Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alan Turing

Options
  • 24-12-2013 10:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2013/dec/24/enigma-codebreaker-alan-turing-royal-pardon

I'm sure that plenty of history buffs and programmers know all about the positive influence that this man had over WW2 and computing. For those who don't know he cracked the code used by German U-Boats in the war and is considered by many to be the father of modern computing.

What many people don't know is that unfortunately he was a gay man at a time when it was illegal to be so. He was convicted of this in the 50's and among other things, was subjected to chemical castration for his 'crime'. Sadly he died in 1954 as a result of this.

Today he has been pardoned for something he never should have been convicted for 60 odd years after the fact. While sadly this won't do anything for him, at least his reputation has been dragged out of the mud.

Alan Turing, a genius snuffed out by the prevailing social attitude of his time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

Live by the sword die by the sword...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

He got shafted for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Limecube

Bletchley Park is well worth the visit

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 806 ✭✭✭getzls

P_1 wrote: »
    http://www.theguardian.com/science/2013/dec/24/enigma-codebreaker-alan-turing-royal-pardon

Today he has been pardoned for something he never should have been convicted for

Why is that? It was a crime at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭camel jockey

Sadly he died in 1954 as a result of this.

OP, can you clarify exactly what you mean here? The wording is open to misinterpretation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

getzls wrote: »
    Why is that? It was a crime at the time.

And it shouldn't have been, try keep up sweetie.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

krudler wrote: »

WWF Smackdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

The Polish role in breaking the engima in usually understated. Then again according to U 571 it was pretty much the Americans triumph.

OP, can you clarify exactly what you mean here? The wording is open to misinterpretation.

He took his own life by eating an apple laced with cyanide because of it.

One of the greatest minds if the 20th century, no doubt he saved millions of lives without harming anyone. He pretty much devolped the baseline for computer science

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Today he has been pardoned for something he never should have been convicted for 60 odd years after the fact. While sadly this won't do anything for him, at least his reputation has been dragged out of the mud.

I wouldnt go as far to say that now. he is considered a hero in manchester (and deservedly so) and in many parts of the uk

• Advertisement

cisk wrote: »
    He took his own life by eating an apple laced with cyanide because of it.

One of the greatest minds if the 20th century, no doubt he saved millions of lives without harming anyone. He pretty much devolped the baseline for computer science

I'm aware of how he died, however the OP's wording was ambiguous in that it could have been interpreted as meaning his death was a direct result of the chemical castration. It should also be noted that his family believe it was accidental.

No need for the 'history lesson'...I'm well aware of his achievements and legacy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭Muise...

Pardon all convicted of the crime at the time, not just the heroes. And make sure everyone learns what this man did, and what they did to him.

I'm aware of how he died, however the OP's wording was ambiguous in that it could have been interpreted as meaning his death was a direct result of the chemical castration. It should also be noted that his family believe it was accidental.

No need for the 'history lesson'...I'm well aware of his achievements and legacy.

Well arent you a delight. The latter part was simply a comment on the man. No need to be so aloof.

cisk wrote: »
    Well arent you a delight. The latter part was simply a comment on the man. No need to be so aloof.

No need to be so arrogant and think you are the smartest person in the room. Read your original response to my original post. Your second paragraph answered a question I didn't ask. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

The general experience of being jailed, the chemical castration and the distrust placed on him over the time (the Soviet spy scare). Of course the suicide/accident debate is a reasonable one but suffice to say, the man probably wouldn't have died in 1954 if he didn't get jailed and discredited.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 806 ✭✭✭getzls

Why not, as i said it was a crime at the time.

Any other crimes you would like to disregard?

Murder? Rape? littering?:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭Muise...

No need to be so arrogant and think you are the smartest person in the room. Read your original response to my original post. Your second paragraph answered a question I didn't ask. :)

easy lads! cisk's summary of Turing's life is as important the details of his death.

He was chemically castrated for doing absolutely nothing wrong. It's amazing how far we've moved since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

I'm sure that plenty of history buffs and programmers know all about the positive influence that this man had over WW2 and computing. For those who don't know he cracked the code used by German U-Boats in the war and is considered by many to be the father of modern computing.

What many people don't know is that unfortunately he was a gay man at a time when it was illegal to be so. He was convicted of this in the 50's and among other things, was subjected to chemical castration for his 'crime'. Sadly he died in 1954 as a result of this.

Alan Turing, a genius snuffed out by the prevailing social attitude of his time.
    About ****ing time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

As much as I agree this is a good thing,is there no other way they can absolve him of the 'crime' without pardoning him?The word 'pardon' does kind of imply guilt on his behalf,which I don't believe there should be when an unjust law like this is involved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I'm not entirely certain but does pardoning not insinuate that they're letting him off for committing a crime, when in fact the entire thing should've been reversed?

Might seem like nitpicking but you'd hope they're not saying "he was a really good man so we'll let his transgressions slide".

I don't know why it's taken so long and I don't know why they can't issue a blanket statement dispelling the notion that any of the homosexuals treated in this way did anything wrong.

I know politicians are a backwards bunch but I would've thought that, outside the house of Lords (because they're unelected, often old and in some cases members of the clergy) and the far right parties, there would be very little resistance to the idea.

Advertisement