Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Plumbing question?

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Differs to the conversation I had with my Ecssa inspector last week.

I have backed up my posts with a link to CER's "Restricted Works Decision Paper" so you don't have to take my word for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭shane 007

Sheesh, typical electricians come into the Plumbing Forum & start arguing with each other on a Plumbing Question thread! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭richieburke01

I no Yeah:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

2011 wrote: »
    I have backed up my posts with a link to CER's "Restricted Works Decision Paper" so you don't have to take my word for it.

I cant back up mine unless you want me to get my inspector to register on boards.ie, must ring my inspector to state his mistake.

I cant back up mine unless you want me to get my inspector to register on boards.ie, must ring my inspector to state his mistake.

If you could please, I always wanted to ban me a inspector:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Regardless, of what he says CER's "Restricted Works Decision Paper" is the law and this document is very clear.
    I pasted the relevant part into post #21.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭shane 007

2011 wrote: »
    The Restricted Electrical Works is law.
    Break it and if pursued you can face criminal prosecution.

I think you may have misread my post. I said any works outside the consumer unit are a standard & nobody doing so is not committing a criminal offence. If they cause harm or negligence, they would be pursued by the HSA. I then went on to say that if the culprit does work within the consumer unit, he is indeed breaking the law & it would be the CER that would pursue this.
    The ECTI in all cases would only be there on an advisory role. This is identical as RGII. All illegal gas works is pursued by the CER & RGII is involved as an advisory.

On that note I will leave you plumbers alone :)

Goodnight :D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

A: Competent Person:For the purposes of the relevant statutory provisions, a person is deemed to be a competent person where, having regard to the task he or she is required to perform and taking account of the size or hazards (or both of them) of the undertaking or establishment in which he or she undertakes work, the person possesses sufficient training, experience and knowledge appropriate to the nature of the work to be undertaken.

In order to carry out the certification for the maintenance and inspection of Portable equipment, a competent person must possess the following:
    (a) Sufficient training
    (b) Experience
    (c) Knowledge appropriate to the nature of the work.

This means that the three elements must be satisfied by the following:
    (a) Sufficient appropriate training is of a standard demonstrated by being qualified to the National Craft Certificate (electrical) level or equivalent;
    (b) Have sufficient experience (a newly qualified electrician may not have sufficient experience, may require additional training and supervision);
    (c) Must possess knowledge appropriate to the nature of the work; must be in a position to carry out knowledgeable testing with appropriate test instruments and be in a position to analyse the results and complete appropriate test record sheets.

At present a qualified experienced electrician is competent to carry out testing and verification.
    A qualified electrician who has fulfilled (a) (b) and (c) above is competent to carry out testing and verification.

This quotation only refers to competency in 'general terms' in the first paragraph.
    The rest of it is only competence for the testing etc of portable equipment

DGOBS wrote: »
    This quotation only refers to competency in 'general terms' in the first paragraph.

Agreed, but this statement (extracted from that very paragraph) says it all in very clear unambiguous language: ".....the person possesses sufficient training, experience and knowledge appropriate to the nature of the work to be undertaken."

I think this says it all, why would you want anything more specific?
    What would be gained by more detail?
    This is a simple statement that gets the point accross.
    The rest of it is only competence for the testing etc of portable equipment

I posted that after midnight, what can I say...? I got carried away with my copy and pasting :)

This does not take from my point which is dealt with in the first paragraph, which is: A person carrying out electrical work should be competent.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

Agreed, the first paragraph is a great definition of competency

Advertisement