really articulate and clear voice when speaking...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Joan Burton

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 grahmkeatley

Michael Martin is the 'best' public speaker, in terms of his ability to dominate, direct and structure open discussion. But I have found Gormley to be the 'best' in terms of speaking with clarity and confidence.

-Graham

Joan Burton

Really?

I don't know the sound of her voice really iritates me. Comes accross as preaching as opposed to reasoned discussion alot like Kenny TBH.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Gormley for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Richard Bruton.
    He actually knows what he is talking about and has the ability to articulate it.

OK since this seems to be aimed at competent public speakers rather than issues (which is a good light hearted change), can I ask OP about past Taoiseach?

I would rate Reynolds and Fitzgerald highly for public speaking skills, Ahern and Bruton as try harder.

Well, Jack Lynch had great emphasis on words, clarity and articulation.

Ahern lacked strength in voice and conviction - but didn't necessarily need to do so in his position during those economic times... (Not sure even if he would be able to do so now).

Fitzgerald - yes, natural speaking style, easy flowing and rarely came across as overly rehearsed or scripted...

Sorry for going off topic on this - I know i asked for current election party leaders - but because he's so close to this still - Cowen was a phenomenal debater.

If you remember him before heading into the role of Taoiseach - he was quick off the mark/easily able to respond to opinions and thoughts put to him.

As soon as he got into his role of Taoiseach - he proved a huge disappointment when standing up and addressing his audience where he was asked to 'deliver' a message, instead of debate it back and forth....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Leo Varadkar is a great speaker and also a good spoofer. On the leaders I would have to say Gormley.

Sorry for going off topic on this - I know i asked for current election party leaders - but because he's so close to this still - Cowen was a phenomenal debater.

If you remember him before heading into the role of Taoiseach - he was quick off the mark/easily able to respond to opinions and thoughts put to him.

As soon as he got into his role of Taoiseach - he proved a huge disappointment when standing up and addressing his audience where he was asked to 'deliver' a message, instead of debate it back and forth....

Not off topic at all, good point, Cowen was a very strong debater. Jack Lynch I have watched on older TV recordings and thought he was very articulate.

Ivan Yeates is an odd one for me good pronounciation, clear but tone of his voice seems a little weak.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭fred252

i was impressed by gormley.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

Moan Burton

Well she isn't much of a speaker, more of a shouter - she's certainly the best shouter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭GSF

Michael Noonan in terms of fluency, ability to think on his feet and wit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭RedXIV

GSF wrote: »
    Michael Noonan in terms of fluency, ability to think on his feet and wit.

It'd be Noonan for me too, really stood out for some reason

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

In order of impressiveness:

Michael Noonan,
    John Gormley,
    Joe Higgins

Newcomer award: Eoin O'Brion

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

Jackie Healy-Rae!:D

Benbecul97 wrote: »
    Jackie Healy-Rae!:D

Whose gonta pay te feed the Gondolas?

Surprised no one mentioned Pearse Doherty....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

Gormley of the leaders. The rest are terrible.

Noonan of the rest. Although I wouldn't say he's a great orator, just a great political talker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

Best speaker/debater of the leaders, Adams followed by Gilmore.

As an orator, I'd go with Gilmore.

I think Enda Kenny has the charisma of a wooden spoon. Micheal Martin is too snappy and childish. Gormley always comes across well.

Of the others, Ruairi Quinn & Roisin Shortall in Lab definitely didn't get enough exposure. Bruton and Noonan in FG did well. Hannafin always lectures and scolds rather than speaks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭gent9662

I think Richard Bruton is the best speaker. Shame he is not leading FG into government. If he was I would think FG would have an overall majority

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭Shelga

I think Richard Bruton and John Gormley come across as the most intelligent, gentlemanly speakers. Agree that Bruton should be the leader of FG. I dislike Micheal Martin- there's just something incredibly slimy about his whole demeanour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭analucija

Noonan and Richard Boyd Barrett (for somebody who makes so little sense, he is very easy to listen to). :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Adrian009

Hi All,

Just wondering who you thought has been the best public speaker of this election?

Outside of your party favourite - who do you think showed the best speaking style in their mannerisms and ability to properly communicate their message when addressing an audience?

(Whether you loved or loathed the message)

For me it was a three-way tie of (in no particular order) Noonan, Pearse Doherty and Enda Kenny. Ignored FF because I hate them after what they've done to the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭DJCR

Best Leader - Micheal Martin.

Enda Kenny - Apparently has a 5 point plan and can't make an assumption two days ahead of an election, how has he planned for the future if he can't see the obvious - won't answer any questions either.

Eamonn Gilmore - He's just been so dissapointing, thought he was going to be so much better.

Otherwise, best speakers include (IMO) P.Doherty (don't agree with his views but he speaks with conviction), Bruton (Though his gaff the other night about not being the "figures" guy was funny) & Ming Flanagan !!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭Poor Craythur

I thought Michelle Mulherin spoke well on radio yesterday. But I am giving her my number one so I accept that my view might be a bit biased. :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 30 Eureka_Bg

Michael Noonan, by a country mile!

Advertisement